A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stewie and Lois Griffin  (Read 10534 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sonicsink
« on: November 02, 2009 03:59:47 PM »

This is my first ever entry so I hope I do it right! Cheesy I'm just going to copy/paste most of my post from the Halloween board to save me the typing and the carpal tunnel...

My son has been giving me a real hard time the last few months (terrible twos) so I decided he needed to dress up as someone determined to destroy his mother...who else but Stewie Griffin! Tongue

Every year I do my best to make our costumes with stuff from the second hand store. I got the yellow turtleneck, red overalls, a flesh coloured bed sheet, and the shoes there.  Rupert the teddy bear was a freebie we got in the mail from some baby food company when my son was born, and the phaser gun is just a small toy squirt gun from the dollar store.

The overalls had a square patch in the front that left a darker spot on the fabric when I removed it, so I decided to make the name tag to cover it up. I printed that up on the computer, glued it on some cardboard, wrapped it in clear sticky paper, and then glued a pin on the back.

I originally had planned to make a 3-D head, I had glued it all together out of pieces of foam, but for some reason, I just couldn't manage to get the material sewn on/around it properly. Also every time I tried to put it on my son's head to test out the fit, he would freak and not want to put it on. After my 2nd 3-D attempt failed, I took my son's cue and tried to come up with something easier to make, and something he would agree to wearing.

What I finally ended up doing was drawing the shape of Stewie's head on to a piece of cardboard and then trace that onto my material. I cut it out, sewed up part of it, slipped the cardboard inside for support and then stuffed it with some batting. I then pinned the head/face onto my son's balaclava style winter hat which I ended up covering with some of the left over flesh colored material.

All items for my Lois costume (except the wig) are also from the second hand store. I also made a Brian dog that is humping my leg Tongue The dog was my sons... It's a stuffed animal that came with a bunch of velcro parts that you could change around to give it it's own look. I took all the parts off and I was just left with a bare dog body. The eyes are made with styrofoam balls and glue gunned on. The tag was one of my cats old rabies tags which I flipped around. I had some clear labels, so I printed one off with "Brian" on it, stick it on and trimmed off the extra. The nose is glue gunned on felt, and the ears are just foam board.

Thanks for checking out my entry! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msfitts13

"I myself am strange and unusual!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 04:22:39 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Oh man do I love this.  Really fun--and funny!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
www.msfitts13.etsy. com

And my Roller Derby team!
www.battlebornderby demons.com
InebriatedKnitting
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009 05:04:44 PM »

That is awesome!  I showed the first pic to my boyfriend and he laughed, then said he said "stewie needs a gun"  So I scrolled to the next picture... "Oh yeah!  And Rupert!"

Great job!  Love Brian too!  You did an awesome job getting ALL of the details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilySnape

"One psychopath per TARDIS, don't you think?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009 05:42:26 PM »

Excellent.  I **LOVE** Brian.  rofl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock
islandmum

Craftster is my Happy Place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009 06:01:15 PM »

Truly awsome!! Just clicked this rocks.
I sooo get the terrible two's thing.
What a great idea and so well put together. Well done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenn_hamelin
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009 06:31:35 PM »

THIS IS AWESOME! My bf wanted to be the family guy but we chose something else cause I thought it would be too hard. You did a great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009 12:46:15 PM »

I love it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009 12:54:19 PM »

That's sooo funny- esp.the Brian part! You did an excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Your Perfect Foundation Match
How to Get Newspaper Nails
Muticolor Shatter Nail Mani Tutorial
How to Apply Foundation the Right Way
How to Get a Pretty Bronze Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...