A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A surfing mermaid...  (Read 5097 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , craft_challenge_44_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 01, 2009 10:52:36 AM »

Hello All Smiley

Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween. We had tons of fun in our house and wanted to share the Mermaid with you. We did two costumes but can only enter one. Hubby made the second so I am going to add in the one I made.

Surfing on a wave...

Showin' off her tail... Smiley Pay no attention to the bright pink octopus beside her. Wink

Her front with her long mermaid hair and bling. I had a ton of fun making the bling. Smiley

OK so on to the what I did. For the bling it was pretty easy just lots of copper wire with beads and shells added to it. Her wing was a cheap o from walmart. I made lots of sea hair pins and then added in the yarn that looked like seaweed.

The bra was made by using a real bra and sewing on the matching fabric. Then I hot glued the big shells on over the cups. Then hand sewed all the other shells and sea weed on it.

The skirt was made from a vintage velvet curtian. I made a basic long skirt but added pinch gathers randomly through out. I made a full petticoat with lots of tulle to look like sea foam when she walked. Also added the tulle to the waist to cover the two belts it took to hold her tail on.

Now for the tail....first of all thank you to everyone that made and posted a duct tape body form. Smiley You guys were for sure a huge help when it came to making the tail. First I duct taped my daughter. Smiley

Oh she is happy here because we are only half done... Smiley

Now she is being tickled teased and turtured hee hee and WE are having fun. Smiley
Using cast cutting shears we cut it off, sealed up the seam and ended up with this...

and then the fun continued...

I then used spray adhesive to cover it in fabric. I built a fan for the tail out of purse stabilizer and duct tape. The smaller fins were made with purse stabilizer and velvet and then quilted them for detail.

The tail was stuffed with paper to help hold its shape. Then we sliced a few slits in the side and looped strong leather belts through it. We then used the belts to hang the tail from her waist and used the tulle to cover the belts.

It was a huge hit and we had a ton of fun. I think she enjoyed her freedom of moment much better than what she would have if we would have just had her walking in a mermaid tail.

Hope everyone got a smile or giggle out of it !! Smiley

Much Peace
Tero
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009 11:26:38 AM »

Unreal! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazylittlekels
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009 12:09:46 PM »

Wow! Such a creative idea Cheesy and very well put together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009 01:29:37 PM »

Tero, I love it! What a great idea.... Your daughter is gorgeous and looks sooo much like you!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
spicecarrie
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009 04:20:15 PM »

That is one amazing costume!! I'm jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009 06:54:26 PM »

*does the Wayne's World We're Not Worthy Bow*

Tero kicks crafting butt yet again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
flickchick0617
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009 09:24:40 AM »

What a unique and detailed ostume for a young girl! She looks thrilled to be wearing it!! This is the most ingenious idea for a tail that I've ever seen. From the side, it really looks like she's swimming over the waves. My only questio is, once the legs form was stuff and whatnot, was it heavy/ hard for her to walk around with it trailing behind her?

The makeup, seaweed wig, and copious amounts of shells make this costume soooo cool and realistic; she really looks like she came from the shimmering depths of the sea! Awesome job! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009 12:02:28 PM »

fantastic idea! im lovin the bling and makeup
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorizathm
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009 03:54:13 PM »

Great work. That's gotta be the best mermaid costume I've ever seen.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." -Pablo Picasso
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009 04:43:43 PM »

What a unique and detailed ostume for a young girl! She looks thrilled to be wearing it!! This is the most ingenious idea for a tail that I've ever seen. From the side, it really looks like she's swimming over the waves. My only questio is, once the legs form was stuff and whatnot, was it heavy/ hard for her to walk around with it trailing behind her?

The makeup, seaweed wig, and copious amounts of shells make this costume soooo cool and realistic; she really looks like she came from the shimmering depths of the sea! Awesome job! Shocked

It really wasn't that heavy. I would say maybe ten pounds. SO she probably would not have been able to go for hours and hours but it did drag the ground a bit and we held it in place with two belts, one around her waist and one around her hips so the weight was pretty spread out. Also you should know that this is a ten year old that stands 5'4" and wears a size 9 women's shoe.

The tail itself was only two layers of duct tape and the cheap stuff from the dollar store at that so it didn't add much weight. I am telling you I can see many Halloween costumes being made with Duct tape in the future. Smiley

Thank you to everyone for all the kind comments. It is very inspiring and means a lot coming from such talented folks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vietnamese Soft Shell Crab
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
How to Make Miso Glazed Chicken Wings
How to Make Burmese Melon Salad
Asian Bites: Traditional Malaysian Chicken Satay Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...