A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Princess Bridesmaid  (Read 1195 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 02, 2009 10:05:40 PM »

My 5 year old chose to be a princess for Halloween. Okay, so originally, she wanted to be something else, but it wasn't within the guidelines of what she was allowed to wear to school. So, her next choice was a princess. Easy, right? I asked her what princess she wanted to be, thinking she would pick something common, like Cinderella or Ariel, but no. She looked through a ton of reference pictures on my computer, and finally picked Buttercup in her wedding dress from The Princess Bride.

We decided to modify the original dress a little. I did shorter drop sleeves, so they would be more manageable. I also had her pick an accent color (purple), because I figured an all white dress in kindergarten would be a disaster.

I made the overall pattern myself by using bits and pieces of other patterns and general sewing knowledge. The skirt part was just one solid panel of fabric gathered at the top where it attaches to the bodice. Though it appears that there is an under dress, there is not. The interior sleeves, as well as the necklines, are attached to the bodice.

The entire dress was made with fabric already found at our house. The skirt and outer sleeves are a lavender bridal satin left over from a bridesmaid dress project. The white satiny material used on the interior sleeves and the collars was bought back when Wal-Mart had a 1.00/yd fabric table (I had a bad habit of buying fabrics that I 'might possibly have a use for in the future' which resulted in 6 giant rubbermaid totes full). The bodice is made of a purple flowered fabric that was given to me in a batch of remnants and was tied with a silver elastic cord.

I also made all of the accessories. For the necklace I strung up a bunch of old pearly looking beads I found in a bottle, and added purple rose pendant that came from a Barbie necklace I had when I was about 12 (Yes, I keep things that long). The crown was made from a piece of white craft foam, sprayed with silver glitter and adorned with flowers cut out of purple and lavender foam.

Here is a picture of my little princess (with her big attitude) before school friday morning.

And some reference photos of what look I was trying to emulate.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/197209_03Nov09_pb2.jpg
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/197209_03Nov09_pb1.jpg

This is a good shot of the back of the dress. It shows that, like the one in the movie, it has a v neck rather than the common scoop neck bodice back. It also shows the lace that trimmed the collar in front and back.

And a reference photo.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/197209_03Nov09_pb3.jpg

Here is a good shot of the necklace and the front collar. It also shows the sleeves somewhat. None of my attempts to get a good shot of the drop sleeves succeeded.

This was my favorite photo for how she was standing, because it showed the sleeves well. It had to be color corrected though (for some reason every photo taken in that room comes out pink) and it messed up the resolution.

This shot shows the drop sleeves okay too, but the lighting was lousy. All weekend it was too bright and too dark in the shade.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009 10:40:54 PM by ojy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Snow Globes Came to Be
DIY Snowglobe Ornaments
Ken Wingard Makes Christmas Stockings
Faux Leather Charms with Tanya Memme
Outdoor Advent Calendar with Sophie Uliano
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...