A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 316,621
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHE-RA! The Princess of POWER!  (Read 28913 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: November 03, 2009 11:54:49 PM »

Hope everyone had a happy Hallowe'en!

I happen to idolize strong female fictional characters Tongue My poor Xena Warrior Princess costume has seen at least 7 Hallowe'ens over the last 13 years I've had it, and I REALLY wanted something cool and unique for this year.

Enter a strong, moral, female warrior from an obscure 80s cartoon:

http://www.queermusicheritage.us/AUG2005/sheRa.gif

SHE-RA! THE PRINCESS OF POWER!

For those of you who are clueless as to who she is, she's He-Man's sister who was kidnapped and raised by Skeletor, except she turned to good after revelations about her past.

First I made a plan:

Then off to Fabricland! White jersey, yellow polyester with gold feather print, gold broadcloth, batting, interfacing, gold cord, gold sparkle ribbon, and two 2" gems came to about $32 Canadian.

The first thing I made (and screwed up) was the head wings. I was soooo proud, I showed the electrician for my building, the secretary in the shop downstairs, my superintendent Tongue I had to remake one of the wings, and the gem was originally silver (had to sandpaper off the backing and paint it red; same with the blue chest gem).

Then I adjusted BurdaStyle's Lydia into a tank top with a pointed front. The applique actually turned out really great and was way easier than I'd feared. The boob wings needed a tack half-way up to keep them from flopping. Notice the awesome feather print? Cheesy

I made an ovoid "circle" skirt for the bottom half and the belt is velcroed at the front of the dress so that it wouldn't shift around. I'm kinda sad I didn't have time to make bracers or spats. I made-do with butchered sandals tied to my feet with the gold cord.

What do you think, was my hair big enough???

Wish I had better pix, but I'm already half in the bag in those last ones and I wasn't about to take my camera to the bar Tongue I'm pretty disappointed that only about 4 people at the bar recognized my character ("No, for the umpteenth time, I'm not Sailor Moon"), so I guess 25 is old??? Which makes me question why 15 year olds are wearing retro 80s t-shirts...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010 01:45:37 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009 02:40:34 AM »

OMG!! that is fantastic, my dd was a big fan of She -Ra as well.She used to wear her costume all the time when she was 3 or 4. She turned 29 the other week & was so happy with the She -Ra dvd i bought her  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mocka_moo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009 02:43:41 AM »

OMG... I linked this to My cousin she was named after She-ra.... LMAOO Katrina She-ra is her name spelled just like that lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wowzers...
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Mocka
savage pixie

will sew for shoes

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009 06:26:55 AM »

This is great! I still love She-Ra and have always wanted to do a costume. You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
lorizathm
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009 10:10:50 AM »

Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso
amalgam
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009 11:42:03 AM »

I'm pretty disappointed that only about 4 people at the bar recognized my character ("No, for the umpteenth time, I'm not Sailor Moon"), so I guess 25 is old??? Which makes me question why 15 year olds are wearing retro 80s t-shirts...

I love your costume, especially your headband. I wonder about 15 year olds wearing retro 80s shirts now too. I know many 80s cartoons are getting revamped and I'm sure their are kids that are discovering the originals. Plus, don't forget, you were in a bar. They may have been too drunk to think back to the 80s. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverhart
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009 03:08:30 PM »

Totally feel ya there!  i feel old all the time...i saw a kid with a ziggy stardust shirt on and i said "dude i love david bowie!"  and he was like "who??"

i almost hit mahself in the face...

but your costume is amazing...and they should just feel left out for missing our sweet 80s cartoons! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randomthoughts
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009 07:35:04 PM »

Awesome! I loved she-ra. You should add the red cape next year Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dem

I love yarn ever so much.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009 10:19:49 PM »

Dude.
If She-ra wasn't my idol, you totally could be.
Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolspeak
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009 10:51:50 PM »

OMG I WAS SHE-RA FOR HALLOWEEN TOOOOOO!!!!! I dont have any good pics yet.  im going to have my brother take some, he's a photographer.  i'll post them soon! yours looks great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...