A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone wear Pantyhose anymore? Or is this trend gone?  (Read 12195 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2009 05:44:16 AM »

I grew up in the 80s (age 31), and we NEVER wore a dress without 'hose because it was considered crude unless you were in a sundress outside at a bbq.  Cool Well, I am from Pittsburgh, and that is how we all were brought up!

Now since the late 90s, I have noticed that amungst the younger gen, the bare legs were more acceptable. I rarely notice a youngin wearin 'hose! Tights are not even that popular until Fall Season.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am not slammin' anybody who DOES/DOES NOT wear 'hose! I would love to see where this discussion goes!

CONS: Most of the time I prefer not to wear them. I am a big girl, and they are HORRIBLE to put on and a PITA to go to the bathroom with! They HATE my curves! They are made straight up and down and make me feel like a sausage! LOL Plus there is a 5 minute pre-wear stretch-out routine to get them on, which in and of itself requires moves from the macarena, the hustle, and the electric slide to maneuver!

PROS: they can look sexy on a younger woman, they hide spider veins (i have em, and meh, who cares really), they can make an outfit "pop" with extra color, they make YOUR SHOES fit nicer, protect your feet from blisters, did I mention sexy pinup-look?

So gals, whatcha thinking?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009 07:15:26 AM »

I grew up in the 80's and was brought up the same way, you wear a dress you wear the hose.  My solution, I stopped wearing dresses and skirts.  I hated hose.  Every Con you mentioned outweighed the few meager pro's.  I have some slight sensory issues and just can not deal with anything that wants to be a second skin in every uncomfortable way. 

Now that it's the norm to not wear hose with dresses and skirts.  I have started to wear them again.  Especially in the heat of the summer.  Where I live it's the norm for summer heat to be in the triple digits. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009 10:09:46 AM »

Just my personal opinion here:

If your legs are potato white, wear hose.
If your legs have spider veins, wear hose.
If you are carrying some extra weight, wear hose.
If you have wrinkly knees, wear hose.
If there are scars on your legs, wear hose.

In other words, unless you are "young" (relative term so it gets quotes), 6 ft tall, tanned and slim, wear hose. Personally, although I hate wearing them, I hope they come back in style, especially in the office. I think women look half dressed without them, other than for casual sun dresses in hot weather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009 11:20:51 AM »

My legs aren't perfect and I don't mind wearing skirts without hose when it's warm enough, but let's face it..that is not going to fly for most of the year here in the upper Midwest.  Plus for certain occasions, bare legs just doesn't feel appropriate - for example, weddings, funerals, professional events.

Colored or fancy patterned tights, leggings, and hose (nylons, as we call them here) are great, but sometimes you just need flesh-toned hose.  I don't think they're a fashion faux pas.  I just think one has to pay special attention to the color and sheerness of them so they match your skin tone well and don't stand out.  If you'll be wearing hose regularly, you'll probably want to shop around a bit and find a brand and style that fits you well (not all are created equal!).  The ones I've liked best lately have a bit of spandex in the leg (not just the "control top" area).  It can be hard to find the right color for my pasty white legs, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
soorawn
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009 11:28:27 AM »

Same here.  And being plump myself, I spent many years wasting money on tights to have them break the very first time I put them on, so my relationship with them has for a long time been a hate-hate one.  Until I found tights that were better quality PLUS my actual size.  I enjoy them more now, and since my legs are horribly white whatever I do (I've been known to take artificial sunbaths to end up with a beautiful toasted belly while my legs stayed as white as ever), they help me look better.  They make you look more stylish too.  I stay away from nylon ones and use polyamide - much more comfy and I don't break them so easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009 12:37:03 PM »

I think it is still appropriate to wear them, as someone else said, for the professional office, weddings, funerals, evening events, etc. I don't think they should be mandatory, especially in the summer, with casual skirts and dresses. I don't agree that you should only go without hose if your legs are perfect. Just wear a skirt that is the appropriate length if you have anything unsightly going on, and for goodness sake, shave!

I do not think you should wear hose if you are wearing sandals. Of course, there are a lot of instances that people wear sandals when they shouldn't... (Like the office.)

One of my biggest pet pieves is white panty hose. I think they should only be worn by nurses, brides, or girls under 5.

Traditionally, your hose are supposed to match your shoes or be lighter than the hem of your skirt.

I do still wear hose occasionally, and when I do, I follow the above rules. The best fitting and longest lasting hose I have bought are the mail order ones, Silkies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009 12:47:39 PM »

Wink interesting replies so far!  Wink

...to weigh in another question....I personally don't give a rats azz if my legs are white and it bothers someone, because I am proud of my pale graveyard complexion that I work hard to maintain. I think porcelain white skin is beautiful, and certainly more healthy than the "leather" look.   Tongue

----So have you ever been offended personally by someone's legs? I mean, they are legs afterall! It's not like people can help their complexion or their spider veins!

(and i will add this...if I went by BT's rules..I would have to wear a BURKA!  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009 02:12:06 PM »

XDDD a burka... mmm... I'll consider it.
Nah, too hot for summer.
I consider my legs too white to my taste, but it is rare the times I find somebody else's legs -how would I say it ... - disappointing.  And I am nobody to complain about them.  Same as I wouldn't like people to complain about mine.  It's more a matter of self-satisfaction.  Huh, I wish I could explain it better.  About tanned or white skin, I think everything's nice in moderation and also every person has a different tone.
I remember having seen legs absolutely raided by spider veins, and what I thought was that it must be annoying/painful for the person.  It's not as if you can make the choice, so it would be cruel to react negatively to that as if the person could magically change them to YOUR taste.
I remember several years ago in another forum, one mostly dedicated to ladies, a young male came and said that women should not wear sandals unless their feet were lovely, and extended with a lot of offensive explanations about how much HE suffered seeing feet that were not perfect in the street.  Of course, most users reacted very badly against such stupidity.  Who was to judge when a foot is pretty?  Him?  Ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
N30Nb100d
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009 06:26:24 PM »

I don't care much about how other people's legs look - if they want to wear hose, fine, if not, that's fine too. Personally I hate wearing them, they always feel too tight around my waist hips and just about painful, even if I buy a large size. BUT I do wear them. Some outfits/shoes need them. I hate when my feet stick to the inside of a pair of heels because I have bare feet. A business outfit feels unfinished without them, and I like that they can add color or smooth the color of my legs (my knees are darker than the rest). On the topic of pale legs, I wear hose sometimes to make mine look paler because I like the way they look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009 06:32:34 PM »

Well, about 15 years ago I fell while roller skating and broke my wrists, so I started wearing knee highs whenever I wore a skirt...it meant wearing longer skirts but I was fine with that....I never liked short skirts on me anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw - Cro Marmot - Happy Tree Friends
How to Draw a Bobo Hah
Portrait Retouching in Photoshop Camera Raw
How to Draw Bloo
Pushing the Limits of Wallpaper Art
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...