A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ski / Sports Headband with Earflaps and TUTORIAL  (Read 4181 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Callani

Fall for pretty strangers & the promises they hold

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2009 08:36:46 AM »

Back Story (feel free to skip!) : My sister's just started uni about a month ago and has joined the uni Lacrosse team which is great obviously. Except for one thing - she has to wear her hair up. This is kinda the equivalent of walking around in underwear for my sister because she absolutely hates her ears. She mentioned that some of her team had ski headbands with ear-flaps but when we looked in 2Seasons they cost about 30 each which is just ridiculous. Sooo being a lovely sister (and needing distracting from my ever increasing pile of reading) I decided I'd make her one myself.

So here we have it : One fleece-lined, crocheted sports headband WITH ear-flaps in team colours.

Front-view (ignore my disgusting uni room please)

Ear-flap view

This was actually really easy to make but the instructions are a bit complicated so I'll give you two ways of doing it.
1. The complicated way that I did it that made loads of sense to my twisted brain
2. The simple way that I realised I should've done when I started writing down the pattern!

Also, in the method I've included colour changes just in case you want to recreate the same pattern as mine. If not feel free to ignore this part.

I used Hook Size 3.5 mm which is apparently Size E in American terminology.

Method Numero Uno - The Complicated One

So this method involves crocheting the ear-flaps on whilst making the headband. If this sounds crazy to you please skip straight on down to method number 2.

Row 1 : Chain 80 in Colour A. Join with slipstitch. Change to Colour B.
Row 2: Chain 2, DC in every stitch. Join and Change to Colour A
Rows 3 & 4: Chain 2, DC in every stitch, Join and Change to Colour B
Row 5 (& ear pieces): This is where it gets complicated!
Row 5: Chain 2, DC in the next 22 stitches (this is 10 stitches + the base 12 stitches for the ear pieces)

THE FIRST EAR-FLAP
(the numbers at the end of the rows are to show how many stitches you should have)

Row 6: Chain 2 and turn, DC in the next 11 stitches (12)
Row 7: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 7 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches (10)
Row 8: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 5 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches ( 8 )
Row 9: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 3 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches (6)
Then slip stitch back down to Row 5.

THE HEADBAND
Row 5 (continued) DC in the next 48 stitches (this is 36 stitches round the front of the headband + the base 12 stitches for the ear pieces)

THE OTHER EAR-FLAP
Row 6: Chain 2 and turn, DC in the next 11 stitches (12)
Row 7: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 7 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches (10)
Row 8: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 5 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches ( 8 )
Row 9: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 3 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches (6)

Then slip stitch back down to Row 5.

BACK TO THE HEADBAND
DC in the last 10 stitches and join with a slip stitch. Change to Colour A.

Final Row: SC around the band to finish with a nice edge.

As I said very complicated and quite unnecessary. To give you a bit of a better idea of what I'm talking about with the ear-flaps I drew this diagram.

See the arrows? They show which way you're meant to be working, kinda, and those pretty little ( bumps are the slip stitches going back down to the headband. Please note that they stop at the TOP of row 5 and that's where you start DCing again.
Also you can kinda use this as a reference for method two. Oh and the 8 things are chain stitches!

Ok enough blathering over something crazy...

Method 2

The Headband

Row 1 : Chain 80 in Colour A. Join with slipstitch. Change to Colour B.
Row 2: Chain 2, DC in every stitch. Join and Change to Colour A
Rows 3 & 4: Chain 2, DC in every stitch, Join and Change to Colour B
Row 5 : Chain 2, DC in every stitch. Join and Change to Colour A

AND STOP RIGHT THERE BECAUSE NOW WE MAKE THE EAR-FLAPS SEPARATELY

Sooo to make the all important ear-flaps. (the numbers show how many stitches you have)

The Ear-Flaps

Row 1: Chain 12. (12)
Row 2: Chain 2 and turn. DC in each stitch (12 - so that's the chain 2 plus 11 DCs. It makes sense in my head)
Row 3: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 7 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches (10)
Row 4: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 5 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches ( 8 )
Row 5: Chain 2 and turn. Decrease DC on the next 2 stitches, DC in next 3 stitches, Decrease DC on the last 2 stitches (6)

You may find it useful to look at the diagram above to understand what the heck I mean.
Make two of these (unless you have an extra ear, then make three...) and sew them on in the right place. *This isn't half way - it's WAY closer towards the back of the headband*

When your ear-flaps are firmly stitched in place start the final row.

Remember how you'd just changed to Colour A and left it as is? Right that's where we're starting
Row 6: Single crochet in every stitch around, including around the ear-flaps. It makes the edge prettier.

Then it's simply a case of cutting your fleece to size and sewing it in.
There's no special trick that I discovered, I just placed it in, snipped off bits that stuck out, running stitched most of it (my Grandmother would kill me) and whipstitched the ears just incase.

So Ta-Da et voila! One headband ready to keep my sister's ears nice and warm and firmly out of sight for the rest of her sport playing days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm the hero of this story I don't need to be saved
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 08:49:03 AM »

lol i make my earflaps on my hats similar to yours - and apparently it is too complicated for my friends, but I like that the back is a little longer than the front when I do it that way...especially since I make a lot of hats for babies and children...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
See How Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Do Paris
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Sofia Vergara To Wed in Vera Wang
Paul Smith - London- Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews and Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...