A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,780
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Poppet - image heavy!!!  (Read 2768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2009 01:38:18 PM »

After stalking poppets ever since the beginning I finally began the journey towards addiction and got the pattern from ghilie (THANKS!).  That was Sept. 29.  

see the poppet-along here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=205341.0

I was crafting 1-2 days a week while going to school and work part time, and managing our little household with my one year old and 3 year old. I'd never made a doll before but always wanted to.

The only thing I bought was buttons for jointing and some beautiful clear acrylic faceted beads that have a opaque center that looked great for eyes.  The fabric is a pink receiving blanket that we never used.  The stuffing was from a pillow that had frayed to death and was spilling out.  The thread and floss were lying around the house.  The yarn for her dress and hair was left over from a baby blanket project that never got off the ground.  I crocheted a cap and hooked the hair on, leaving the ends as uncut loops.

I liked how she looked without sculpting, so no sculpted toes or fingers.  Sewing on the eyes also sculpted her face a little, giving more shape to her cheeks.  I also lined her ears with pipecleaner like her tail, so I could position them.

Things I learned:

Turning the tail is HARD! Next time I'll sew the curve of the tip, turn, iron and then ladder stitch it.

Hair:  I needed to add another row just above the "hairline" because I could see the cap after I combed her bangs down.  I can see how everyone ends up with pretty thick hair.  I like the cap method because the hair is evenly distributed.

Jointing: I put the arms a bit low so it's a bit hard to dress her and she looks weird when her arms are straight out.  Also, the daughters immediately took a liking to her, and are a bit rough.  With handling, the jointing is loosening up, so next time I'll pull it a tad bit tighter than I want to accommodate that.

Stuffing:  with play her neck is compacting and getting weak, so next time stuff more!

So here she is, being dry-fitted:

and jointed.  My husband thinks she looks like a hairless cat at this point:

and with hair:

close up, back of hair:

with eyes on:

and dressed!:

Her hair is beautiful down, but it was getting tangled while playing with my daughter so we pulled it back.  She hasn't told us her name yet, so we're taking suggestions.  Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009 12:31:50 AM by puamelia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009 02:25:28 PM »

She looks so sweet and pretty. I like fairy names so something like glitter, sparkle, copper, snow, that sort of thing would be cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009 03:12:50 PM »

Looks great! I think she's soo cute and I can't wait till I finally make my own poppet. I have the pattern but halloween and Christmas gifts to make I don't have the time. I'm also terrified she won''t turn out as amazing as yours.. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009 03:58:28 PM »

stunning first popet!!!!   very well done.  I've yet to atempt one as the idea of so much hand stiching is daunting to me... but I'm amazed at how wonderful your's turned out.  She looks like she may be a Talulah.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009 11:06:20 PM »

Thanks everyone! Eliea, I was thinking something delicate also... I'm sure she'll tell us when she's ready. 
llianora, I felt the same way, and actually the hardest part is getting started.  Took me almost 2 years to feel ready.  Just be sure your fabric isn't too stretchy so you stay true to the pattern.
Belladune, I would make five more right now if I had a sewing machine!  It was long but it was so zen to stitch by hand... I kinda got sucked into it. Also I felt like I had more control with the small turns doing it by hand.  I'll ask her if she likes Talulah.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009 06:35:42 AM »

That is AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME, and so nice. Eliea suggested using a popsicle stick in the body through the neck to help. I've done that a couple of times. I learned stuffing fuller makes it a lot more difficult to joint so I may go back to some of the softies.

You should be so proud. I love her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
puamelia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009 01:22:40 PM »

Aw, shucks, thanks Lovesclutter! you are so kind.  And that's a great idea to put in a "spine" for the next one... I hate to open her up - besides, I can't get her away from my daughter haha!

I'm already thinking about the next one, maybe something quite the opposite, more exotic feeling...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mummynat
I love Bert

Wife Mum Nutter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009 02:39:06 AM »

She is beautiful. great job.
I have used a lolly pop stick through the neck with my two. Worked well so far.
I also stuff with all my life, fill it full, molding to the body shape i want as i go. Then when i do the joints my hubby squeezes the legs/arms to the body while i pull the ties really tight.

Can't wait to see more of your lovely poppets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

puamelia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009 02:42:01 PM »

Thank you mummynat.  I guess I'll start collecting sticks for my necks.  Thanks for the method tip on stuffing and jointing - I think that should help a lot.  I may take a break for a while since I caught a cold. And the sewing machine is still broken... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thania
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009 08:14:47 PM »

fabulous!!!! I too have been laggin on makin one.... its a little intimidating.. funny cause i was reading this and thinkin... omg it sounds like me lol

I really want to make a red head one for a friend whos 6 hours away as a x mas gift so i should probably get started huh?!

I was wonderong how would u use the stick in the neck? will it just kinda float in there held my the stuffing, i would think somehow eventually itll inch itsway out of place or not to too comfy to cuddle with if it moves to the edges... hope u get what im tryin to ask... I think i might start getting supplies together tomorrow!

: )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FABULOSITY!!!!!

my wists
http://www.wists.com/thania
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Stroke to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Shadow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add Footage to a Composition in After Effects CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...