A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
822 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted Flowerpots and Flower Cookies  (Read 5411 times)
Tags for this thread: flower_pot , mothers_day , cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chocoloka
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005 02:09:13 PM »

ok, attempting photo upload...(thanks to all those who helped me out in the picture-hosting forum!)

picture of flower pot painting in progress. i'm using outdoor paint so the pot can be filled with a flower and reused outside. the bee idea is from someone in craftster, but i'm not sure who! sorry! (let me know if it's you, and i'll give you credit...)

as you can see, it took me 3-4 coats of paint before the terra cotta was completely covered. this picture is after coat 1 or 2.

my kitty watching as his mom paints

the painted flower pot, waiting to be filled (pix to come later). i signed and dated it so my mom could keep it as a keepsake forever and ever...

another finished view

thanks also to everyone in this link - i got so many fantastic ideas! when i finish my edible flowers, i'll post the pix and let you know which idea(s) i used!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011 08:14:13 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mythyme
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005 02:14:37 PM »

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005 04:06:32 PM »

I know what my mum's getting this year! All I need to decide now is if it'll be full of cookie flowers or flower pens!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005 11:15:40 PM »

Aww.  Your pot turned out so cute.  I LOVE the personalized tray bit. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
chocoloka
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005 06:19:18 AM »

thanks so much! i'm glad i got that part done early b/c now i'm sick!  Cry

some time next week i'll be making the flowers...i'll post my pic when it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chindogu

"you don't need to see my identification."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005 10:48:26 PM »

the paint job looks great.  so bright and cheerful!  did you use a paint marker to draw the details on?

don't forget to post pics when you're all done.  i'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"why should we buy postage stamps?!  we can make our own!"
chocoloka
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005 05:15:31 AM »

chindogu,

i just painted the whole thing with outdoor paint - i bought three colors, yellow, black, and white. (the pink heart is not outdoor paint...i'm hoping that it's small enough to remain weather-proof) i just used a smaller paintbrush for making the details and painted the bees freehand (which is why one has 3 stripes and all the others have 2!). it was more exciting that way! Wink the bees were just generic ovals and lines...

i'll be making the "flowers" in the next few days and will post soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bee_U_Tiffle
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005 05:54:18 AM »

Question, though...does anyone know if those lollipop sticks can go in the oven? I'm guessing they'll either catch fire or just turn brown... Not sure how else to get cookies on sticks....Any ideas?Huh? Huh

These are really easy to make and no, the sticks do not burn at all. Just use your favourite cookie recipe and carefully slide the sticks in horizontally to the cut out shape before you bake.  It is easier than you might think and they are very firm on the stick so will look awesome in your cool bumble bee pot!

I made star shaped cookie 'wands' for my daughters recent birthday and they were a huge hit with all the girls.  Yesterday I made some teddy shapes on sticks to take to my nephews christening party.  I dipped those ones in melted chocolate and then decorated to look like teddy bears

I used plain flat wooden lolly sticks.  I do have some pretty coloured ones but decided not to use them - was not sure if they were OK for food use or if they were craft-only kind of sticks.  Would not want to poison anyone with icky dyes!

Bee
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005 05:58:01 AM by Bee_U_Tiffle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
andrenna

sleep a little more if you want to

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2005 11:41:50 PM »

the cake in a flower pot idea is darling! i found a good link for anyone who might be interested...
http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/f-tips/flowerpotcookery.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocoloka
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2005 09:27:36 PM »

So here's the finished deal: (see my previous posts for detailed pix of the flower pot)

And the aerial view...

I learned quite a bit during this project, so I thought I'd share some tips with my friendly crafting community. Smiley

1. I purchased Wilton brand 8" lollipop sticks from Michael's craft store. Shortly thereafter, I learned they were cheaper at Walmart.

2. The lollipop sticks (at least this brand) do NOT burn in the oven. I did line the cookie sheet with foil because the recipe I used called for it, and I made sure not to overlap the sticks.

3. I made a few mistakes with my cookie recipe. I really wanted to make chocolate chip cookies, despite what my better instinct was telling me about how they would NOT make good flower-shaped cookies. I used salted butter (I learned somewhere that one should never bake with salted butter, but it was all I had and I refused to buy more butter just for the cookies). I think my "flower" cookies might have looked more like flowers had I used margarine or Crisco, but I'm not sure about that...

4. I did use cute flower-shaped cookie cutters, but you really can't tell. The cookies look like large, non-circular blobs. Wink

5. The little baggies I had bought to cover the cookies were too small, but they did fit over the candies I made, so I kept them and used them. For the cookies, I cut squares of plastic wrap and gathered each at the stick. I tied shiny green ribbons around each stick to hold on the plastic (ribbon on sale at Michael's for $1.00! I used it all up!).

6. The recipe I used made really yummy cookies, and just the right amount for my cookie bouquet. In fact, I had a handful of cookies left over, but I'm sure it would have been a TON more if I had used a regular choc. chip cookie recipe. I used the Cookies on a Stick recipe from this site: http://www.thatsmyhome.com.

7. For the chocolates, I used Wilton brand light cocoa and pink white chocolate melting wafers. I used the double-boiler method of melting them, and it went fairly quickly.

8. My big learning experience with the candy making was that the lollipop sticks were either too long, or there's just something I don't know about the candy business. Wink My sticks kept leaning and falling out, so I propped some of them up, but it took several tries to get them at just the right height/angle to keep them in straight while they were hardening in the fridge.

9. I purchased a small block of Dry Foam from Michael's for 79 cents (the cheapest and smallest I could find) and used a sharp knife to cut in a downward motion around the base of the flower pot (not the saucer, which is wider). The foam left lint-like dust everywhere, so I decided to be safe and cover it with plastic wrap as well. I did that because I intended to fill the pot with some M&Ms, but...

10. All said and done, I really didn't need to fill the flower pot with any other goodies...there was barely any space left in there! I just stuffed as many cookie and candy-pops as I could into the flower pot.

I envisioned much more colorful goodies, but I couldn't get myself to color the chocolate chip cookies... Wink I think the finished product will be well-received anyway. Thanks again for all the help and feedback!

Expenses list (much from memory - excuse the blanks):

* 4" rose flower pot and 4" saucer - ?
* green ribbon - $1.00
* flower cookie cutters x 2 - ?
* candy melts, 2 colors - $2.49 ea.
* lollipop bags - $1.96
* lollipop sticks - ?
* outdoor paint in three colors - ?
* dry foam - 0.79
* baking supplies (had most of the ingredients, so not sure) - ?

I'm sure the whole thing cost less than $30 (I'm guestimating and seriously rounding up), but it could have been even cheaper if I had bought regular paint instead of outdoor paint, purchased the lollipop sticks at the cheaper price at Walmart, not purchased the cookie cutters (which didn't work out as planned), and not purchased the candy molds, candy, and candy bags.

Lesson learned: don't be overzealous about project supplies until you KNOW what you need, and shop around for the best price for the supplies that are needed. Wink The good news is that I'm certain I'll use the remaining supplies in future projects.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011 08:16:37 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Duct Tape Christmas Tree Ornament
How to Make a Duct Tape Holiday Wallet
How to Make a Duct Tape Holiday Ornament
How to Crochet a Circle
How to Criss Cross Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...