A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Button Designs for Autism!  (Read 636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nerdrage42
« on: January 06, 2011 01:55:32 PM »

Hi guys! I am a button maker and I am currently collecting ideas for buttons that really speak about autism to the non-autism savvy community.

I got the idea when I saw on the autism speaks website that they have custom buttons that say something like "Be patient, my brother has autism".

I kind of want to take it one more step...I'm pretty proactive with my own son who is autistic, and I'll let people know that he's not trying to be rude or interupt and have his meltdowns (which he can't easily stop on his own or calm down).

I thought I'd throw a little lightheartedness into my button designs.

Like, I had an idea for "I'm autistic...what's your excuse for being so weird?" or "Autistic kids aren't odd, you just don't think like they do." or "I'm not a kid 'throwing a fit', this place just doesn't get Autism."

If I hear one more snide comment about how my child is "throwing a tempertantrum" and that he needs to be disciplined...

...that's why I think I'd like to make these buttons for Autism Awareness. Keep a bunch in my purse with a website link to autism education websites.

If you guys have any ideas for short slogans to put on a button, I'd love to hear them. Or if there's anyone out there who would like me to wholesale produce some for your situation, lemme know!

-NerdRage42
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011 08:21:21 AM by kittykill - Reason: To comply with Craftster's guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
carinafox5

yes, husband, I spent THAT much at Hobby Lobby 0:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 09:30:44 AM »

Very good idea! I once thought about having business type cards in my purse, to give those that acted rudely towards my child, that have a little info on autism on them. I actually was going to have shirts made to say.. "I'm autistic.. what's you're excuse?"  and "I'm not odd, I'm autistic" My son doesn't really throw tantrums, but he stims so much that people give him so many mean looks. Usually the look of disgust. Like the look you'd give someone that just rubbed a booger on your couch or something.. Grocery stores, parks, playgrounds.. even at his school in the morning the other parents aren't pleasant to be around at times. My little guy is happy and laid back all the time.. When he's happy, he moans, flaps like a birdie, and thumps his chest a few times. Recently, he has also taken to spinning slowly in place. The glares I receive ,and once was able to ignore with no effort, are getting harder and harder to not answer back with my own glare.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Forget Edward and Jacob...Team Jareth Smiley
http://wists.com/carinafox5
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Baby Chicken Costume
How to Make Stylish Yarn Bangle Bracelets
Best Dressed Celebrities: Kate Hudson, Blake Lively, Alessandra Ambrosio
Retail Stores That Offer Student Discounts
China Is The Fastest Growing Luxury Market
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...