A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reverse Mermaid - fish on top - legs on bottom !!!  (Read 4752 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amburrito

who wants a moustache ride?

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2009 10:45:45 AM »

PLEASE FOLLOW LINKS TO PICS, Craftster won't let me put up pics unless I have posted ten or more times....

I came up with this idea about a week after Halloween last year and decided I had to remember it for this year.  I had found a vintage sequin top in the way back of my closet and immediately thought of a mermaid.  Except mermaids are scales on bottom, not on top....then it hit me, a Reverse Mermaid!  Fish on the top half, woman on the bottom half.  I got to work on this costume about a week before this Halloween and I think I pulled it off pretty well.  I was afraid people wouldn't "get" it but just about everyone did!

About the Reverse Mermaid:  

The head is completely hand made.  I used two wicker baskets for the general shape then added cardboard to complete the basic structure.  I used paper mache to "smooth" out the rough shapes.  Her scales are cardboard crescents hot glued (oh, the amount of hot glue that was used!) and the upper part of the fish's head is that rubbery material you put in drawers to keep things from sliding around.  The drawer liner has small holes in it which covered up the eye hole but allowed me to see out, while no one could see in.  I then used 4 different colors of spray paint to make the fish head look shimmery.  I glued gemstones in random spots to tie in the sparkley top.  The fish has google eyes made from apple sauce cups and buttons, she also has eye lashes and glitter lip stick!

The blouse/top is mostly intact as its original form, I added the bottom half which is a bathing suit bottom sewn into the bottom edge of the top.  I hot glued ruffles onto the bottom and used the same ruffles on the fin of the fish head.  I made long sleeves with tulle and ruffled velvet.  All the added fabric to the costume came from two Thrift Store little mermaid costumes that I mercilessly chopped up and re purposed.  

The legs were the easy part, just my own human appendages and some fish net stockings and tall shoes.  When all was said & done I was about 6 feet tall!  The total cost for the costume was under $20.00

It was very well received, I actually took first place in the local bar's costume contest, winning $100!!  I am so proud of my lil' fishy lady.  She will go into the costume archives for sure!  I hope you all had a great Halloween too I am blown away by all of your creative talents!  

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011 09:55:57 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 11:06:49 AM »

That is freakin hilarious! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009 04:04:23 PM »

Very awesome! Reminds me of Noonsa, the Flaming Fish-Man from Slayers Tongue

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/kanzaka/images/thumb/5/56/Suck_Face.jpg/200px-Suck_Face.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch Together a Panoramic Photo
How to Rotate a Video Clip
How to Choose Colors for Powerpoint
How to Use Adobe Photoshop Elements
How to Blur Faces in Videos
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...