This is my first ever entry so I hope I do it right!
I'm just going to copy/paste most of my post from the Halloween board to save me the typing and the carpal tunnel...
My son has been giving me a real hard time the last few months (terrible twos) so I decided he needed to dress up as someone determined to destroy his mother...who else but Stewie Griffin!
Every year I do my best to make our costumes with stuff from the second hand store. I got the yellow turtleneck, red overalls, a flesh coloured bed sheet, and the shoes there. Rupert the teddy bear was a freebie we got in the mail from some baby food company when my son was born, and the phaser gun is just a small toy squirt gun from the dollar store.
The overalls had a square patch in the front that left a darker spot on the fabric when I removed it, so I decided to make the name tag to cover it up. I printed that up on the computer, glued it on some cardboard, wrapped it in clear sticky paper, and then glued a pin on the back.
I originally had planned to make a 3-D head, I had glued it all together out of pieces of foam, but for some reason, I just couldn't manage to get the material sewn on/around it properly. Also every time I tried to put it on my son's head to test out the fit, he would freak and not want to put it on. After my 2nd 3-D attempt failed, I took my son's cue and tried to come up with something easier to make, and something he would agree to wearing.
What I finally ended up doing was drawing the shape of Stewie's head on to a piece of cardboard and then trace that onto my material. I cut it out, sewed up part of it, slipped the cardboard inside for support and then stuffed it with some batting. I then pinned the head/face onto my son's balaclava style winter hat which I ended up covering with some of the left over flesh colored material.
All items for my Lois costume (except the wig) are also from the second hand store. I also made a Brian dog that is humping my leg
The dog was my sons... It's a stuffed animal that came with a bunch of velcro parts that you could change around to give it it's own look. I took all the parts off and I was just left with a bare dog body. The eyes are made with styrofoam balls and glue gunned on. The tag was one of my cats old rabies tags which I flipped around. I had some clear labels, so I printed one off with "Brian" on it, stick it on and trimmed off the extra. The nose is glue gunned on felt, and the ears are just foam board.
Thanks for checking out my entry!