A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
821 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with frizzy hair  (Read 2664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyclamen
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005 09:22:29 PM »

I had really frizzy hair in high school too - it was thick but also really floofy and flew out all over the place.  I was the totally clueless sort but very self consious about is, especially since this was the mid-nineties and stick straight blonde hair was still all the rage (as, I suppose, it still is - but at the time you never even saw pictures of girls with curly hair in magazines and now once in a while NYLON will do a spread with a chick with hair that's like three feet wide, and I am like, YEAH).   Anyhow, I remember one time this bitchy chick was sitting behind me and she touched my hair and said in a really condescending tone, "Wow, I thought your hair was thick, but it's just coarse."  She might have said gross.  I don't know.  It was mean.

I wish I'd knocked her one in the neck like zombie teeth suggested, or said something like, "You know, *you'd* be really pretty if you weren't such a bitch."  High school is a pain in the ass.  Fight back, you'll feel better.  Okay maybe that's just my baggage...  Smiley

Here are some things you can try, if you want.  If you buy a little tin of pure shea butter (you can get it online for a good price at www.fromnaturewithl ove.com or Marlene's sells it for cheap too) massage some of that into your hair before you go to bed.  It is the best moisturizer for thick, wavy, coarse hair (like mine) or even just dried out damaged hair.  Then shampoo it out in the morning.  I actually use it as a styling creme since I have really wild hair and nothing else works - but it might be too heavy for your hair if it is straight.  You can rub a little olive oil into your hair too, to help with the frizz.

It also sounds weird, but try Neutrogena clean volumizing shampoo and conditioner.  I stayed away from "volumizing" stuff for ages cause I was like, "Why would I want more volume?"  But it smoothed my hair out nice without being too heavy and making my scalp itchy.

Another thing you can try is going shampoo free.  It sounds weird but I have been doing it lately and my hair is really healthy and I haven't had to put shea butter in it or anything.  What you do is dissolve some baking soda in water, and pour it on your hair in the shower and massage it in, then rinse it out; then mix some apple cider vinegar with some water and pour that over your head and massage it in, and rinse it out.  It won't make your hair feel squeaky clean, but that is the point - to leave the good scalp oils on your hair which makes it soft and shiny.  If you can't stand the smell of the vinegar you can add some essential oils to it.  You can mix them in old shampoo bottles and keep in your shower. 

Anyhow this was probably waaaay more detailed than anyone wanted.  Good luck though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iSearchToBeLost
I'll safety pin his clothes all cool and you'll graffiti up his toys...

Don't worry. We can walk to the curb from here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005 08:18:20 AM »

I agree with zombie ... its been a long time since high school and it was hard
You will see those people who tease on their long journey to the bottom ( ithink thats from a movie lol) as you get older..
embrace your individuality it will take you far....be frizzy ... funky .... silly .. and stick with friends who love you for who you are
if you want your hair to be less frizzy just rub a little hand lotion in your hands (dont use to much) and smooth it through your hair.......
good luck
Dawn

"you'll meet them again on their long journey to the middle" -Lester Bangs in ALMSOT FAMOUS- the best movie ever
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sarahknitsnotnever.blogspot.com/

In a perfect world we'd all sing in tune
But this is reality so give me some room
So join the struggle while you may
The Revolution is just a t-shirt away
max

Hooked on Purses

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005 08:36:34 AM »

I too have very curly, frizzy hair. A curly friend suggested a book called "Curly Girl" and now I am more accepting of my curls. She has lots of good advice, mainly to avoid people who want to straighten your hair and just accept your curls. Lots of natural stuff you can put on your hair and ingredients to avoid. She also says to avoid shampoo, you can clean your hair naturally or with conditioner. If you must use shampoo she tells you what ingredients to look for. I was on the verge of another haircut and (disappointing) trip to the beauty shop. The book was well worth the money.
max
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iSearchToBeLost
I'll safety pin his clothes all cool and you'll graffiti up his toys...

Don't worry. We can walk to the curb from here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005 03:03:59 PM »

I LOVE THAT BOOK! it's soooo true. It made me love my curls. try this product called "noodle head". it's the best thing i've ever tried. my mom is a stylist, so she used to bring home alot of fancy stuff- and that never worked. noodle head- we bought at SALLY'S! It works wonders and leaves me with barely any frizz.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sarahknitsnotnever.blogspot.com/

In a perfect world we'd all sing in tune
But this is reality so give me some room
So join the struggle while you may
The Revolution is just a t-shirt away
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2005 12:46:39 PM »

lol i knew it was from a movie but i couldent put my finger on it
good call
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
MegNKyle
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2005 12:57:54 PM »

I used to swear by John Frieda's hair serum. Well, recently my Wal*Mart stopped carrying John Freida products so I had to buy something else. I bought Lreal's Anti-Frizz cream and it works really well! It feels like a leave-in conditioner,I love it! And it's way cheaper than John Frieda, it's about $2.86 a pop. Also, using the cool-shot on your blow-dryer (if you blow dry your hair) helps to keep the frizz down. For wearing your hair curly, Got2B (?) has some mousse (?) for curling your hair and it works pretty well, it's in a bright orange can & you can't miss it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaipod
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005 08:00:51 PM »

Well... THANKS. I had no idea so many people would reply to my silly post. hehe.  I guess I just think that girl has a problem... I really do have straight hair, just frizzy on top. But, I have to add that I found a solution. I kinda took a lot of things like the adding more conditioner and such and I got some nice John Frieda hair stuff.  Smiley  I got a hair cut and I think it REALLY helped. (Does this make sense?)

thanks again for all the help!

-Kaia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"everything you can imagine is real" -pablo picasso.
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005 08:20:18 PM »

aww, your hair looks cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005 08:24:12 PM »

your hair is so cute! i wanted a cut like that, but couldn't communicate it to the person cutting my hair. :[
but yours is perfect, regardless of frizz (if you hadn't said anything, i wouldn't have known  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
cyclamen
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005 06:53:45 AM »

That girl's crazy.  You're really pretty and your hair looks awesome  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Tandoori Style Chicken
How to Make Butter Chicken
How to Cook the Spinach and Finish the Palak Paneer
How to Cut and Pan Fry Paneer Cheese
How to Cook Paneer Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...