A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tapestry weaving starting points???  (Read 1286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2009 12:55:51 PM »

Hello all,

As part of a distance learning thing I'm doing I need to learn how to tapestry weave.  Does any one have any suggestions for books / websites that are useful for the beginner?

Thanks for you help!

Trekky  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
minowisbitt8lo
I'm your thing in a jar...all illuminated

valerian dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010 06:40:10 PM »

you could try "The complete encyclopedia of Needlework" by Therese de Dillmont.  It has a really good chapter on tapestry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"see, if we all thought the same way, we'd all have the same ideas.  it's a good thing to be different.  but minowis...what ARE you doing with that?"

CHOWI!!  I'm swapping again!
Dotees Round 9
textilejnkie
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010 11:34:25 AM »

The best all around book that I use all the time and my mom has used every time she teaches a new weaver over the past 20 years is Learning to Weave by Deborah Chandler.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Weave-Deborah-Chandler/dp/159668139X/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267558187&sr=8-9

Beyond that, I usually find someone to talk to.  The best advice for you is to contact your local weaver's guild.  Someone there can help you out, and weaving is often best taught by someone not from a book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010 05:26:36 PM »

Are you a Beginner beginner?   O.o  I'm not sure what to tell you, but

I just found this video and it shows some nice basics on some of the different, and very basic things you'll want to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtKnvc_9No&feature=related 

A couple of things it does not cover is what to do with the ends of a piece of yarn (just weave it in, and that small spot will get doubled up, but then the end will be secure, don't leave it on the edge... unless that goes will your design I suppose) and that you don't have to interconnect colors that are next to each other and I will create a cool slit.  (It doesn't cover sumac either. Sumac creates texture, but not as much as pile weave, or as they call rya.)

YouTube is a gold mine of videos--use it.  As for books, they can be useful, but you can't ask a book a question and get a clear answer all the time.  If you can find someone that weaves that's the best--but I suppose that's why you're asking here.  Books can get expensive, so check out what your library has. My town's one room library had over 20 books on crochet when I decided I finally needed to learn how.  (I didn't look, but I did see a couple weaving books as well so I'm sure any average library would have a few).

Also, look at other weavings to get ideas. ^_^

...of course this topic was posted October 27, 2009. (just noticing)

O.o  Well, I guess I'll leave this post in case anyone else wants to see the useful video I found, but I hope you managed to learn everything you needed to. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010 04:17:35 AM »

Hello

Thanks for your reply.  I'm definately still learning!  Weaving in the ends sounds like a good idea, mine just stick out the sides, which annoys me as I think I'll have to sew them all on to the back at some point Sad

The first 2 tapestry weavings I did I managed to lose quite a bit of width as I went along, I think I was gradually weaving tighter & tighter!  I currently have one on the loom, and I'm measuring as I go along to hopefully remind myself not to pull the weft through!

Cool video!

Thanks

Trekky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
KyaStar

I like pretty things <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010 07:25:50 AM »

to help with the tightness, make sure to weave with an angle (It's litterally called the weavers angle).  I can't find a diagram but it's really simple.  Instead of going across the warp at 90 degree angles, make it more like 135 (or 45 depending how you look at it) degree angles.  Once you get all of your yarn across, just push it up, and that will not pull in. ^_^  That's the magic of the weavers angle.  (Although, I don't think 45 degrees is right, I seems like too much, but then again I've always been good about my sides saying parallel.  There is no set number that I'm aware of.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgezMcjfvUE&feature=related (This video is super basic, but it talks about what to do with ends and the angle, so it could be worth a glance.)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010 08:06:50 AM by KyaStar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People often say that motivation doesnt last. Well, neither does bathing thats why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Swimwear Takes a Retro Look
Dress Made From Wine
Summer Fashion Tips for Showing Off Your Legs
Style Rat at Governors Island: Retro Twenties Fashion
How to Give Your Collared Top a Gypset Style Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...