A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mounting in an embroidery hoop?  (Read 4716 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zen_child

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2009 08:57:04 AM »

Just a short question that I can't seem to find a solid answer on: How do you mount a finished piece of stitching in an embroidery hoop, ready to hang on a wall (for example, like this & this where it's all clean around the edges, and covered at the back as well)?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 12:41:32 PM by zen_child » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, no, art is not for juggling.
BeatnikChick
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 05:18:48 PM »

Great question... I have wondered the same myself... No one ever posts photos of the reverse side of the completed ones like these... I hope someone does here!  Again... great question...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009 07:46:21 AM »

This is a good question. I hope someone answers it. I would think you would just pull it really tight and then glue felt to the back but I'm not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spiffysara27
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009 10:19:33 PM »

I have kept some of my embroidery in the hoop to hang on the wall, and I don't really do anything to it.  If you cut the fabric as close as you can to the hoop its not even visible.  I don't worry much about the back because it faces the wall.  If you want the back to look neat, I would suggest maybe putting a thin piece of white (or any color I guess) cloth in with the embroidered one and trimming them both.  I love those examples you posted!  Did you stitch those?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009 02:45:36 PM »

With some trial and error, I found a pretty great way to do this! The short story is: you cut the fabric kind of short, do a running stitch around the edge and cinch it tight... then sew a piece of felt on the back to cover it.

I have tried just cutting it close, but I always worry that it's going to come out. Then I tried glue all the way around but I didn't like the way it looked. I also tried just the cinching without covering it up but that seemed sloppy. Finally, my sister gave me something I had made in an embroidery hoop for my grandma when I was 10. We had hot glued felt onto the back to cover it up! Glue seemed messy, though, and while I was thinking about all this, crafty_dame posted a piece she made that was sort of a fabric sculpture in an embroidery hoop on her blog where she used the exact method of finishing that I was thinking of! I would post the link here, but it's minorly NSFW.  Undecided

I tried it on a piece I made for a swap earlier this month and it worked like a charm. I will try and post some pics in completed projects so you can see. I think I remembered to take a pic of the back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009 02:49:22 PM »

Go ahead and post the link-it's okay, just make sure we know it's NSFW Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009 03:24:27 PM »

Alrighty! Here's the link to crafty_dame's blog post where she shows the finishing method I'm talking about:

THIS LINK IS NSFW: http://craftydame.blogspot.com/2009/11/needlework-vulva-no-really.html

And in case you want to see just the back, this photo is safe, but other stuff in her photostream may not be: http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftydame/4051907968/sizes/l/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

D.Bluemoon
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010 08:57:06 PM »

Gosh, I wish I had read this about two weeks ago... I did a project for my dad and painted the embroidery hoop to frame it in but since I wasn't sure how to set it in there very nicely I just glued the edges to the back inside of the hoop... That did NOT work well since a bit of the glue soaked into the fabric on the front, although not terrible it was not as nice as it could've been. But at least now I know for next time! Thanks guys Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fawntress
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010 06:22:10 PM »

I came across this post in my search to the answer to this question too!

http://www.purlbee.com/swatch-portraits/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artist, Mama, party animal on hiatus. I've recently gotten into embroidery and am pretty super excited about it!

Blog . http://autumn-fawn.tumblr.com/

Etsy . http://www.etsy.com/shop/fawntress
JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010 11:18:30 PM »

There are already some great ways to do this already posted but I thought I'd share mine. I make and sell a lot of embroideries right in hoops for hanging, and so far glueing the excess down in an organized manner works well. If you trim the fabric really close to the hoop, it could possibly fray or if its a wooden, the hoop could even warp over time in the wrong conditions, both causing the canvas to loosen. I just trim to about a quarter of an inch, and glue it down to the inside of the inner hoop in pleats. Here is a pic of the first backing I did this way. I finished it by glueing on my tag. It was an experiment and the fabric was a thick canvas so it's pretty sloppy. Most proper embroidery fabrics won't have so much heft to stick up as much.

I don't have any pictures of my recent ones, they look a lot cleaner than that one but you get the idea  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clamp-Free Curling Iron - Sultra Bombshell Product Review
Hair Tips For Men
Shiny Hair and Anti Aging Treatment
Summer Hair Styling Tips for Curly Hair
How to Blow Dry Your Hair for Volume
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...