A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prison Crafts  (Read 3498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009 02:58:01 PM »

can she have felting needles? felting doesnt need scissors

she could make flour and water glue that would work for paper arts, chunky pages, inchies, ATC's

tatting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009 06:31:43 PM »

can she have felting needles? felting doesnt need scissors

shes in max security so Im not sure, I think they may class them as weapons. They arent even allowed scissors in their rooms!
Itd drive me nuts being in jail, theyd take all my craft stuff off me  Cheesy  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009 07:13:28 PM »

You need to contact the jail, see if you can talk to someone who is actually responsible for monitoring mail. I had a friend in jail and I sent some origami paper, and they refused to let her have it. They said "stationery" was not allowed. It's not just about what is or isn't a weapon, they have very strict rules. You should find them out so you aren't wasting your time putting the package together with things she can't have.

One of the things the mentioned was that I could send her crochet patters, and she was allowed to save up to buy a hook & yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
bubblegum_phoenix

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009 09:27:41 PM »

You need to contact the jail, see if you can talk to someone who is actually responsible for monitoring mail. I had a friend in jail and I sent some origami paper, and they refused to let her have it. They said "stationery" was not allowed. It's not just about what is or isn't a weapon, they have very strict rules. You should find them out so you aren't wasting your time putting the package together with things she can't have.

yea, thats the worst thing, things we dont deam as weapons they do. Everything I send I will write to her about first and get a permission slip  Wink that way Im not wasting anyones time
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009 06:20:14 AM »

I wonder if they would allow one of these? http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2716&PRODID=prd2780

Also, maybe that plastic canvas stuff would be OK?  I think you use plastic needles with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
bubblegum_phoenix

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009 03:50:03 PM »

Hey guys! Thanks heaps for all your help. I got a letter back from Ashley yesterday and shes asked me to find her some thread and patterns for friendship bracelets so thats hopefully going to keep her busy for a bit.
She also wanted some of her hardanger stuff but wasnt sure how she would cut the holes lol.
YOU ALL ROCK!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsayrose
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009 06:16:30 PM »

I have a friend who is high security prison, I've tried thinking of some similar things but like you say they aren't allowed much of anything. I was looking around once on the internet and came across these beautifully crafted and creative works of art I think it's nice to share.

This man paints with a paintbrush made from aluminum foil, plastic wrap and his own hair, and he uses the pigments from the candy coating of m&m's it's remarkable I think.

Here's a link to a story about him http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/21/us/21artist.html

I've tried to find some of his art it's really kind of special I think to take something so mundane and using it for something lovely.

http://www.donnyjohnson.net/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009 01:50:30 PM »

As someone who has interned in the field of corrcetions , maybe i can share a bit...

Anything that is hard , pointed , wood , plastic or metal is usually a No-no. So plastic needles are def out as are pretty much all fiber arts hooks/tools

They can be used as is, or modified into weapons ( so can toothbrushes thats why theirs are monitored in prison)

Make sure she is allowed threads before sending them, they can be used for cutting other items and for "fishing" things to/fro other cells ( a big offence, esp since she is in Max Sec.)

pencils and soft pastels and crayons are usually allowed ( but shes in max and that can vary)

as is plain white paper.

Even if you can just send her at stuff it will help, try to see if your sis can get into a rec program ( or job) so her days are not quiet or so monotious.

if you have other questions please feel free to IM me, I'm not a CO but i am studying in that field and i have access to info that may prove useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubblegum_phoenix

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009 08:54:35 PM »

Thanks Ramen Queen  Smiley

We have managed to get permission for her hardanger to go in, provided she doesnt cut any of the wee holes (we have to cut it before we send it) my Mother and Grandmother are amazingly persuasive when they want to be lol.

Shes trying to get into a "job" at the moment but so far hasnt accepted any (cliques in jail  Roll Eyes )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer of Two Wishes Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Talks About The White Queen
Michael Ian Black Reads from Chicken Cheeks
Julia Gregson Talks About East of the Sun
Lisa Genova on Still Alice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...