A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Amazingly cheap Halloween Party decoration Tons of Pictures!  (Read 1840 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_party  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: October 28, 2009 09:37:55 PM »

Our first ever Halloween party was this last Saturday. We really had a super tight decoration budget (but an impressive amount of decorations on hand collected over the years) but wanted to show off our new house. So with alot of creative re purposing, and many many many trips to every dollar store witihin 30 miles my projects finally took shape-best of all  I still have $2 from a $25 budget.

The blackout curtains along the windows were cheap $1 trashbags unrolled trimmed on the bottom to make a nice flat doubled plastic rectangles layered to cover the entire window. 2 $1 shrouds added a curtain like detail when tacked up to top of window sill. The thick black drapes to the sides and swag on the top were 3 $1 plastic tablecoverings gathered and thumbtacked around window to frame it. The tablecloth was a queen fitted sheet (mine) with 2 more shroud clothes for texture. A black upholstered chair from my livingroom props up a skeleton we got on clearance 5 years ago. The orange was also a $1 table cover cut in half and draped to add some color.

This shows the side view of the table-- a kitchen chair with some empty boxes draped with more trashbags made a nice platform  for a tombstone. The buffet table had a spiderweb table runner from a few years ago and with the wrought iron candlestick from my kitchen and $1 worth of artistically dripped candles looked great but still too cheerful under the fruit painting. I really did not want to remove my everyday things when I could just make them spookier so I dug out one of last years projects- the death angels. The angels were originally a paper mache Christmas decoration my mom had had around for years. I had campaigned to throw them out several times and just when she agreed to pitch them I decided to remake them. Painting skulls over their angelic little faces and  their wings black then draping the shrouds over them (inspired by mourning statues in cemeteries). They fit perfectly over the picture with the shrouds hanging down made the whole area work well together.

this overlooked the living room with a reaper made from pieces of several old Halloween costumes and the backdrop cut off a long roll of scene setter material from a party years ago.

This was another old costume fleshed out with padding, hangers, and a patio umbrella stand. There was a strobe light  on her but she was scary without it too (she was 6 1/2 feet tall!)

This bookcase held the witchy specimen bottles and potion bottle and had strategic lighting to highlight different items in the darkened room. All the bottle contents were made with things on hand this one is my favorite

Feel free to ask any questions if you are curious as to how something was done-- I love questions!
I had several other cool projects in this room that I might add to another shorter post. Look for my Psycho bathroom in the
home section.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009 09:51:48 PM by varifiresis - Reason: Picture problems » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluesea777
live2craft

addicted to Art Journaling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 12:14:55 PM »

you have a really good imagination. good job of reuse/recycling. i love halloween but never did like spending alot of money decorating for it. i love the skeletons and the bookshelf area looks interesting! someday i would love to learn to make specimen jars. i have just one question, what would we do without the dollar stores? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life without crafting would be like living in the dark.
varifiresis
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009 12:26:22 PM »

I feel the same way about the Dollar store that I do about the internet... I didn't ALWAYS have them and am not sure how I managed life before but I am sure it was empty and meaningless, but most of all boring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimmyLynne82
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I enjoy being a dame.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009 01:29:58 PM »

Amazing job! Proof again that you don't have to have an all-out budget to throw an all-out party!! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog

I <3 Personal Swaps!
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009 09:19:18 AM »

Wowzers! That's just great!  I also collect Halloween decorations year after year, utilizing sales, close-outs, thrift stores and the dollar store and this you've done an amazing job with all of it!  I'd never had thought of using garbage bags instead of plastic table covers, but I bet you got so much more coverage for you dollar.

I'd love to see more photos of your specimen jars (I'm starting to get a few of those put together and would love more ideas).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
This Trick Will Take the Redness Out of Your Pimple
4 Makeup Tips to Change Your Routine Forever
A Natural Solution For Backache
How to Wear Fresh Spring Makeup
The Risks of Wearing Eyelash Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...