A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: typify a vegie  (Read 3211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: October 28, 2009 07:29:42 PM »

i used to be a vegetarian... then I got pregnant with my 6yo and thought meat was so tasty - though really, other than chicken it doesn't smell all that great. 
Lately I have been thinking of going back again.  I think chicken cheese eggs and ground pork are the things that hold me back from it.  SO I guess I am fairly fine with being a partial.
ANd then that got me thinking more, If I ever thought there was a meal that typified meat-isms, that would be roast chickn turkey beef with all the trimmings: mashed tatoes and gravy and vegies.
SO then if there was a meal that typified vegetarianism (not necessarily veganism) ... what would it be?  THe only thing I could think of was: salad, or pasta... generic things that aren't all that hot.
Is that all there is really? 
I kind of dislike the whole processed aspect of tofu and cheese slices.
If there was one vegie meal you would reccommend to a disillusioned-by-too-hard-to-chew-meat-and-sht .... what would it be???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009 11:16:33 PM »

i love a good plate of black bean tacos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
kirbay831
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009 12:49:14 AM »

Roast vegetable lasagna! Way more flavor than you'd ever get in a ground meat version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
diminor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009 12:31:47 PM »

I do not believe that vegan/vegetarian diets have a certain style. Their diets are diverse and if done in a healthy way should include a mix of several cultural dishes, because that is how everyone should eat.
Alot of people associate asian dishes with veganism, but this is simply because the cultural diet in asia heavily includes non animal based complete protein packed meals. Most european cuisine uses butter, cream, and meat as standards. In taking european recipes vegans must switch out half the ingredients for things like *egg substitute* and the meals are simply not the same, because like with a turkey dinner, the meat is the focus. Many more common asian dishes center around a vegetable, so substitution, or even deletion, does not effect the meal.

I think though that often being vegan opens you up to needing to look harder for good food. I feel that they get the advantage of an inherent openness to food from everywhere why eat thai every day when you can try some indian, oh! and what about some greek?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009 07:10:16 PM »

I would never say a veg meal is pasta or a salad....that is so unenlightened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
twylag
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009 04:29:54 AM »

missmuffcake: so i'm unenlightened, thanks for sharing the recipe!  I just don't think making personal slurs against my character like that is really what I was looking for.
Kirbay831: thanks for the idea.  I love lasagna (except for the whole cottage cheese, eggplant, beschamel sauce thing)
morglanc: what kind of "wraps" do you stuff your black bean mix in?  store-bought wheat, homemade? 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009 04:36:35 AM by twylag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009 01:43:00 PM »

i usually do them in corn tortillas, with cilantro, and salsa!
  i have to say, that i do eat a lot of salad and pasta dishes. they just arent what people typically think of with salad and pasta. it seems like with veg. food, you really need to make it interesting. so why people might think that a vegetarian eats lettuce with vinegar dressing, its more like (for me anyway) baby spinach, romain hearts, sprouts, tomatoes, brocolli and mushrooms with a ranch dressing.  and instead meatless spaghetti and alfredo, it do garlic, sundried tomatoes, black olives, and mushrooms with olive oil.   so i wouldnt say that its wrong for people to associate vegetarians/vegans with those foods. salad and pasta are tasty, versatile, and healthy.
  i also eat a lot of rice and bean dishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
twylag
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009 05:57:08 PM »

salad and pasta are tasty, versatile, and healthy.
I actually love pastas and salads.  I usually have a salad every day for lunch only it isn't what most people would call a salad since lettuce is one of the smallest part and usually isn't lettuce (though now that my garden is done, I am out of swiss chard and spinach and greens  to do that with).  even my 6yo asks (*asks!!!*) to have salad for supper or couscous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009 03:13:49 PM »

i have to say, that i do eat a lot of salad and pasta dishes. they just arent what people typically think of with salad and pasta. it seems like with veg. food, you really need to make it interesting.

Usually when people hear you are veg they say 'all you eat is salad'...I really don't like salad, I cannot digest raw veggies. I do like a grilled veggie salad with grilled artichokes &  eggplant. As for pasta I grew up eat a lot of pasta so I just learned to make a meat free sauce...for the boyfriend I use Tofurky sausages (I like them enough - a bit to much for me) and I use Parma! (vegan topping) or nutritional yeast sprinkled about.

I don't want people to assume vegan just eat salad and originally I was put off by that, I hear it all the time. I think once I became vegan I tried so many new things like edamame and goji berries! I eat a lot of soup...I like soup! It just comforts me to the core!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Caesia

Are you a good witch, a bad witch, or a sandwich?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009 05:05:38 PM »

I eat TONS of pasta. It's definately one of my favorite foods. Sweet potatoes are very delicous, and can be prepared many ways. One thing I make when I'm craving something umami is vegetarian stuffing. Saute some onion and garlic until brown, and add toast cubes. Pour a little vegtable stock on (enough to just get the toast soggy) and cook until brown. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything happenes.... :]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Social Documentary Film Production Tips
How to Tell a More Impactful Emotional Story
How Clinton Global Initiative Empowers Young Filmmakers
How to Manage Non-Profit Client Expectations
How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...