A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafting for patients?  (Read 3964 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TAYL3RR0X
« on: November 03, 2009 03:41:15 PM »

Crafting For Patients?
Hi. I was thinking about making items to deliver to my local children's hospital for the children with cancer and other terminal illnesses. I was thinking about doing Care Packages for the patients....what should I put in them? Also, I was thinking of maybe doing mini blankets. How would I go about doing this? Do you have a better idea for it?

Please lemme Know!
Thank you sooo much in advance!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Baby i know sometimes its gonna rain, but baby can we make up now cuz i can't sleep thru the pain"
-Ne-Yo "Mad"
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 07:46:49 AM »

Maybe checking with the hospital first to see what's off limits and what they really need or want and go from there? Such a wonderful idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lolaforpresident
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009 01:58:43 PM »

Toys. Make toys. I have a baby who has seizures and we have been out of town twice now to see a doctor. It feels awful and parents are so exhausted. Nothing brightens everyones mood when they open a package with something homemade.

Dolls, cars, and I don't know what else. And maybe a note of encouragement to the parents. Travel things? Like little soaps and shampoos. Things for the kids and parents to do while waiting for the doctor. Maybe a little backpack. vegbee on indietutes has a wonderful toddler backpack that does not require velcro or zippers.

I hope this helped. I don't really know what crafts you do, but I do know how it is to travel and be in the hospital with a baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemisscraft

Crafting through cancer and sharing my crafts!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009 06:52:06 PM »

From my experience staying in the hospital, it is usually really cold in there.  Fuzzy warm socks and knit/fleece caps would be really nice for the kids.

For activities, maybe coloring books and crayons.

Also a note of encouragement to the patient and their caregivers is a nice touch.  Just knowing that other people care can really lift one's spirit!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Living life filled with hope and sharing my crafts with you at my website and my Twitter!**
lolaforpresident
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009 08:35:04 PM »

But the socks should have grippers on the bottoms because hospital floors are slippery.

And pillows. Hospital beds suck. When I had my son I could not get pregnant. Maybe a bookmark. Or a worry stone. Or something that smells nice. Or some cards. I don't know what else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009 08:56:55 AM »

Hospitals are cold and really boring when you spend alot of time in them.  Mini blankets or throws, slippers/socks, cool hats (for cancer patients), fingerless mitts,  fun little books and games, fabric flowers (anyone with comprimised immunity cannot have live flowers), fun small things to hang off IV poles, a nifty pillowcase...  I would avoid anything that smells though, especially with cancer patients because its difficult to tell what might make you lose your lunch.  I think a nice card for the parents/caregivers is a great idea too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
lindseylee21
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009 11:33:25 AM »

Having worked in a children's hospital, I can tell you that they are cautious with homemade items because of infection control. For example, at the hospital where I worked we could accept knitted caps or socks but they had to be machine washed before we could take them. Anything machine washable should be fine. Anything that can be cleaned easily is best - keep infection control in mind! We could not accept any kind of home made foods because of patient allergies and infection control. Blankets are great, especially for pediatric patients, as are cute things to hang from IV poles like another poster mentioned. Hand sanitizer is nice, as are mini shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes, and other toiletry items for parents who have to stay a long time with their child. Making cards is great but if they're for cancer patients or other potentially terminally ill patients, you might want to stay away from phrases like "Get Well" because some people never do. Stick with things like "Have a good day" or something like that. Also, even if you say "I want this to go to terminally ill patients only" they may not be able to do that because of patient confidentiality. Whoever receives your donation may have no idea which patients are 'terminal' and which ones are not; we always used to ask if it was ok to give donations to any patient since you never know who might be having a bad day and could use a treat. The hospital should be able to tell you what they need the most so I would also recommend calling ahead. You are so sweet to do this for patients and I know they will appreciate it.  Smiley  Happy holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010 05:37:11 PM »

pretty patchwork pillowcases filled with a few toiletries and little washer. maybe a washable toy like a duckie
nothing worse than your face on a hospital pillow for months on end a washable pillowcase can be put on and off and can be gifted home or recyced for other children or patients to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010 10:42:26 AM »

bringing them Mini blankets is a good idea, or even those small stuff toys. but yeah, make sure first what the limitations are as per the hospital so your efforts wouldnt be thrown away
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
sparrowlegs
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010 06:44:55 AM »

hi when my great aunt was in hospital, her room was cold and drafty, so I popped home and made her a patchwork lap quilt, she loved it, and would put it over her legs, or shoulders, other family members and patients asked where I got it,.....yes I ended up making 10 of them(they were so grateful), I used bargain bin scraps, and some wodding, and washed them before I took them in,
sometimes I think the elderly can be over looked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Stock on fixmyrecipe.com
Crock Pot Roast
Waffle House Waffles Recipe
How to make Mushroom Sliders
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...