A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Professional-looking embroidery pattern PDF from a drawing  (Read 990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 28, 2009 02:56:12 PM »

Muddlepud asked for a good professional way to make an embroidery pattern, and so I wrote this up as an example of one way to do it using vector drawing software. This first tutorial is for Adobe Illustrator, which is an expensive program but industry standard for doing vector graphics. I will also download Inkscape and try to figure out how to do the same thing there so I can post those instructions, as well.

The real reason you want a vector graphic (as opposed to a raster graphic, which you can make in Photoshop or Gimp) is so that you can resize it any which way you want without having to worry about loss of quality.

You will need:
White paper
A nice, black pen
Scanner
Adobe Illustrator

Draw your pattern on white paper using a good black pen that makes a solid line, like a fine tip sharpie, or better yet a nice Micron or other good drawing pen. I have a PITT artist pen in fine point (F) that I really like. The cleaner your original, the easier the transition will be in the graphics program. Don't use a ballpoint pen because there's a lot of variation in that ink that will show up in your scan and mess up the trace.

Scan the graphic in at around 300 dpi, color or black and white, either is fine. JPG if possible, but a bitmap would be okay, also.

Open the graphic in Illustrator and select it with the selection tool (the filled in/black arrow). You'll know it's selected when you see a blue box around it with little "handles" at the corners.

In the menu, go to Object -> Live Trace... -> Make and Expand.

Voila! Your line drawing has now been transformed into vectors!

If you want to get a bit more complicated, or it's not coming out quite like you want it, try Object -> Live Trace... -> Tracing Options and muck around with the settings there. Check the "Preview" box and you will be able to see how this changes the trace as you change the settings around.

If you want to resize it, grab one of the blue corner handles, hold down the shift key on your keyboard and resize. Holding down shift will keep proportions the same... if you don't hold down shift, you will squish your drawing one way or the other. I also turn the rulers & guides on in the program so I can measure and see what size to make a graphic if I'm looking for a particular size to fit on a piece of fabric.

If you were thinking about selling a PDF on Etsy, under File -> Document Size, you can change the Artboard size to letter and then add in your Etsy shop name using the Text tool, maybe copy and paste the pattern and put it on the page in varying sizes for convenience. Then just go to File -> Save as... and under the file type dropdown, choose PDF.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009 03:00:02 PM by millik » THIS ROCKS   Logged

millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009 02:56:35 PM »

Reserved for the Inkscape instructions when I get around to them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009 04:20:49 PM »

Thanks for putting this out there! Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Matthews on His New Book Tip and the Gipper
Visiting Quiet Dell with Jayne Anne Phillips
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Top 10 Romeo and Juliet Trivia
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...