This year I was Ursula the sea witch and the majority of my costume was made from recycled/repurposed items. In total, I spent under $20 for the entire costume, including make-up and wig. I also posted this tutorial in the
, because it can easily be adapted into any type of octopus (not just Ursula) easily and would make a QUICK and easy kids' costume.
The final product (taken inside "Ursula's Grotto" at Disney's California Adventure park):
I used children's watercolors to paint my make-up on. Instead of painting my whole face purple, I just painted my eye sockets, which I think give the same effect. To achieve this effect, add just a drop or two to the watercolors and stir until you have a thick paint, then apply. Goes on quick and easy and comes off just the same! A splash of water and you're done! I also added some false eyelashes that have rhinestones along the eyelid, which I found for $3 at Wal-Mart.
For my hair, I wore a blonde "rocker" wig that had spiky hair. The hairspray held up great until the night got foggy and damp, but the cut of the wig really helped keep it spiky.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
Hi everyone - I did a bigger tutorial write-up of this on my craft blog
, if you're interested in the step-by-step processes a little bit more. But for now, I just wanted to share what I've come up with!
This costume came together relatively fast and was very low cost and could be easily adapted to work for any type of octopus, not just Ursula.
I started with some thrifted clothes:
* purple shirt with long sleeves (mine is actually 3/4 sleeves, but close enough)
* black velour/velveteen dress - this is a plus-sized, full length dress
* purple velour/velveteen dress - this is a child's sized dress
The black dress is the "body" of the octopus, so the first thing that I did was to determine where the 'bottom' of the body would be and to cut the tentacles.
Then I sewed the tentacles (which created tubes). Once these are sewn, you will notice that the opening of your dress (what was formerly the skirt part) will be much smaller, because you've essentially sewn it in 1/2 with the tentacles. This is why I like the velour/velveteen fabric -- it doesn't fray much, so I was able to cut a slit directly between each of the tentacles to allow the body to stretch out more (picture below will help demonstrate).
I used the purple velour/velveteen dress to cut out "suckers" for the tentacles. I attached these with hot glue, which was fast and easy, plus it gave a nice rounded look to the suckers.
Once that was done, I stuffed the tentacles with fiberfill and then attached the 'body' to a purple shirt (because Ursula has purple skin and I didn't want to deal with body paint). My husband is holding up the costume in this picture and holding the body out, so you can see where I cut between the tentacles to give myself room to get in to the costume.
Because I don't want the tentacles to just hang straight down (and also don't want my own legs to show), I wanted a skirt to go beneath the costume that would simulate water under the octopus. I wasn't able to find anything at the thrift stores that would work, so I ended up using remnant fabrics to create a simple skirt (step by step details are on my blog
I also decided to make Ursula's jewelry out of Model Magic clay instead of buying and painting real shells (too fragile for my purposes). I used the white clay and made the pieces and then painted with acrylic craft paints.