A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WoW: troll shaman and orc warrior  (Read 69044 times)
Tags for this thread: world_of_warcraft , costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , wow , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebeatcowboy

what doesn't kill us makes us stranger...

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009 04:25:36 PM »

It all started with an ax and a mace:

My boyfriend and I were wandering around a local markdown store, when I came across a plastic battle ax amongst the Halloween props and costumes.  "Hey!" says I, "they have a battle ax like [your Warcraft character] Pugool's!"  Says he, "Yeah, and they have a one-handed mace over there like [your Warcraft character] Agriveda's!"

We looked at each other and in a moment of synchronicity exclaimed:
"WE SHOULD BE OUR WARCRAFT CHARACTERS FOR HALLOWEEN!!!!"

Those fateful words began the month of sweat, tears, screaming and hot glue burns that was the making of our World of Warcraft costumes.  This was a labor of love from both me and my boyfriend, and I am super proud of our hard work.  First, the goodies:

Meet Agriveda the lvl 77 troll shaman and Pugool the lvl 80 orc warrior:

/cast Healing Wave

/flex

A model of my character in her gear, circa level 75

For the Horde!

"Lok'tar!!"

A model of his character in his gear

The making-of was a long and arduous thing.  For reference I used some screen caps and downloaded the very helpful WoW model viewer here: http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/

Most of Pugool's armor was made using the tutorial from Jia Jem with some minor revisions made for the sake of time and money.  We did only one layer of paper mache and skipped the paper clay layer all together.  I love Jia Jem and her work, and her tutorials are the best: http://www.jiajem.com/armor.html

The card board shapes for Pugool's legs and arms.

Pugool's shoulders and some other pieces in the paper mache stage.  The white piece in the middle is his chest plate with one coat of gesso on it.

One of my shoulder pieces halfway through the painting process.  Base layers of metallic spray paint, then acrylic were put down.  The photo shows the left side before antiquing and the right side after antiquing.  Antiquing in this case was just painting on some thinned black acrylic, then wiping it off with a paper towel, leaving some paint in the crevices.

A lot of my armor is sewn vinyl and fabric, with some Crayola Model Magic for sculpted details.  I approximated chain mail with a crocheted sweater spraypainted silver and bronze.  My totem is sculpted foam painted with acrylics. 

The wig is a Punky XL in blue from Cosworx: http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=16463&cat=2471&page=1  Many hours of styling and almost a whole can of Aquanet went into that bad boy.

This is the wig on my improvised wig head: a pillow cinched onto the top of a vacuum cleaner with a belt.

We're both wearing Razorback teeth from Dental Distortions: http://www.dentaldistortions.com/product_info.php?products_id=18

Here's a makeup test while I was figuring out how blue I wanted to be.  You can see the ears before I painted them ($2 from a Halloween store!) with my earrings in.  Also check out the sweet necklace, with real bone beads!

We went to my boyfriend's office party, where we were a big hit.

Comments and criticism welcome! I lived and breathed these costumes for a month so I'm sure I can talk at great length about them  Undecided .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaleAngelLex
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 04:29:13 PM »

OMG!
You see night elves all the time, but this is so much cooler!
FOR THE HORDE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009 04:31:22 PM »

ZOMG!  This is made of Win.  You two are the spitting image of your characters!!  wonderfully done!
Oh, and I think it's awesome you made a totem.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 04:32:48 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thebeatcowboy

what doesn't kill us makes us stranger...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009 04:37:12 PM »

You see night elves all the time, but this is so much cooler!
I KNOW!  Cosplay.com is lousy with night elves and succubi  Tongue  Sadly lacking in trolls Smiley

You two are the spitting image of your characters!!
Well, my boyfriend's alt is a blood elf warlock, but at 6'4" and 270 lbs, he didn't exactly fit the body type  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RikkiTikki
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009 04:45:28 PM »

Holy crap you just made me want to play WoW again.  I'm beyond impressed by these costumes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009 04:58:07 PM »

EPIC WIN!  I think this are especially awesome since I am also a female troll shaman, and we get no love at all.

How did you do your gloves?  They look perfect in the pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ulcdmj
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009 05:22:00 PM »

H_____ YES! This is awesome! You guys really put the love into these costumes and they came out perfect! I am still.......speechl ess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009 06:07:47 PM »

Oh yes, totally made of win. Incredible.

I know your post is totally detailed already but I personally couldn't get enough of this so if you feel like telling more I'm all ears. ('Cause none of mine are on your belt *snicker*.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
cherrybombz
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009 06:21:11 PM »

I love this!! My hubby and I play to. I am a lvl 80 warlock and he is a lvl 80 warrior. We flipped when we saw these!! Very creative!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm weird because I refuse to be normal =D
Glitter Girl
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009 06:34:09 PM »

Totally love your costumes! You two did a wonderful job! I'm always glad to see fellow WoW crafters  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I only look sweet and innocent
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Half Double Crochet
How to Reuse Soda Tabs
How to Crochet an iPad Case
How to Arrange a Nativity Scene
How to Build a Bookcase
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...