A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How perfect is "perfect"?  (Read 3139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luna1375
« on: October 28, 2009 06:13:40 AM »

I suppose this question can be answered by both buyers and sellers on Etsy.  I don't have an Etsy store yet, but I've been wanting to sell stuff on Etsy for a while now. 

What holds me back is that in most of the things I make, no matter how hard I try to be "perfect" there are often small imperfections that come from things like: I do not own a laser cutting machine.  So, like, if I made greeting cards, any embellishments would be cut out by hand.  I'm pretty good with scissors, but if you look close you can tell it wasn't done by a machine like with cards you'd buy in a store. 

I also make jewelery, sometimes with shrink plastic, and those of you who are familiar with this may know that sometimes the plastic doesn't shrink completely evenly, so what started as a circle might be more like an oval when it comes out of the oven.

And then, I also want to make and sell coasters, and I glue cork to the back to protect the surfaces they'll be on.  I cut the paper for the front with a rotary cutter at work, so that looks great, but the cork doesn't fit in the cutter so I had to use scissors, and it's not laser-perfect either. 

So my question is, how big a deal are imperfections like this?  Should I wait and save up for some kind of cutting machine so my stuff will look as good as things in the store?  Or should I go ahead and try to sell my imperfect things but sell them really cheap?  Or do people not mind imperfections so much on etsy since the stuff is handmade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009 09:26:21 PM »

I sometimes ask my self that too, but I've come to realize that small imperfections can't be seen unless I tell people, so I don't fret on the really minor stuff. If it is obvious that a seam is crooked or the fabric is cut uneven, then I go & redo things. It is easy to be hard on yourself when selling your crafts. I tend to take myself for granted & it can get frustrating. Craftster has helped, hopefully the critics we are all giving are honest. If you haven't already, post some things & ask for honest opinions. Sometimes detail work is hard to see in pics, but you'll at least get general critics. Sorry, I don't think I answered all your questions, but I just wanted to give you my opinion.

**On a side note** My husband was just in here & said that "small imperfections are what make things unique."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009 09:28:54 PM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009 08:47:17 AM »

Ive slept on it & I think I can answer your questions better. Cutting stuff I cant cut a straight line let alone a circle & thats even following drawn lines. I use a paper cutter, rotary cutter w/an acrylic see thru quilting ruler & a circle cutter. These tools help me a lot a laser cutting machine would be awesome for you, but if you cant afford it right now then the tools I just mentioned would be my 2nd choice. Really minor cut imperfections I think are ok. Its what my husband said about small imperfections.

As long as your imperfections dont affect the overall design of your product, then I think youre ok selling them at regular price. I think most people on Etsy (I am a seller) do their best work, but I do notice some imperfections & I think its up to the buyer whether or not they want to buy it or not. Im finding out that not everyone is crafty so what might seem like an imperfection to you, a non crafter wouldnt even notice it. Thats why I dont fret the really small stuff  I do a lot of sewing (bags & purses) & sometimes a small part of the seam will get caught & there will be a little pucker. If I just iron it carefully, it goes away & I dont have to rip the seam out. As you go along w/your craft, you will eventually find a way to not fret the small stuff too. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009 05:50:26 AM »

I tend to put a disclaimer up regarding imperfections as being part of anything handmade. Maybe something like this:

"Disclaimer: This item is handmade, so please be prepared for the slight imperfections that comes with being a handmade product."

Just as long as the buyer is aware that they aren't getting anything machined cut and 'perfect', I'm sure they will be okay with small imperfections.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Farren
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009 09:41:56 AM »

Another option is taking really honest but lovely pictures of your item! Sometimes my product doesn't turn out ideal and there is NO GOING BACK! lol, so I do what ^^ was said above, announce that since the item is handmade, imperfections are part of the process, and then make sure to have a picture that shows the flaws I'm fretting about. I had one of the images on one of my journals turn out a little wonky in my eyes and made sure to include a closeup of it - it was the first to go! And the customer made a point to announce she liked exactly what I had disliked about the image! lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009 09:23:48 PM »

You're thinking the same thing I'm thinking LOL.  Small imperfections happen to EVERYBODY, and are a part of every product.  So far, the products I've even bought on Etsy all have some kind of imperfections, like jump rings that stretch, prints that rub off a bit, & ink that smears (OK now that one got me mad because I paid almost $30 for the item).  This is normal to me, because no one can be absolutely perfect in their design-not even big companies with huge factories.  This is something that needs to be more understood on Etsy.

In fact, I got a bit discouraged a couple months ago when I was posting all the time on the Etsy forums and felt pressured that I had to make everything absolutely perfect--from what people said in critiques, from the machine perfection that the featured front page stuff had, & from the "I won't buy from you if..." threads.  I felt so pressured to be obsessively perfect in every single craft I made that I lost interest in crafting.  Honestly! Don't let this happen to you; small imperfections are natural and OK as long as they don't interfere with the main objective of the product and don't create any quality issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009 08:23:29 AM »

. . . I lost interest in crafting.

I totally understand sugarshoxcrafts. Recently, almost everything I make comes out wrong. Either I measure wrong or I don't allow enough room for the pockets. It can get very discouraging at times. Don't give up, keep at it. What I do is find something real easy to do that can give me instant gratification & make me feel good about crafting again. Maybe put aside what you're making at the moment & make something totally different that can help inspire you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luna1375
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009 08:38:18 AM »

Thank you all for your replies! I did ask some things on etsy's forums too, but honestly I find the people there kind of intimidating. I find this whole process intimidating, actually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009 11:09:34 PM »

Thank you all for your replies! I did ask some things on etsy's forums too, but honestly I find the people there kind of intimidating. I find this whole process intimidating, actually.

Each forum seems to have its own culture, but I don't blame you; you have to be so careful when posting stuff in the Etsy one.  I always think twice about what I put in there for fear of their reaction or how it could come to bite me back later.  I think it's best to discuss more sensitive things off the site so you don't have to worry about that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
Wildfyre
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010 03:28:45 PM »

I agree that small imperfections are part of buying handmade  Smiley And most of the people won't notice.

I just sold my very first item on Etsy and now I am paranoid about it. I look at it and see a seam that poked out a little from the binding.. etc etc etc. But no one else seems to notice it. In fact, the prototype was a gift to my Mother, I whipped it out in a hurry, finished it while we were visiting for the Holidays, and I'm 100% sure it is far more imperfect than my most recent ones. But.. hers is the reason I sold out. She took it to the mall with her and several people went crazy over it... and they were actually seeing it in person.. in all of it's imperfect glory! Then they bought every one that I had listed on Etsy  Shocked

What's funny is I have been avoiding Etsy for years for exactly that reason - I didn't feel like anything I made was good enough.

Do you have friends you can show your stuff too? Both crafty and non-crafty ones? I think it's important to get a wide variety of opinions because crafty people tend to already be looking for the little imperfections.

Or go to a craft show or one of those boutiques that sell handmade stuff and look at the things that are selling. I always feel better when I do that because most of the things people go crazy over don't look perfect at all.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Maple Whiskey Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Straight Up BBQ Sauce
How to Make Naturally Sweet Barbecue Sauce
How to Make a Strip Loin Steak With Coke Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Coffee Barbecue Sauce for Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...