A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wild thing, lion king and Cats! oh my  (Read 1937 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , papier_mache  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2009 10:19:07 AM »

Ok...I really outdid myself this year!
My all time favorite...WILD THING!!
This came out better than all my expectations!

I made the shirt out of two colors of velour which I cut into strips, serged together and then made an oversized shirt out of it.  The pants...couldn't find white leggings where I live...crazy...so I bought a pair of adult stretchy pants, cut them down to her size (yes that's a her under there) and painted the scales on.  The feet were a pair of garfield feet we had floating around that I covered with the rest of the pant material and painted. 
But the best part is the HEAD!!!  I made the head shape out of plastic canvas, cut in a pattern of a felt ball and hot glued together.  I glues that onto a fire hat without the brim.  I hot glued the fur on .  The face is an almond shape piece of plastic canvas covered with white tricot (like bathing suit lining...or kind of like pantyhouse material), stuffed and then sewn to make the nose and lines and dry brush painted to color it.  The eyes are the tricot painted yellow...so it can be seen through.  The only thing I am not happy with are the horns..I was trying to make curved horns but gave up cause I got too tired.

Next was the lion king

The head is a plastic canvas sheet rolled up and then a curve was cut in it to insert a balloon and then paper mache.  The nose and mouth are made out of foam clay and then paper mached and then the ears are disks of plastic canvas paper mached.
I found two sweatshirts the right color so she is wearing the top one inside out and then I cut the sleeves off the other and made it into pants...lol
The fabric is from joann fabrics and I did some painting in black to make it look a little more like an african print.

Last one...CATS

I do facepainting so the face was no problem but I modified the costume because I didn't think my daughter would be comfortable in a unitard..lol
Found this really fun fabric at joann...it's not faux fur...it's like a polyester print with fibers all over.
I just glued them on a white sweatshirt in stripes and painted some wiggly lines.

Well...that's my halloween...I did all the costumes in about two weeks...wish I had started sooner...but, then...I always say that!  LOL

On to Christmas crafting.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 10:31:51 AM »

AWESOMENESS!!  Lucky kids - must have been the hit of the neighborhood! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009 01:04:43 PM »

So cool! They all look awesome but the wild thing is my fav.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffin
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009 11:57:10 AM »

WOW!!!  I did a Wild thing too, you are very talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
forwardmotionart
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009 04:43:08 AM »

They are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enter the Fantasy World  of Flameworked art at www.forwardmotionart.com
Animal Fleece Hats at www.animatedapparels.com
rocketmarie
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010 08:10:38 AM »

This is awesome!    Cheesy  I love Cats, and Lion King, and Where the Wild Things Are!!!  These are great costumes.  When I was younger, a week before Halloween I decided I wanted to be a Gumbie cat, and my mom said "I don't have enough time to make that!"
Of course as a junior high crafty kid I didn't see the big deal in sewing fringe on a unitard...  Ha ha! 
Lion King is my favorite childhood movie and I never really saw it as something easy to craft!  Thank you!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuffxtara
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010 08:57:39 PM »

these are incredible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megchug
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010 03:23:59 PM »

That Lion King costume is absolutely amazing!  I had never thought of making a costume from the musical!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Masks - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Create a Reflection - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Highlight Someone - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Let It Slide Part 1/2 - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...