Hi folks! I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first original post. I've hosted Halloween parties for the past 5 years, but usually only get around to my costume at the last minute. This year's party theme was "Heroes and Villains", so, mostly out of a desire to use up a lot of my crafting materials and not spend a lot of money on costume supplies, I came up with my own superhero: Lethal Lace! My super power is the ability to crochet deadly weapons!
I figured this would be a good first post for Craftster
Unfortunately, I didn't get many shots of myself in the costume during the party, so I'll try to get the bf to take some shots of me tonight (and will hopefully update before voting starts). Anyway, here's the best full shot I've found + one with the bf as John McClane
(yes, even my tights had lace on them!)
Detail shots below
top, made from a tutorial posted on the Weekend Designer blog (http://wkdesigner.wordpress.com/2007/09/13/off-shoulder-ruffled-blouse/
). skirt: the top came from an old pencil skirt that I hadn't worn in years. I cut off the bottom and added the petticoat and the overskirt. The petticoat was just a double layer of gathered lace sewn on in rows. The white satin was also just a circle that I gathered in a few places.
Opera gloves from a Lion Brand pattern (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80773AD.html
). I had to add the ribbon on the tops of the arms because they kept sliding down.The shoes were an old pair, which I embellished with lace and ribbon. The ribbon was supposed to wrap up my legs to just under the knee, but they fell down after about 5 steps, so I just wrapped it around my ankles. If anyone knows a good way to keep them up, I'd love to hear it!
Belt + Doilies of Doom! The belt and buckle I won at a friends party a few years ago. I made the medallion for the buckle out of a circle plaque with some white satin, lace gathered around it and ribbon for the letters. The larger doily was from another Lion Brand pattern. I can't remember where I found the pattern for the "ninja stars', but I'll post a link if I find it. I starched them with some watered down glue, and they were fairly stiff.
and finally, the cape! It started out as just a simple rectangle with rows of lace sewn across, but I thought that looked too plain, so I added the tufting with bunches of ribbon, lace, rick rack and whatnot, and also glued on a variety of fake rhinestones and pearls. I gathered the top and added ribbon for the ties. I also added a second layer of pink sheer fabric just to give it more volume (and because I had it). I didn't have a brooch, so I used an old dangly earring to hold the ribbons closed. (ps, please ignore the blood dripping down the styrofoam head. It's an old halloween prop)
Almost all of the materials for this costume came from my stash. In fact, my box of lace (stolen from my mother) doesn't even look like I've touched it. Total cost for the costume came to ~$6 ($5 for a skein of Red Heart Luster Sheen for the opera gloves, $1 for elastic for the top).
There were other things I was going to make for this costume, but didn't get around to. I would have liked to have more weapons and maybe a belt pouch to hold them in. I also tried to make a corset based on the Threadbanger tutorial, but it looked pretty awful, so I didn't use it. I may try to make one from one of the tutorials posted here for future use. I was also planning on making a crocheted mask (pattern: http://web.archive.org/web/20010710000206/members.aol.com/lffunt/mask.html
) but didn't get around to it. If anyone has suggestions for other additions/improvements to this costume, I'd love to hear them!