A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,090
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Take Chances, Make Mistakes, Get Messy!" Miss Frizzle! [img heavy]  (Read 27115 times)
Tags for this thread: miss_frizzle , halloween , halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chaylebelle
« on: November 01, 2009 01:20:26 PM »

In my awkward pubescent years, I had a classmate who would make fun of my hair and call me Miss Frizzle because I hadn't yet figured out my hair would curl and it made this big poofy mass around my head.  (Having big thick glasses didn't help me much either!)  This Halloween, I decided to pay homage to myself at age 12 and to one of my very favorite elementary tv shows.

The dress was a recon from Goodwill I bought for $3 with sleeves that were supposed to be 3/4, a skirt that nearly reached my ankles, and shoulder pads comparable to ones a football player would wear:

I took out the pads, cut off the sleeves (the leftover fabric from when I took out the shoulder pads was just enough to make short sleeves) and hemmed the dress.  Then I painted it with moons, planets, a rocket ship, an astronaut, etc.
The shoe stars and earrings were made with wood cutouts painted yellow and glittered.  For the former I glued bobby pins to the back and pinned them on my shoes for the latter I used a screwdriver to make a hole and put in a fish hook earring,

Front:

Back:

(The hem isn't really that wonky, I took the pic from a weird angle.)

I also brought Liz along!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009 01:23:50 PM by chaylebelle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009 01:29:45 PM »

LOVE!  This is adorable!!  This would be so sweet for an elementary school teacher to wear.  LOVED these books and the tv show.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
lemadrid
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009 01:37:32 PM »

Thats so awesome!!! I loved this show when I was a kid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TracyLee22
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009 01:40:41 PM »

I LOVE It!! I am a teacher and would rock this to school, the kids would love it! Save it, it may come in handy in the future~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Best episode of 'Cops' ever made:
officer- "ma'am why do you have scissors in your pocket?"
drunk lady- "for arts, such as.... crafts?"
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009 02:14:07 PM »

That looks totally cute.  But what show was it?  I don't remember that character?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
raincity
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009 02:27:09 PM »

What a perfect costume - very creative re-use of the dress. Nicely done - and lots of detail. How long did it take you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faded_dress
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009 02:57:32 PM »

How creative! I like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps welcomed! I have 15 rose balls up for grabs/trade.
chaylebelle
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009 03:11:01 PM »

That looks totally cute.  But what show was it?  I don't remember that character?
The show is called The Magic School Bus & it's about a teacher with a magic bus that takes her students on fantastic field trips like into outer space, inside the human body, etc.  We used to watch it all the time as elementary school kids in the 90's.  I had to jog a few people's memories when I went out!

What a perfect costume - very creative re-use of the dress. Nicely done - and lots of detail. How long did it take you?
Thanks!  It really wasn't incredibly time consuming... I would've appliqued the decorations but I'm right in the middle of nursing exams at the moment, so that definitely didn't happen.  All I really had to do was hem the skirt, arm holes, and neck line.  The paint took the longest time because I had to let it dry overnight, and the star accessories took probably 10 minutes max.  I'd say work time would be maybe 3 hours total though. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009 05:23:37 PM »

AHA!  I was thinking Magic School Bus, but I couldn't be sure because I only ever saw the commercials! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Christinadavinci
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009 05:39:03 PM »

OMG, I love "The Magic School Bus"!!  Your costume is just too cute, too cool, and so original!  Way to go!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Kendall Jenner Inspired Look
How to Dress Like Blair Waldorf
DIY Pretty Bow Sweater
Vintage Christmas Lookbook
Christmas Jumper Haul
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...