A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,438
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Possible Tattoo: opinions?  (Read 15710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 29, 2009 11:43:11 PM »

I'm currently in university studying classical voice, and I've been trying to think of a tattoo that has something to do with music for a long time. I didn't want it to be just a treble clef, because that seems so common. The idea of the peacock also symbolizes pride and confidence in oneself. That is something that I struggle with a lot, so I figure this will help me decide to be proud and confident when I'm singing! It also reminds me of self expression, which is exactly what singing is for me. Not only do I feel amazing when I do it, it is the purest form of me that is being expressed when I sing. 
I need to work out where I would like the tattoo go, so maybe you all can help me with that! I would like to be able to see it with out looking in a mirror.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 11:51:36 PM »

This is really lovely.  I got my first tattoo on the front/outside of me thigh (basically where the palm of my hand is when my arms are at my sides) and I love it.  I see it every day but it's still a bit private.  If you don't have an artist yet, I recommend working with them to come to a final design, they think of things others might not! 
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009 12:04:00 AM »

that's a really beautiful design, from my experience I would say there's a little too much going on in one area, but like meepmopmoop said, if you take that to an artist they will work with you to refine it and make it into a long lasting tattoo and still retain your original idea. good luck!
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009 01:52:16 AM »

It's cool, think it's a bit hard to see the clef though, it might need a more pronounced outline that goes together more evenly with the .. top, eye, whatnot. Otherwise you might end up with a feather and a swirl.. Cheesy As the others have said, it's a bit too busy in itself (it might become sludge after a year or so on your skin), but I think it would make a great illustratory piece to show a tattooer what you want, and then let the artist make it work.

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009 02:01:06 AM »

Oooh, pretty. Are you thinking of using those colors?

I would suggest making the treble clef a little thicker, perhaps, or maybe finding a way to distinguish it more with a varying color. Definitely agree that you should talk to your tattoo artist beforehand, as they can come up with things that work very well. (Unless you specifically want something of your own creation -- in which case, be sure to get an artist that can reproduce it faithfully.)

As for placement, that is always a tricky question. If you want somewhere you can see it easily but still cover it up (for business-like environments, eg), somewhere on the leg/ankle would be a good choice, or perhaps hip. (though that hurts like a mother, I'm told!) There are other things to consider as well, such as how your body changes -- don't get a tattoo on your stomach -- and meaning can be considered as well. I have a quill/inkwell for writing on my wrist--perhaps not the best choice for the more serious work environments, but intimately symbolic to me because it's over the veins on my writing hand, in a kind of 'lifeblood' thing.

I think it's great that you're putting thought and meaning into your tattoo. Smiley So many people don't these days.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009 03:46:24 AM »

A peacock feather also represents vanity.  Just sayin.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009 04:30:23 AM »

It's a really beautiful design, but any good artist will tell you that all those thin lines will eventually result in a giant blob. Thin lines also tend to fade faster so you'll have to have yearly touch ups probably.  Undecided

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009 05:28:47 AM »

It's a really beautiful design, but any good artist will tell you that all those thin lines will eventually result in a giant blob. Thin lines also tend to fade faster so you'll have to have yearly touch ups probably.  Undecided

That's not necessarily true. Especially not about the touch-ups!

I suppose this'll have to bring up the quality artist subject: you need to find someone good. My sister has a place she goes to where she gets her tats for $30 - $50, and she has I think four now (and one cover-up: the name of the ex :p). However, my one tattoo was $150. This is because I went to a quality place (Prix, in West Hollywood), where they used everything sterile and had an autoclave on-site, everything clean and shiny -- the place was more like a gallery than a tattoo parlor.

This is a peacock feather piece done by the same artist who did my tattoo. And trust me, he wouldn't put something on someone if it would blob after a year or two.

Tattooing is an art form - you have to be a quality artist to do it right, and well, and in a way that doesn't screw up your canvas - skin. I have friends who have had to get touch-ups because they went to places that weren't high-quality. (note: if they let you put plastic wrap over your tattoo right after it's done so you can look at it - don't! this is a real wound, here, and you need to treat it like one. gauze it up and let it heal.)

What it comes down to is the ratio of what you put in and what you take out, and what you want to risk. If you put in good money for your tattoo, and get it in a good spot, down the road it'll probably look very similar to its first appearance. If you don't, then you'll have a very pretty piece of artwork on your body, but it may or may not look the same in ten years.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009 07:59:42 AM »

I completely agree with everything windswept said.
It's a really beautiful design, kathrynista- I think it would make a lovely tattoo. I strongly agree that you should do some parlor- and artist-shopping before you get it done and work with the artist to get your design just perfect. For my personal tastes, it's a little busy, but it's going on your body so you should let your taste be the deciding factor.
I think centered and just below your breasts would be an awesome place to put it, for symbolism purposes (that's where your breath, and thus your voice, comes from) and it would also be private.

In the end, only kindness matters.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009 09:16:31 AM »

Y'all are so insightful! I've never gotten a tattoo before, so that was all very helpful information. I realize that it's a complicated design, and I don't think I'll make the tattoo artist replicate it exactly. It just shows the idea I had and the colors I want, so we can use it as a jumping off point.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Avatar Post Team - Episode 3 - Process and Flow
How to Play a Fermatta on Violin
How to Play at the Tip of the Bow
How to Play the Piano with Velocity
How to Play Kings Cup
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...