A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: punk schoolgirl maternity skirt  (Read 7908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sneeg
« on: April 19, 2005 06:58:16 PM »

I have been looking around for maternity skirts that I like without much success.  And since Wisconsin has about decided to skip over spring and go directly into summer, this has become a bit of a problem.

When I went on my maternity clothing spree, I bought an elastic tube that is supposed to be used for clothing that fits everywhere except for around the belly.  Pants too tight?  Just leave them unzipped and cover with the elastic band.

I never actually used it for that purpose, it just felt too weird.  I thought I had wasted money until I started thinking about maternity skirts.

My maternity skirt solution is to cut the back and front of the skirt normally, with an extra front piece that is almost as big as the normal front piece.  I sew the side seams and hem it normally, I finish the two front edges, and just hem the waist.  This means the skirt fits around my hips about right, and I wrap around in the front, so it should fit through my pregnancy.  I then use the elastic band to hold it in place.  My practice attempt was with some plaid fabric I have in my fabric box:

http://www.projectjanel.org/b2epics/mskirt1.jpg

This next picture is not good enough to really see the safety pins:

http://www.projectjanel.org/b2epics/mskirt2.jpg

After the baby and after my body gets to its new normal, I can get rid of one of the front panels, add a zipper and waistband, and I'll actually be able to continue wearing the skirt.  At least, that is the plan.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010 03:00:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap info: www.projectjanel.or g/swap/index.html
I have wisted some fabrics, but they are just to give an idea of what I like: www.wists.com/sneeg
I like personal swaps, PM me if you're interested
MisfitRed
scarlet crimson sanguine rose carmine vermillion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005 10:39:22 PM »

Wow, very clever!  Looks good, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There's no smile of an angel without the wrath of God..."
~HIM, "Heartache Every Moment"
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005 06:48:45 AM »

That's a great idea!  I especially like the fact that you thought ahead and designed it so that you could wear it post-pregnancy.  I've never understood women who buy hundreds or thousands of dollars of maternity clothes that they can only wear for 4 or 5 months.

Plus, it's just super-cute on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
sneeg
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005 10:29:29 AM »

thanks!

yeah, maternity cloths are *super* expensive.  i normally buy most of my cloths at thrift stores, but most women share cloths among their friends instead of donating them, so they are hard to find.  i did break down and buy maternity pants that fit well.  it turns out i'm a much happier person with pants that actually fit me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have wisted some fabrics, but they are just to give an idea of what I like: www.wists.com/sneeg
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005 08:13:55 PM »

omg i want one of those tubes for my normal clothes. ive gained so much weight since surgery my old favorite black dkny jeans dont fit anymore Sad that woul djust fix the problem straight up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
redthewitch75
You are Here.

"If love is a labour, I'll slave til the end!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005 09:23:01 PM »

Maternity clothes make me feel icky. I had the UGLIEST maternity clothes. Mostly I just wore REALLY huge old biboveralls with tank tops or whatnot. And I soooo would have looked ridiculous and horrendous if I had left my huge belly hanging out, like I have seen some pregnant ladies do. Gods, I didn't even have horrid stretch marks, I was just HUGE. Like, I didn't swallow a watermelon, more like a monster truck tire. So, I hope you get to look really cute during your pregnancy! Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love you more than cheese!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10173989@N00/
sneeg
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005 07:48:30 AM »

hey christinanne, the band is called a bella band and is made by ingrid isabel (i got mine at a pea in the pod, but they are probably available elsewhere)

i'm hoping i look cute during my pregnancy, too!   Cheesy  if nothing else, i'm not due until the fall, so i should be able to wear cute through part of the summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_katonic
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005 08:38:39 PM »

This is a great idea! I'm not due until October but my clothes are already starting to feel a bit tight around the waist.. I might make a few skirts like this myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runswithscissors

Dude, where's my glue gun?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005 07:00:53 AM »

Seriously? You're pregnant?  Oy... my stomach is not as flat as yours and I'n nowhere near being pregnant.  ::skulks off to eat a doughnut::  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saving the world from the forces of darkness with creativity and glue.  Lots of glue. And glitter.
mmd32
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005 05:11:37 AM »

Those bands were really popular last winter here in Sydney, for covering up the gap between the low rise jeans, and the little baby tee, and they are really simple to make.

You just basically make a large tube of jersey, or similar knit, about 8 inches wide, and long enough to go around your waist, and then close it up in a circle.

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Best New Beauty Products for March
Make Your Own All-Natural Physical Sunscreen
Cover Your Pimples Like a Supermodel
How to Fix Dry Brittle Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...