A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: never fear! captain hammer is here! (and fem-dr. horrible)  (Read 5569 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2009 01:59:52 PM »

oh man, i can't stand up to some of these costumes! such talented people! i thought i'd post ours anyway since we had so much fun with our costumes, and i did put a lot of work into them!

FH (future-hubby) was captain hammer from dr. horrible's sing-along-blog, and we toyed with the idea of a zombie penny, but decided turning dr. horrible into a woman (me) would be much more fun.

everything was altered, aside from his pants and boots and my nerf gun and tights!

aren't i evil? (mwa-ha-ha!!)

i HAND-PAINTED his shirt and my caduceus on the lab coat. the only thing i used a stencil for was the circle on captain hammer's shirt. it took forever but it was totally worth it!

HEADLESS ACTION SHOT!

please notice the boots! i got them at goodwill and they were scuffed and navy blue - i used a whole can of friggin' white spray pain on these things - i learned the trick is light and many - lots and lots of thin coats over and over again. i did alright, a few drips, the paint cracked in one spot, but hey, it's a costume, and i found knee-high boots that fit for $4!

Goggle details

the goggles were fun. i bought a cheapy pair of chemical goggles, spray painted the inside silver, painted the knobs black... this is all because i didn't want to buy welding goggles.. then sliced off the tops of a couple yoplait yogurt containers and popped soe ice-tea caps in the top and spray painted them glossy black and affixed them to the front with super glue.

I also have a badge around my neck designating me as a member of the Evil League of Evil!

and one more shot of the jacket, because this is probably the piece i did the most alteration on:

i traced the outline of a tunic/dress i found on sale at k-mart and sewed a panel to the left shoulder and down the left side - added velcro on the right side so i could get it on easier and buttons on the top, just like dr horrible. how lucky was i to find  a mandarin-collar dress?!? my belt hid where the panel ended; i figured, hey, i'm fem-dr. horrible, i can have a waist.

the only other details were the house-cleaning gloves i turned inside out, so they were white, and captain hammer-man really did wear combat boots...

so i guess that's all folks!
thanks for looking!

ETA: reference pics! i almost forgot! if you haven'tseen dr. horrible's sing-along-blog yet, you can hulu it or look it up on you-tube. man, i wish we could've gotten some of those sweet black gloves...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009 02:15:53 PM by LadyLeitzen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ManekiSookie
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 03:30:42 PM »

These are so fantastic! Great work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 02:23:29 PM »

You so don't have enough love in this forum for how awesome this is!! Wink I can't believe how much work you put into both the costumes, it's just fantastic.

Great job. Cheesy I just love Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009 09:19:04 PM »

thanks! they were fun...

and i LOVE your avatar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change the Workspace Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Different Color Spaces in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Optimize the Color Setting in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Setup Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Advanced Adobe Photoshop CS3 Series
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...