A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cinderella Lino reduction Block print-Image heavy  (Read 6692 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , reducing , linoleum , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hika-chan
Self Appointed Queen of the Leemars

A Mom enjoying my own adventures in Craftsterland!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2009 11:15:03 PM »

So this is my fist posted tutorial on here and I'm sure it's been done before, but in case not, here is mine.

This was a class project for my color theory class. We did reduction linoleum prints, so that's what I will be talking about.

Step 1: Creating your idea image
You can do this free hand- like I did, or you can find a computer/book image. Remember though that your image will be a reverse, so all words need to be carved backwards.

Step 2: Gathering supplies

The supplies you need:
* Paper -good water color paper will work or ask your local craft store about block printing papers
* linoleum block
* speedball carving tool (speedball is the brand name I used-art media has a linoleum kit for 20.00 if you have one around you)
*Ink- (you can use other mediums as well they just have to be thick. I tried Acrylics and they are too thin or at least mine were. The ink I used was speedball. You can add small amounts of tempras to them to change colors though, so you dont have to buy several different inks. Unless you want to )
* Retardant- You NEED this! It keeps your ink from drying out in seconds. No you can't add water, I tried. It become a horrible mess.
*Brayer- You can use a small house  roller as well. A paint brush doesnt apply the ink evenly so its not a great idea for beginners like me.
*Mixing area- something to mix your paint/ink in. I used a kitchen plate because the inks/paint are non toxic. And water based- so they wash away even after dried.
*mixing utensil- if you oil paint, a paint knife is ideal. I used my kitchen butter knife and it worked fine. Just takes longer to completely mix ink.
*Press- you can buy one or make one-which I will talk about later. If you make one, you will need foam core and really tacky glue.
*Baby wipes- these are super awesome for cleaning your block, but not necassary.
*spoon or extra brayer- this will be for the actual pressing.
Anything else pictured is my kids' stuff. they were crafting with me that day.

On the  left is the image in my notebook that I created for this project. I grided the image in order to transfer it onto my block. You can use carbon paper though if you image is the size or smaller of your block. Ink and pencil stay on very well through inking and washing. In the middle is my block. i have already cut away my first cut. On the right- is a colored copy of my image that I can use a a reference. This isnt necassary, but was a huge help for me.
Also, when planning your image, remember that you will go from lightest color (white if you want it) to darkest. It was helpful to me to write down each shade and which parts of the image I wanted that to be. So for example: shade 2 was her hair color. and remember that each shade/color can be multiple parts of your image. for example: the background and the shading on the pumpkin are the same color (see finished image).

Step 3: Make your press- (this can be skipped if you have a better method)

My "press" is made of foam core that I cut up and glued together. So cut your foam core  inot a size larger than your block. You will need 2 " strips as well for the left or right side and then the top of the board. So remember that when cutting your base. (note: the 2" will give you 2" around on your paper. putting your image 2" for each side. These can be changed to any size you want.)
Now you will take your super tacky glue and glue down the first strip on top and side. Make sure that you line them up perfectly or you will have a hard time when it comes time to press. Continue to do this until your block is just slightly higher than the foam core side and top. I used tacks to secure my images to my press board, but you can also use tape.  On to step 4.

Step 4: start cutting!
Remember that what you cut from the block should be the white areas. Like in mine, I cut out her face, arm, neck and the small lace area I wanted on the corset dress. When you have it the way you want, move to step 5. (see image above for my first cut in the block)

Step 5: prepare paper and ink
here you take small pieces of tape and fold them over on themselves , leaving a small sticky part on the bottom. Attatch the sticky part to the back of your paper. Now prepare the lightest shade you want. This will be your first color. Remember to add the retardant!
Roll the brayer into the ink and try to get an even coat on the brayer. This can be tricky. You'll get the hang of it after the first few tries.

Step 6: Ink away!
Attatch your tape tags with tacks to your foam press. I then drew lines on the press and marked it and the tape with a number. That way I can try to put it down in the same spot EVERY TIME. If you come up with a better way, PLEASE share it with me. This was the worst part. also if you try to put all the tape tags in the same spot on each paper sheet, it will make things easier. Learned that the hard way. ^-~ Now roll ink ontop your block. Place block firmly against top and side panels on your press board and gently push tacked paper onto the block. Take you spoon and firmly run it in circles ALL over the area the block is at. This will transfer ink from the block to your paper. See image below: note how the paper is attatched at top.

Gently peel the paper off the block when you are done. If you have an extra clean brayer, you can use that instead of the spoon. And metal or wood spoons will work. Just use a flat one. I used a tablesppon. If your color havs white spots that are not intentional, you either forgot the retardant and the ink strated to dry or you didnt applie enough ink. You can ink the block again and try to lay the paper in the same spot, or with these earlier colors (deepending on how many you do) it wont matter as it will most likely get covered up by another color with the next inking.

This is what you should have after you have pressed your image and pulled the paper back with the block still in your press:note the mirror image-

Now you have the option of "ghosting" which is where if you have tons of ink still on your block you can just apply the next paper. Or you can reink your block and press the next paper. or you can wash your block like you are supposed to and then reink your block. I didnt do that as I was having a hard time getting rid of the white spots. It seemed to help. But its a big no-no or so my teacher said. ^-~

Now hang that one up to dry somewhere. I put mine on the over hang in my kitchen so my kids wouldnt play with them.

Now when you are all done with inking your first set, wash your block. The baby wipes are really helpful here. Once your block is washed and dry (the block gets really fragile for cutting when wet), you can now cut out any areas of that color you just applied that you want to keep. So for example in the image below, I wanted to keep the hair a light color but wanted shaded areas. So I cut out on the block, the spots I wanted to keep the light areas. After the inking, it looked like the image below (which has had 3 inking and 3 cuts to the block done.

Then when finished with that, reink all your papers with the next darkest color. Which in the picture above would be the shading I wanted for the hair.
Now continue this process until you are done.

The next 2 images should give you a better idea of what I cut out to keep the lighter color and left for the darker color. The paper was inked and then I cut the block for the next inking. Notice the differences and where I wanted darker color.

And lastly, the final image after I cut 8 times and used 7 shades. The white spots are glitter I applied while it was drying. This is the bronze image so to speak. The best two got turned into my teacher and I was a dork and forgot to photograph them first. Notice how the line dont quite match up. This is due to me not putting my tape tags in the same spot.

Thanks for looking and I hope this helps anyone who wants to take a stab at reduction printing.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. i will do my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 11:16:18 PM by Hika-chan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists http://=http://www.wists.com/Hika-chan/
blog http://motherinwonderland.blogspot.com/

I love to swap ATCs. Let me know if you're interested.
Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 11:48:48 PM »

ow coool Smiley
I have a question though, so you can only do this one time? (the printing) 'cause you are carving deeper and deeper no?
(am I making sense?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hika-chan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009 01:02:54 AM »

Yes, that is correct. Once you have finished, your block is pretty much useless. Thats why you do a large number of prints ( or print on a large amount of papers) while you are going about the process. If you do a black or dark outline as your last cut, you will end up with a reuseable stamp however. That makes the process a bit more productive in my oppinon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009 02:16:03 AM »

Oh wow, thank you so much for posting this!  I have been wanting to give something like this a try for a loooong time but I can't afford to take a class so I was kind of clueless.  I'm bookmarking to use for once I stock up on materials.   Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hika-chan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009 01:16:05 PM »

You're welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009 02:57:01 PM »

like it.

(my teacher allowed us to reink without cleaning :-) we used oil based colour tough)

have you tried to step on the thing for the "actual printing" instead of using a spoon? might be fun for the kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saintvier
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009 07:25:56 PM »

I'm not sure what type of ink we use in my print lab (they're oil-based but I'm not sure of specifics), but we use clove oil as a retardant. That's only if we're going to be messing in our ink film for quite a long while, though. It makes everything smell amazing, which is a definite plus!

A really good solvent for cleaning linoleum blocks (when using oil-based inks) is mineral spirits. Make sure you're in a well-ventilated room with no open flames/fire starters, of course!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hika-chan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009 05:25:53 PM »

Erdbeerblau: I have not tried stepping on it. That's an awesome idea. I bet my kiddos would love that. We will try that out. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Saintvier: We used water based inks, so I'm not sure how the oil based ones react. But thanks for providing info on them. Me and oil paints don't go well together, so I am assuming that  oil inks are the same way. But I would love my house smelling like cloves. Mmmmm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010 10:55:39 PM »

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010 04:50:25 PM »

did you try the stepping-method? (that's what we did in class when the press was not availlable  Cheesy)

if you use oil colour, keep in mind that it takes a few days to dry for every layer. my class was weekly and we could print one layer every week, so it was okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Coachella-Cool With This Easy Nail Art Tutorial
How You Can Brighten Your Smile Instantly
Georgia May Jagger Describes How Dad Mick Inspires Her Style
Head-Turning Prom Makeup
7 Spring Polishes to Rock Your Next Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...