A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,424
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SIX!! Memory Quilts (lots of pics)  (Read 2122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2009 10:24:34 AM »

so last year i made 5 quilts for a friend and her daughters from her husbands shirts...
(original thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280769.0  )

fast forward to june of this year.  i go away on vacation (yay beach) and come home to a message from a woman i have never met asking if i would make more. longish story short.  her hub had passed and she met my friend at a widows group, saw the quilt i had made for her and wanted ones made for her, her kids and a niece. and last night i put the final stitches on the binding. the recipient selected the patterns and backing fabrics. this one was kinda tricksy.  a lot of these shirts were not 100% cotton.  i constantly had to readjust my iron temperature so i didn't melt or warp the fabrics... but they are backed with flannel and are so toasty...

so.  the girls quilts

the boys quilts

the mom/wife's quilt

the sashing was his old fleecey bathrobe...

all together.

and from behind

kinda funny story. last week i had a small family meeting with an acquaintance (whose father just passed this summer) we were chatting and he noticed a few quilts lying about my parents place.  he said "my mom said apparently there is someone in town who can make shirts into quilts"  i think i may have my next commission...

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 10:49:16 AM »

you're amazing! how long did these take you? I'm just learning to quilt and so far, ahem, haven't gotten far. I applaud those who can.

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009 12:26:01 PM »

What beautiful quilts! You are truly patient and talented.

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

-Oscar Levant

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.

-Erich Fromm
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009 02:26:06 PM »

How lovely!  Great job.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009 12:48:56 PM »

Absolutley Great!

I would love to do a personal swap!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009 12:54:29 PM »

I have the post of your first memory quilts bookmarked... I love these too! I am trying to make a memory quilt for my Grandma of my Grandpas old things but I dont have a lot to work with. These are just beautiful!~ Jeffsweetie
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009 02:59:59 PM »

Oh, what a wonderful gift.  I love how each quilt has extra special meaning for each of the recipient.  You did something so selfless.  What an inspiration!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009 08:25:32 AM »

I love this.  I lost my dad very young.  I was the oldest of my sibs at 23, my dad was only 41.  6 mnths later my brother was killed in a car accident.  That was just over 10 years ago, and I would love to have something like this.  My husband inherited a lot of my dad's clothes, and I still get sentimental when I see them.  My brother didn't leave much behind (he was ony 20), but it would have been nice to make one of these for my mom.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Countdown to Halloween
Meatless Monday: Roasted Acorn Squash Gnocchi
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...