A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can anyone help with a pattern?  (Read 1124 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelwings219
« on: October 28, 2009 02:05:14 PM »

I really want to make a pair of cabled Bella mittens...the problem is ive found tons of patterns that call for double points or magic loop...i have tried  and have failed ....i was wondering if anyone knew of a pattern on straight needles....thx in advance...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaforpresident
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009 01:28:46 PM »

I couldn't find a pattern for knitting on straight needles, nor could I adapt any pattern that is available. My best advice is to try once more to learn to with a magic loop. There are lots of great websites with good tutorials. There was a knitting wiki that made lots of sense to me when I read it so long ago.

I am sorry I could not be much help, but this might be a good opportunity to learn a new technique. Just stick with it and if you are having trouble with the way one site explains it, try another site, or ask here on craftster.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassy-pants
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009 10:18:37 AM »

You could try to convert the pattern from the round to straight... Just remember that there will be a seam, and with something like armwarmers, it could be uncomfortable.

Basic idea:
Cast on the same number of stitches as you would to work in the round, plus two (the two are to account for the seam)
Work the pattern, with the beginning of your right-side row being the equivalent of the beginning of the round.
Bind off, seam.

If these have a thumb hole or something similar, I would just skip over it in the pattern, and mark it with a stitch marker for later on when you're seaming. You won't be able to knit a thumb, but you can just not seam that part up, leaving the thumb hole, and continue seaming above that.

Hope that helps a little Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009 01:36:39 AM »

Are you avoiding dpn's because you're nervous about using them?  I'd like to comfort you and encourage you to give them a try.  I used to be absolutely terrified of of double pointed needles, but once you've done a couple of rows it becomes pretty straight forward.  Just concentrate on the two needles you're working with at any given time.  Also, watch the ends of the needles and keep your stitches centered.  I know someone who sticks a pencil eraser on the ends so the stitches slip off, but if you're careful you don't need to do that.

Good luck  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009 05:45:26 AM »

Sometimes it can be easier to knit a couple of rows back and forth before joining and starting to knit in the round. There is a tiny seam to sew, but it's easier to get a hang of dpns when there's a bit more knitting to hold on to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelwings219
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009 08:34:43 PM »

ok i found a pattern on the internet...and on here...subliminalrabbit:bella's mittens...but i want to use dbl point needles...im not sure how many stitches to put on 3 needles???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009 09:41:53 PM »

If the pattern is knit in the round, use the same number of sts and just divide them up. You don't have to have the same number of sts on each needle, you can do 15, 23, 18 if you want, for example.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
sdanorth
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009 06:38:19 AM »

I did that same pattern, totally on DPNs. It was my first in the round project, but I wanted them so bad I forced myself! Things I know from the experience: Keep the 12 stitches for the cable all on the same needle, always. You will, as you knit through the pattern, have to rearrange the number of stitches that are on each needle - but don't move the row-start point or separate the 12 cable stitches. Practice the M1s if you've never done them before! I didn't do them right and my mitts have lovely rows of holes along the thumb. It doesn't really bother me though! What bothers me is I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong. Watch for the cable change toward the end - you'll knit the front stitches for the cable and PURL the behind ones - it might be the last cable twist, but it is different. And I did do the suggestion of knitting a couple rows flat before joining, that makes it SO much easier to make sure you're not twisted. The pattern, I think, has NO mistakes, at least none that I'm skilled enough to spot, so it's a really good project for your first in-the-round. Go for it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewelry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
angelwings219
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009 08:09:49 AM »

so i get the part about the 12 sts on one needle...but i only have 4 needles so how do i put number of sts on each needle?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009 02:40:07 PM »

You can put any number of sts on each of the needles, they don't have to be divided exactly. Just make sure the 12 st cable sts are all on one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Portraits
How to Paint a Cloud
How to Paint a Flower Using Watercolors
How to Paint Trees
How to Paint Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...