A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candles?  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

savermom
« on: January 11, 2009 04:26:55 PM »

Hello all! I have been enjoying my new hobby of melt and pour soap for the past few months and have been reading here and looking at your own projects for awhile. I hope to post some pics soon of what I have created (as soon as I get enough posts under my belt).

I have a question about making wax tarts. Is this the correct forum for candle questions? If not, could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is elegance? Soap and water!"
-Cecil Beaton

www.brightstarsoaps .etsy.com
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009 05:04:09 PM »

HI there! I think candlemaking is one of those crafts that doesn't really have a good place to post. I think candles and soap making go hand in hand, so posting here or in miscellaneous topics is fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
savermom
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009 06:28:12 PM »

Thanks Mare Mare!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Cecil Beaton

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009 08:55:26 PM »

Hope you get some replies! I had a candle friend, we both did craft fairs together and both did wholesale accounts for the same guy, but haven't seen her at the last couple craft fairs.  Cry  I only ever tried those wax granules things and didn't care for the whole process too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

savermom
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009 04:25:59 AM »

MareMare, I am glad you replied again because I just realized I did not come back and post my question. Ha!

I have a friend that bought about five of my soaps last week and she said she wanted some candles in the same scents. I have been web surfing and I think making wax tarts would be the easiest to start with. I wondered if I could do this with 100% soy wax...anyone tried it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009 03:27:01 PM by savermom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Cecil Beaton

sporadic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009 03:01:55 PM »

MareMare, I am glad you replied again because I just realized I did not come back and post my question. Ha!

I have a friend that bought about five of my soaps last week and she said she wanted some candles in the same scents. I have been web surfing and I think making wax tarts would be the easiest to start with. I wondered if I could do this with 100% soy wax...anyone tried it?

Soy will work fine, but will require *much* more testing than paraffin.  Soy is extremely finicky with fragrance oils which makes the extensive testing a necessity.  What works fine in one brand of soy will produce zero throw in another brand of soy.  This isn't the case with paraffin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
savermom
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009 04:32:42 PM »

That is very good to know. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Cecil Beaton

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009 08:29:13 PM »

Yay for sporadic! I didn't know you knew candles! Awesome possum. (um, I've been trying to cut down on the swearing since I accidently taught my nephew to say something that rhymes with "smasshole"...there has been a lot of "jeez louise" coming out of my mouth too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CatInStitches
ThimbleCat

"Amuse me."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009 08:53:02 AM »

I know this is a moldy oldy topic... just bumping it up in case any further insights or tips are to be had.  ;-)

I'm about to make my first soy wax tarts, with flakes from Eco Soy (melting point of only 125 degrees and microwaveable.)

I am surprised to hear that soy is so finicky about scent since that's not what I've seen elsewhere or been told by other crafters, and the soy tarts I've been melting for years smell amazing (and consistent since I re-order the same scents repeatedly!  Maybe  she has a secret knack that I should beg her for tips on LOL!  Most tartmakers I know use the flakes though, so maybe that would make a difference?

Paraffin will not be an option for me.  It's a nasty petroleum by-product that I don't want to burn in my house, and I know that soot problems can result too.  Someday I'd like to experiment with beeswax too, but poured or dipped.  Those rolled-up ones seem a little scary to attempt.  :-o

My wax has just arrived, a few more fragrance oils and colorants are on their way, so I will be experimenting soon!  I'm not looking to make candles with wicks at this point, just tarts.  Oh, my tins are here too.  Smiley

Any experiences to share?  ;-)  I'm good on a fragrance oil to wax ratio, but haven't a clue on colorant quantities.  Sad
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009 08:54:17 AM by CatInStitches » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April

"Mortals must do what they are here to creatively do or they will become cranky." ~ Jill Badonsky, Muse Channeler  ;-)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim Benton Talks About Franny K. Stein Series
Meet Author Gustavo Arellano
David McCullough Wishes He Had This Talent
Frank Lipman Talks About Spent
Meet Author Sandra Brown
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...