A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Domestic Violence Awareness Quilt  (Read 2241 times)
Tags for this thread: empowerment , domestic_violence_awareness  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DresdenDarling
« on: October 29, 2009 10:38:31 PM »

I'm usually a lurker, but I feel like this is worthy of posting. =) Here's a bit of background information on this quilt....
I work with runaway and homeless teenagers who are typically going through a rough time. For art therapy, I did a project pertaining to domestic violence. I had each youth design a quilt square that said something about domestic violence or represented their feelings about domestic violence. Many of the squares are very powerful, and I'm really proud of their work. =) I really don't feel that I can take credit for this project, as it is their work, but I do want to share it with others.

...As a side note, the kids' confidentiality is of utmost importance, so any teen who put their last name on a square and it is readable from the pictures, was not included in the individual images. Just FYI. =)
This first one is the full quilt. It's 39" across and 58" down

These are closeups of chunks of the quilt... Sorry all of these pics are so crappy, they were all taken on my phone!
Bottom 1/3:

Middle 1/3:

Top 1/3 (sorry my feet ended up in all the pics!): ^.^

Here are a few pics of some of the individual blocks before i sewed them all together....

It says "Second thoughts are often better than first impressions"

The block on the left says "Love conquers all. Stop the madness. Violence is not the answer!!" The block on the right (with the handprint) says "These are hands that heal"

...I know I probably shouldn't have favorites, but I'm partial to the one on the left. It's a scene of homeless people living on the streets and the caption says "Lord, we in the streets tryin to find comfort"  and the big words say NO MORE PAIN.  ...This one is just so REAL.
This is a close up of the same one. There is also a dead body on the ground.
The left one says "Trust is the key". The bottom left one has the Gandhi quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Sorry for sooo many pictures. I'm going to try to take better pics tomorrow when I hang it at our agency. My camera is currently broken. Thanks so much for looking. Comments and/or criticisms are welcome!!! (BTW, I wasn't going for excellent workmanship on this quilt... It was more about the message.)  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 10:47:19 PM »

I think its a great idea to help those kids express themselves and is also a very powerful message. My heart goes out to those kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009 01:51:53 PM »

Wow!  This is so powerful.  What a beautiful way to help ease the pain a little bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009 05:29:59 AM »

It is so beautiful and powerful. Reading the quilt and just seeing it made me cry. Big hugs to your teens they are perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
DresdenDarling
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009 12:14:42 PM »

thank you all for the sweet comments. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justforme
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009 05:15:04 PM »

That is a beautiful and very touching quilt. It is so very sad that a quilt like that is needed, but if it helps the kids and the adults who see it we are all the better for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. -Indian saying.

True regret is not what you've done but what you have not done.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jerry Saltz Shows His Favorite Paintings
Andy Warhol: The Last Decade Exhibit Tour
Paints On Ceiling
Chains
An Olympic Athlete Who Is Also an Artist
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...