A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shipping for dummies?  (Read 654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luna1375
« on: October 30, 2009 07:41:17 AM »

Still doing my prep before opening my shop. I have never shipped anything, ever, in my life. So confused. I'm imagining the steps I'll need to take if I ever do make a sale.

I'm in the U.S.  So, ok, I guess I buy boxes for my stuff?  Where is a good place to get them?  Oh, I'd need bubble wrap too I suppose, to keep stuff from breaking.  So, ok, I wrap it, tape it up, print an address label I guess?  Take it . . . to the post office? UPS store? And they will sell me postage I guess?

Apparently there are all sorts of ways to ship something, and I have no idea how much any of them will cost and which one is the right one to use.

How do you determine your shipping cost ahead of time if you don't know how much the post office will charge until you get there?

Do y'all buy your shipping materials in bulk or wait until you've made a sale before getting the boxes and stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009 09:22:41 AM »

Go to www.usps.com & learn about Flat Rate Shipping. You can get boxes sent to your house for FREE & as long as you stay under the weight limit for certain boxes, you pay a set rate. It's pretty reasonable & I believe the only way to go for shipping stuff. Not everything you send will fit in the Flat Rate Boxes, so you will need to buy some big envelopes from store. You will also need a scale (cheap on EBay) & some packing tape & bubble wrap & stuff.

If you haven't already go to http://www.etsy.com/forums_main.php & read up. There are a ton of info regarding shipping & other important good to know stuff regarding opening & maintaining an Etsy shop. Read & educate yourself, you can also post questions there. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009 09:40:29 AM »

A lot of this stuff has been talked about before on the business boards. Definitely do some searching around and you will find some helpful info. Smiley

(Also, I'm going to move this to the main business board as it is not specifically etsy related.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How To Create A Fake Short Bob
Reverse Hair Damage with Your Diet
How To Manage "2nd Day" Hair
How to Style Half Up Prom Hair
Fashion Phenomenon: The Colourists’ Bar
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...