A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Present: Refrigerator Ransom Poetry Magnets (images insides)  (Read 8333 times)
Tags for this thread: magnet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009 09:55:39 PM »

This is one of the best ideas I've seen yet. I remember those sets, and had some once.
 I actually have a large magnet sheet, and it's designed to be printed on.
The white does not peel. It has to be sanded, but you can cut it any way you want. If you don't rough it, the paper will lift. But, that's OK~ I'm thinking some pictures mixed in with words, and even just letters would be good.
   Now, To decide who to give them to....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyFox
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010 10:51:35 AM »

The words have a bit of shine to them, I'm wondering if you're using any type of sealant on them? I'm wondering if clear nail polish or something like that would work to give them some extra protection...or if you think they're fairly sturdy as is?

I didn't use any sealant on this set, most of the words came from magazines or children's books so they already had a sort of glossy look. I have used some mod podge (decoupage medium) in the past over the tops to add a slight protective coat and a bit of shine but any sort of sealant including finger nail polish should work... just do a test one first as some sealants might cause the word to wrinkle depending on the paper and how thick or treated it is.

Sorry it took me so long to respond have been busy with holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist http://wists.com/Sly-Fox

Like my crafts? I Would LOVE to do a personal swap! PM me if you're interested!

My Craft Blog: http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/

Swap Stalk Me:
http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/crafty-preferencesgifty-ideas-for-swaps-etc/
SlyFox
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010 11:31:55 AM »

What a great idea. We are doing a craft session with my Cadettes and this would be perfect. If you are making these as a gift, how would you present them? In a bag?
Also, did you work from a list of words that you thought you should have? Thanks!

I presented my set to the BIL in a metal cylinder container that had once held fancy tea (I soaked it with vinegar to get the label off so it was a very sturdy and pretty plain cylinder). For my own brother I bought a strip of magnetic paper that you can stick to a surface with adhesive and put it in one of those wood and glass hinged shadow boxes to hang on the wall.

You could also go to a thrift store and pick up a cookie/baking sheet and either paint or decoupage it to cover the metal in something pretty but then have a nice big surface to have them all out on. The other advantage you could do with this version would be to find a cookie sheet with a hole in the top (normally used for hanging in your kitchen) which they could actually hang anywhere in the house if you prettied it up. This can be a good option if the refrigerator is inconvenient for them to store their set on normally (ie lots of magnets already on their displaying kids artwork for instance).

I have also done tins (like altoid tins or any sort of cookie tin) painted or decoupaged with paper in the past to present them. A lunch box is a great idea too!

I am putting together a set for my friend. So far I have 329 words. The thing I am finding hardest is all the wee words like 'the, and, at, it,' etc, someone who has made a set, would you PLEASE be able to send me all of those words you used? I don't want to miss any out!!! 

My list of words changes for every set, it depends on the person I am making them for and what I find in magazines or books I have laying around. I have a few recommendations though, try to include a handful of word-add-ons, like find a word in a magazine that ends in "ly" and make it into its own magnet because then the ly can be added to the end of a lot of other words to make more combinations (ie you have a magnet for sweet and a magnet for ly, you can now make sweet into sweetly as well when you put the two magnets together). Other helpful word add ons, many "S", "es" "y" "ed" "ment" " 's ", " 'll ", "n't"  or any other types like that you can think of (for making plurals or words into other words or past tenses and possessives and contractions. For instance 'll could be used with you or I magnets to make you'll or I'll, n't can be used with magnets can and do to make can't and don't etc). I also try to add the person or their significant other's name if they have an uncommon name I try to include just the letters in it so they can be added together to make the name. When I get a lot of words done I will separate them out into their categories to make sure I have enough of each kind (ie verbs, nouns, adjectives etc) and if I notice I am lacking a lot I will concentrate on finding a few more of the specific category I am missing (ie if I have a ton of verbs but hardly any nouns I will scour for nouns and make a handful more of them until I am satisfied). There is no set of exact rules I can give you on the ratio but separating them out to see them in their categories will help you see how versatile the set is and whether you need to add more or stop adding a specific category and concentrate on a different one. Also try making a few sentences or poems, haikus or notes with the set yourself if you have a really hard time you'll know what sorts of words would make it easier and be able to search for them. I also have a jar of just cut out words from having done a couple of sets and not used all the words or if I see a cool word in a magazine (like I really like the word or the font) I'll cut it out and put it in the jar for later use.

Amazing idea! I may have to make these for our next place. I think we'd probably use them to make inappropriate sentences... or notes for each other.

I have made some racey sets too, my BIL just got married at the end of Nov. so I included a handful of racey words in his set as his poems and haikus and notes will likely mostly be to his new bride. It was easy to find libido, sex and orgasm as well as a few others, just by cutting them out of a cosmo or a glamour which contains a lot of those sorts of words... I have also in the past included a few cuss words by cutting out letters or groups of letters to make them. Sometimes "inappropriate" words or sentences are therapeutic to make like when you've had a really bad day at work and need to vent it out, I am careful in the sets I make that might be kid accessible though, but you rarely find cuss words in magazines anyway (at least the ones I have) so it isn't usually an issue.

Wow, this is one of those projects I just love stumbling across!  I like yours WAY better than the store bought ones!
Thank you so much! I really loved them too and they were inspired by the fact when I was younger I wanted a set but couldn't justify the cost for them (I was on a budget and wanted enough to have a large range of words which would have meant buying 3 sets at $20+ bucks a piece at borders). Plus I liked the look of mine better and could decide each and every word I wanted to include.

This is so fantastic! I am a lover of interesting, quirky and unusual words, so a personalized magnetic poetry set would be a dream for me!!
I feel I should make a set for my friend I will be living with next year...just so I can use them!!

Sure hope I can find some of this stuff in NZ!!!!!!

New Zealand? You should be able to, if not in the craft store you can order the tape online in an earlier post in this thread I put up the links to the website where you can order it online if you can't find it at a craft store. It was only like $4 for a roll of the tape which makes a really large set, not sure what the shipping would be though so it might be more expensive if they are a US company. If you can't find it at a craft store or it is expensive to ship you might try a hardware store as the tape was orginally not designed for arts and crafts so much as being able to make things like a message board out of cork and stick it to a magnetic surface and other uses like that.

Again sorry for getting back to the thread so late but I was busy with the Holidays and didn't know anyone had posted any questions... I should figure out how to get craftster to email me when I get a new message in one of my posts.

Thanks to everyone else who commented I am really flattered and happy you all liked it and hope that you all made great sets for yourselfs or the people you love.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist http://wists.com/Sly-Fox

Like my crafts? I Would LOVE to do a personal swap! PM me if you're interested!

My Craft Blog: http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/

Swap Stalk Me:
http://slyfoxcrafts.wordpress.com/crafty-preferencesgifty-ideas-for-swaps-etc/
Bella Mozzarella
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010 02:45:11 PM »

This looks like sooo much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedheadchic

handmade, homebaked, gifts, joy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010 02:09:39 PM »

These are pure awesome! I am off to hunt for some of that tape over here in the UK.

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueskiesblog.blogs pot.com
wists.com/charlottetp

January Birthday Swap - Sent
Keep Me Warm Swap - Sent
International Snack Swap - Completed
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cover Your Pimples Like a Supermodel
How to Fix Dry Brittle Nails
Megan Fox Admits to Loving Drugstore Beauty Products
Women Over 60 Model Marc Jacobs and NARS Beauty Ads
Are Gel Nails Safe?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...