A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: never fear! captain hammer is here! (and fem-dr. horrible)  (Read 5424 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2009 01:59:52 PM »

oh man, i can't stand up to some of these costumes! such talented people! i thought i'd post ours anyway since we had so much fun with our costumes, and i did put a lot of work into them!

FH (future-hubby) was captain hammer from dr. horrible's sing-along-blog, and we toyed with the idea of a zombie penny, but decided turning dr. horrible into a woman (me) would be much more fun.

everything was altered, aside from his pants and boots and my nerf gun and tights!

aren't i evil? (mwa-ha-ha!!)

i HAND-PAINTED his shirt and my caduceus on the lab coat. the only thing i used a stencil for was the circle on captain hammer's shirt. it took forever but it was totally worth it!

HEADLESS ACTION SHOT!

please notice the boots! i got them at goodwill and they were scuffed and navy blue - i used a whole can of friggin' white spray pain on these things - i learned the trick is light and many - lots and lots of thin coats over and over again. i did alright, a few drips, the paint cracked in one spot, but hey, it's a costume, and i found knee-high boots that fit for $4!

Goggle details

the goggles were fun. i bought a cheapy pair of chemical goggles, spray painted the inside silver, painted the knobs black... this is all because i didn't want to buy welding goggles.. then sliced off the tops of a couple yoplait yogurt containers and popped soe ice-tea caps in the top and spray painted them glossy black and affixed them to the front with super glue.

I also have a badge around my neck designating me as a member of the Evil League of Evil!

and one more shot of the jacket, because this is probably the piece i did the most alteration on:

i traced the outline of a tunic/dress i found on sale at k-mart and sewed a panel to the left shoulder and down the left side - added velcro on the right side so i could get it on easier and buttons on the top, just like dr horrible. how lucky was i to find  a mandarin-collar dress?!? my belt hid where the panel ended; i figured, hey, i'm fem-dr. horrible, i can have a waist.

the only other details were the house-cleaning gloves i turned inside out, so they were white, and captain hammer-man really did wear combat boots...

so i guess that's all folks!
thanks for looking!

ETA: reference pics! i almost forgot! if you haven'tseen dr. horrible's sing-along-blog yet, you can hulu it or look it up on you-tube. man, i wish we could've gotten some of those sweet black gloves...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009 02:15:53 PM by LadyLeitzen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ManekiSookie
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 03:30:42 PM »

These are so fantastic! Great work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 02:23:29 PM »

You so don't have enough love in this forum for how awesome this is!! Wink I can't believe how much work you put into both the costumes, it's just fantastic.

Great job. Cheesy I just love Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009 09:19:04 PM »

thanks! they were fun...

and i LOVE your avatar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Gadgets Perfect For Holiday Gifts
How To Get a Classic Holiday Makeup Look
Backstage with Mally Rancol at the Tracy Reese Show
The Difference Between Sugar and Salt Scrubs
The Anti-Aging Benefits Of Face Massage
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...