A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A cake for a cowgirl. Yee haw!  (Read 5189 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2009 10:56:47 PM »

Hi all! So, this is my first post in this section. I do alot of cakes, even tried to do it for a living for a while. I've had some culinary training, but am self taught on cakes. I'd say I'm fair at decorating, even though I'm always terrified one of my past cakes will come back to haunt me on Cake Wrecks...

This is a cake I made last weekend for my daughter's third birthday. I made a 3D penguin for her 1st, so I wanted to do something cool for this one too. The theme was Toy Story, focusing on Woody's Roundup gang, because she loves horses and cowboys. I tried to load pics of other decorations on here too so I could post the whole theme, but only the cake would load. So here it is!

I didn't want to use fondant because of the taste, so I stuck with buttercream and used candy clay for the rope, cow spots, and star. Used silver edible dust on the star to make it shine. I freehanded the bandana design. I should have gone one size smaller for the top tier, but otherwise I think I like it. It's not my original idea at all, I googled cowboy cakes and got lots of great ideas. We used bandanas all over as decorations- cut up for penants, with signs on the walls, and wrapped around silverware. I also bought stick horses at the dollar store and dressed them up with rope reigns and bandanas around their necks for lovely and inexpensive party favors that doubled as a game. Also made bandana beanbags for games and of course played pin the tail on Woody's horse. We had pizza (since it's in the movie!) and it was a really nice little party.

Back to the cake- question- I can NEVER get my cakes level and even! Any suggestions? Is the trick in how I ice it? And any time I try to carve my cakes to even them, they crumble. Would anyone share a good, firm, moist, and yummy cake recipe that will stand up to carving- like the cakes they use on all the cake shows! My cakes never carve that well! I'd love any advice! Thanks for looking!

**Right now, the pics are going in sideways. I changed them already, hopefully they'll catch up sometime soon.

Monkeys and figurines from the movie. Also had army guys and a piggy bank. Couldn't get a Mr Potato head though. Woody was sitting next to the cake.

And the birthday girl herself. Isn't she a cutie? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
ozgirl42
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009 05:43:25 AM »

Wow! Great job! Glad you posted the pics after your enquiry. As to leveling a cake, Wilton has a cake leveller that's about $20. OR you can get two pieces of wood of the same width and using a serrated knife - resting the flat of the blade on the two pieces of wood - cut the top level. OR if the cake is still in the tin use a serrated knife and cut across the top of the cake using the cake tin as the guide.
I usually make a chocolate mud cake or madeira cake when I am carving. I find that freezing them and then carving them whilst they're frozen also helps with the crumb thing too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A house is not a home until you can write "I love you, I love you, I love you" in the dust.
cowgirlz101
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009 07:21:34 AM »

I work in a bakery, but that cake....takes the cake! Pun intended....serious ly, I love the handkerchief design u got going on!!! And the rope is way way cool too!

Great pic of your daughter about to blow out the candles! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009 07:47:05 AM »

it's really cute! you did a nice job Smiley (there is nothing wrong with being self taught either)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 08:02:58 AM »

Great looking cake.  I'd eat that.  Nice job.  Cute kid, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
farihahk
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009 04:28:44 PM »

For levelling, I suggest that you wrap the cake up in 1 layer of parchment paper and 2 layers of saran wrap, then put it in a freezer bag and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. when you take it out again, you can level it while it's still somewhat frozen (just let it sit out for about 10 minutes). This way you can mess with the cake as much as you want without it crumbling. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Giddiup222
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009 12:45:01 PM »

My son is so obsessed with Toy story right now. He loves it! We're going to have him a toy story party too! Can you tell me where you got all the cute little toy story things?? I'm not even going to try to tackle a project like that cake. That is way out of my league. I wish I was as talented as you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccas_song
is the craziest song you've ever heard!

Stew anyone?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009 04:23:15 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies! I love how everyone here is so encouraging. Smiley

Giddiup, all the TS figurines are from Walmart! They are gearing up for the release of #3 this summer, so there are lots of new toys out. There is a Woddy that is about a foot from head to toe that is about $30. He's a pretty darn perfect replica & has a pull string w/ phrases! The little tiny figurines are packaged in sets of two. Not sure about price. We also watched the movie and made a list of toys that we could find on our own- army men, barrel of monkeys, potato head, etc. Also, Crayola has giant coloring pages of TS! We used them as posters and even used one of them that had Bullseye on it as a pin the tail game. If you want any more details on our party, let me know! Good luck- it was a fun theme!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well-behaved women rarely make history. -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
SharLaMarz
Crafting is my therapy

I have craft ADD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009 07:01:03 PM »

What a fun theme! I love how you did the Blue bandana print and the ropes around the edges! Very original! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects in 2010: 100/50

My wist: http://www.wists.com/SharLaMarz

Contact me for a personal swap!
reillyclanmom
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010 01:26:51 PM »

CAKE IS ADORABLE AND SO IS YOUR LITTLE GIRL   I RECENTLY TOOK UP CAKE DECO  MY SELF AND LOVE IT   BUT WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Sweet And Spicy Chocolate At Home
Chocolate Chip Cookie Milk Shots
Pancake Recipes for National Pancake Day
Why Are People Clamoring For The Polish Pastry Puczkis?
How to Make Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...