A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How perfect is "perfect"?  (Read 3080 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010 06:55:05 PM »

littleme..I couldnt have said it better myself.."Im finding out that not everyone is crafty so what might seem like an imperfection to you, a non crafter wouldnt even notice it"

because I am ALWAYS around crafty folk its hard to see things from a non crafty folk point of view..sometimes someones non perfect is someone elses perfection..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
tapestrymlp
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~Tapestry~

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010 05:27:35 PM »

I agree with what many of the other posters are saying - part of the charm of Etsy is knowing that the items ARE handmade and they are going to look handmade. If the buyer expects machine perfect they should head to Walmart. I think a disclaimer with your listings is a good idea and taking nice but honest pictures is a DEFINITE must.

I make polymer clay figures and no matter how hard I work there will always be a fingerprint somewhere or a slight imperfection in the clay somewhere. It adds to the personality of the piece and as long as the piece still looks good, I go ahead and list the item. Ask yourself if you would be comfortable buying the item you are about to list. If the answer is list and you give full disclosure in your description and pictures then I think you're fine.

Good luck with your store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Tapestry~

Visit my Etsy store for magical crafts & whimsical figures, http://petitepotions.etsy.com
Wolfie Crafty
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010 07:51:42 AM »

First Post! (loooooong-time lurker) Woop!

I agree with everyone else though, hand-made=imperfections=good.

However, I wanted to add that many a time I've bought clothes from high street stores which have been imperfect. And, of course, of lesser quality. So not even mega-super-business aren't immune (well, I'm talking about affordable high street stores from the cheap to the quite expensive - not the high fashion end of things). I've bought items where all the buttons fall off in the first week or so and where the stitching is so awful that I have to sew it back together again.

As long as you make things that don't fall apart the moment you get it back, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Some of the clothes I made have wonky stitching and lumps in various places - but these aren't the things people notice really. And if they do, usually they've said it adds to the overall effect. As long as it looks good and doesn't fall apart, it's all good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010 05:26:42 PM »

What's funny is I have been avoiding Etsy for years for exactly that reason - I didn't feel like anything I made was good enough.

Do you have friends you can show your stuff too? Both crafty and non-crafty ones? I think it's important to get a wide variety of opinions because crafty people tend to already be looking for the little imperfections.

Or go to a craft show or one of those boutiques that sell handmade stuff and look at the things that are selling. I always feel better when I do that because most of the things people go crazy over don't look perfect at all.  Grin

This thread is SOOOO needed by me.  I've been thinking about opening a store, but I have felt my work just wasn't 'perfect' enough yet.  And what you said about how I feel when I buy handmade is so interesting...I hadn't thought about that, but when I'm looking at handmade, and some of the items are a little different sizes, etc. I expect that and just choose the one that appeals to me.  Smiley  Thank you to everyone on this thread for their input.  It helps so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010 10:13:22 AM »

I If the buyer expects machine perfect they should head to Walmart.

OMG!  I don't want to store-bash, but if I want a product to be perfect, I do *not* head to Walmart. 

Cheap assembly-line products (especially textiles & clothes)  are rarely perfect and often wear out really fast.  Even high end products can have issues.  I bought a pair of boots for over $100 and they wore out in 6 months!  Seriously, go to a shop and really look at seams & joins... you'd be surprised at what kinds of imperfections pass through on manufactured goods.

I say do your best to make sure your products are technically sound, make sure they don't look sloppy, and toss up a disclaimer about the 'unique' qualities of your home-made item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherryrose
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010 12:50:19 PM »

I think little imperfections make the item perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
Maggiedoll
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010 12:56:57 PM »

It's a good reality check to stop by a consignment shop or thrift store (or, for that matter, a department store) and take a look at the construction of their garments.  I recently found a consignment shop in my area and I was blown away by the imperfections in a lot of higher-end, very expensive garments.  Fudged linings, buckled seams, you name it.  There is no such thing as perfect.  Almost anybody who says otherwise is lying.  (I'm sure there a small contingent of very professional, obsessive-compulsive seamstresses out there who can make things with no identifiable flaws.  But those people probably aren't selling on Etsy.)  Things made in factories by machines aren't perfect either. When you sew, you notice those things, you chastise yourself for those things, at the very least, you make mental notes about how you might do it better next time.  But a huge percentage of imperfections that are noticed by someone who sews aren't going to be noticed by someone who doesn't. 
It might be helpful to pick up some department store clothing from a thrift shop, so you have a good reference as to what people who buy clothing consider to be good quality.  You don't want to settle for making low quality items just because so much RTW is low quality, but at least when you're critiquing something you've made, you can remember that while you might want to mentally file the imperfections as things to improve on, very few of those things will ever be noticed by someone who doesn't sew. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010 02:57:25 PM »

That's such an excellent point.  I was looking at my favorite purchased bag the other day with a sewist's and designer's eye, and I realized it was put together kind of bulky, with what I would consider messy seaming and not so graceful design choices!  And yet I love this bag!  I think we totally look at things with much more critical eyes as designers and crafters than any consumers, including ourselves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
21 Nights Book Trailer
Nikki Sixx Talks About Heroin Diaries Part 4
Donald Trump Talks About Think Like a Champion
Perils of Pursuing a Prince Book Trailer
The Book of Spam Book Trailer Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...