A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Runza recipe (reduced calorie/fat)  (Read 3768 times)
Tags for this thread: side_dish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

safari_kate
« on: October 31, 2009 07:57:29 PM »

I've been experimenting lately with a recipe for runza sandwiches, which are pretty much only known in Nebraska and the surrounding region.  Nebraska has a chain of fast food restaurants called Runza, and I grew up eating runza sandwiches.  I moved to Texas a few years ago, and have been trying to satisfy my runza cravings ever since.

Runzas have roots in Germany and Russia, and are essentially ground beef and cabbage in a pastry crust, the ultimate German comfort food.  They are also called bierocks, and are related to the Polish pierogi (which are boiled, and contain potatoes).  In my mind, they also resemble the Cornish pasty.  The basic recipe is fairly versatile, and I've added various spices to mine with wonderful results.

In an attempt to reduce the calories in my runzas, I've replaced some of the ground beef in the original recipe with brown rice.  I'm also using Pillsbury reduced-calorie crescent roll dough, which makes a nice and flaky crust for minimal calories (and effort!).  Here is my adaptation of the runza recipe:

1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium head cabbage, shredded or chopped
2 cups beef broth (fat free), or as needed
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or chili powder, optional
1 tsp ground cumin powder, optional
3 cans Pillsbury reduced calorie crescent rolls
6 slices Kraft Free Singles American Cheese, quartered

Brown ground beef in 12" skillet, drain and set aside. In same pan, sprayed with Pam, saute onion and garlic on medium heat until just translucent. Add hamburger, 1c beef broth, and cabbage. Cook on medium for about 45 minutes, until cabbage is soft and translucent, adding more beef broth as needed. Toward end of cooking, add seasonings and rice, mix well. Roll out crescent roll dough, smoothing seams and cutting into squares (8 per can), and stretch thin (about 4-5" square). Place a quarter of a cheese slice in the middle of each square. Fill each square with cabbage mixture, pinching edges closed. Place seam-side down on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.  Makes 24 small runzas.

To freeze, wrap individual runzas in aluminum foil and freeze in freezer bag.  To reheat frozen runzas, bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or remove foil and microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high.

My last batch, in which I added crushed red pepper, chili powder, and cumin, turned out great, albeit pretty spicy.  I usually eat two runzas for a meal, since they're fairly small.  I hope everyone gets a chance to try this wonderful food at least once in their lives!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009 08:12:46 PM »

Mmmm. Me want runza!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
roccstarr75
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009 09:52:34 PM »

HA!  I've made these before, but I thought I made 'em up!  I just kind of started mixing stuff together, but they almost identical to this!  I also made some Breakfast-type ones with crumbled breakfast sausages, scrambled eggs (cooked before assembling), and shredded cheese.  I customized them with green peppers, mushrooms, whatever people like in the omlettes, and they were a huge hit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009 03:12:17 AM »

Oh my gosh those look heavenly!!  I'm going to see about possibly making them this coming week. oh yum!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009 12:51:01 PM »

I'm trying it tonight. Looks soooo good! Thanks for the recipe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittleMissMoonshine

"I am a werecow MOOO-OOO"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009 06:00:19 PM »

Mmmm. As a Californian in Omaha I have to say YUM!! Im not a big runza fan but my Omaha born and raised boytoy loves them! I might actually have to make this often for him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think Ive lerked too long... 4 years is a long time right?

Walt Disney World for the 6th time in less then 3 weeks!!!

http://needleinfoot.blogspot.com
safari_kate
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009 08:29:19 PM »

I'm glad you all like my runzas!  Smiley  Let me know how they turn out if anyone tries them, and if you come up with any awesome additions and spices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinklamb
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009 12:36:58 PM »

YUM!!! I  I ALWAYS get the runza w/cheese!!  My mom has a recipe for Runza Casserole I will have to get from her.  I LOVE it! I will have to try out your recipe sometime! I live in SW Iowa and I have a runza right down from where I live, the only one in the area except if you go into Omaha!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear a Leather Jacket
That Thong ... Done You Wrong
Get Model Street Style for Under $100
Essential Fall Trends: Military, Moto, Vests, Pea Coats
Cara Delevingne Models, Sings, Acts... And Plays Quarterback?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...