A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I hate darts.  (Read 2058 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009 05:06:06 AM »

Guuurl I feel your pain, though my catch up isn't darts (this time) I have totally chomped up a nearly finished dress with my serger knife that rendered it complete "scrap" material. I'm so bummed I havent been back in my sewing room for nearly 3 weeks now.

I don't even know what to suggest since you have already shortened the darn thing by 2 inches already, could it just be maybe the ironing?

She did not teach me, but I was surrounded by some impressive old sergers and overlocks as well as an array of gorgeous textiles.  I can't stop analyzing stitches on people's clothing and I love touching fabric.  I must look like a total pervert.

... um yeah... I'm a total fabric perv too.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagough

Costume Shoporama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009 02:55:14 PM »

I saw your post and thought, "I read the perfect tutorial for this somewhere.... Google-time!"

http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/sew-natural-looking-bust-darts

There's a great tutorial on bust darts and burdastyle.com that should help you out a lot for future projects. Happy sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cjbear
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009 07:41:59 AM »

jagough - that is an excellent tutorial and a great idea!  I am still too mad at my scrub top and I've started a different scrub pattern hoping to boost my confidence in my sewing skills before re-re-ripping out my seams. 

Accept the things I cannot change (in this case, a crummy pattern writer), the courage to change the things I can (hemlines, seams, dart angles)....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myrLegacy
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009 07:13:39 PM »

One of my sewing teachers taught me this to the point where it's the only way I make darts.

Start from the outside seam and work towards the point at a regular stitch length.  (I usually mark the dart with chalk so I know what I should be following.)  About 1/2" before you get to the point, make sure you're riding right next to the fold already.  Shorten your stitch length to about 1-1.5 (depending on the machine).  Sew the last 1/2" right next to the fold.  Sew off the point for a little bit, maybe an extra 2-5 stitches, which will lock in your threads enough so that you don't have to tie off.  (Personally, I get a little paranoid and still sometimes tie off my darts)

Using a ham or some kind of curved form (ie, towel rolled up to kind of mimic a boob), steam iron the dart before you open it up.  This "melds" the stitches in.  Then open up your dart the way you're supposed to iron it (for a side seam bust dart, excess dart fabric should point down).  Then steam iron it again on the wrong side and then the right side.  When you steam it on the right side, make sure your dart isn't forming a pucker at the point.

If this doesn't solve your problem, it might be something else.  How much intake is your dart eating?  It may be too much and your dart might be too big.  If you need that big dart, maybe you could just cut the dart excess to make it like a seam that you can fly open in the inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009 09:31:04 PM »

Thank you for the technique tips, myrLegacy.  They always help lots.
And actually this is provident, I was looking for this thread yesterday because suddenly the other night I thought of something in connection with the OP in this thread (seriously, I have no idea why these things come to my mind at five am while I could still be sleeping).
So, the question is:  Did you cut both front pieces in the same direction on the fabric?
It may look obvious to some people, but if I am short of fabric myself I try to find the most economical way of positioning the pattern pieces, which then involves examining the fabric very carefully to check that it is ok to put something upside down or sideways.  Depending on the fabric, that only may make a difference, sometimes enormous.  You know some woven fabric stretches a little both ways, some doesn't and some stretches one way only, and that is important to bear in mind when cutting the pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insta-Makeover: Preppy Hair Gets a Too-Cool Makeover
Insta-Makeover: Curly-Hair Fauxhawk
Insta-Makeover: The Sleekest Short Hair Style Ever
Insta-Makeover: How to Style the Fishtail Halo Braid
Transition Your Beach Hair to a Night Look
Latest Blog Articles
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...