A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Oogie Boogie  (Read 3384 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , oogie_boogie , costume , costume_idea , the_nightmare_before_christmas , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 01, 2009 10:23:00 PM »

Hello all, this is my entry. A green Oogie Boogie I made for my 12 year old daughter. She remembers him as the green Oogie and wanted him green not brown. Also, keep in mind she is the size of an adult that why it is so large. We originally had this idea before we saw the post from last year of Oogie, but I have to give credit to ashleyjustine for definite inspiration. This was a farewell to trick or treating to my daughter since this will be her last year because since she is the size of an adult, she is tired of getting strange looks from people like she is too old. I know, silly isnt it.

On with the show.....I bought green burlap online from a music store I think. This burlap was for sound proofing music rooms. Bought 7 yards of it for $7.50 a yard. Pricey! I used 2 old flat sheets to line the inside and stuffed it with a whole box of fiberfill. Arms are also filled slightly and have quilt batting.

I sewed this costume on an actual sewing machine. YES I did! Its a beast of an old machine too, I got free! (Thank you god) Turning it right side out was a struggle after wards since it is so fat. I then took nylon string for the stitches and stitched him up. Added some dry paint brushing for extra detail.

The headpiece was something I have never done.....but willing to try. I made a sort of type lampshade out of poster board and wire. Then covered w/ batting and starting cutting and piecing what I thought looked like Oogies shape of his head with a mouth. The mouth is where she can see out of. I then stapled the burlap on and hot glued in some areas along with cutting. I also added wire for the point of his head so it would be bendable. Added the stitches and some paint. Oh yeah I had to fill the inside with some cushion so it would hug her head and not flop around. Then I added a wide velcro strap that went under her chin to keep it on.

Made some foot covers which were really easy w/ elastic, velcro and a hot glue gun.

Took me 3 weeks to make this costume but sooooooooooo worth it. She LOVED it and so did everybody else. It was hilarious when she walked. After she left all the houses the people were cracking up at oogies butt.

My favorite tools for this project: The beast of a sewing machine, it was a Brother. Duct tape, staple gun, hot glue gun and Ailenes glue. Tip: Hot glue mends burlap quite well

Anyway, take a look! Its my best yet!!!! C&C welcome

Oogie and her 2 cousins, Brandon and Grant.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009 01:34:32 AM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE TNBC!  You did a fantastic job!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009 03:09:47 AM »

This is so wonderful! Just finished watching Nightmare in HD! I hope you win- good luck! Grin

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009 06:38:53 AM »

That's AWESOME!!! great idea and it looks amazing!
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009 07:17:10 AM »

Excellent work Smiley I remember him as green too Cheesy

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009 07:42:07 PM »

Thanks everybody for the lovely comments!
"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009 10:06:56 PM »

it looks great, amazing job, looks just like the real Oogie came to life, quite impressive!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Go Platinum
Allure Teaches White Women How to Get an Afro, Receives Major Backlash
12 Best Hairstyles for Any Wedding
Holiday Hair Inspiration
Watch Boyfriends Give Their Girlfriends Blowouts
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...