A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super last minute costume help!!! (Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe)  (Read 576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaxParadise
« on: October 23, 2009 07:24:44 PM »

Okay, so I was all happy that both me and the husbands costumes were all finished and figured I could just chill and work on my midterm project report all next week before we leave Friday. Well, my brother (who along with my sister-in-law are the King and Queen of last minute) just called me and asked if I could make my nephew his costume. He wants to be Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe (the movie). Here's a link: http://www.costumeexpress.com/G-I-Joe-Snake-Eyes-Classic-Muscle-Child-Costume/60738/ProductDetail.aspx I guess it's like the number one costume this year and its pretty much sold out everywhere. It also doesn't help that they waited last minute to try and find one. Annnnnnnnd, my nephew wants the muscles in it. Anyone have any idea whatsoever how I can go about making it? I 'm thinking the pants will be fairly easy (hopefully) but I have no idea how to do the top and especially that hood thingy. My bro and sil still have some of my nephew's past halloween costumes (Iron Man and Wolverine) so I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would to be to use the muscles from those costumes, but I still don't know how to go about it. I'm sure I can cut up one of those costumes and use it as a pattern, but...I dunno. Any help/tips?!?!?

Thanks for any info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And your scared to death that you are never going to come alive.

http://www.pintrest.com/dheartst
Feywalker
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009 12:00:51 PM »

Couple of ideas.  You could sew lycra fabric over the existing costume he has, including defining the muscles.  Another idea would be to make a slightly large shirt (or buy one) and sew in quilt batting (or actually sandwich it between two layers of fabic) and then sew the muscle outlines on.  Maybe get a ski mask or baliclava (yes I know I can't spell) for the hood.  For the visor, what about either posterboard or foamie sheet cut to the right shape, cut out eyes, cover it with the see thru black fabric used for mask eyeholes and paint on the lines.  

Or black fabric spraypaint the old costume.  It may take a bit of cans, but it's still semi flexable when dry and and covers quickly.  I know my local craft store also has an airbrush style set up for fabric paint.  

Or get a thin black sweater (that's what thrift stores are for) and cover the old costume with that.  The knit should help it conform with the help of some cutting and resewing of seams to make it tighter.  A sleeve could easily be turned into a hood.

Or tell your brother diyods  Grin

If you can knit: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTantifreeze.html  It has ponytail holes you wouldn't need, but overall the right shape. Or this one: http://knittingincolor.blogspot.com/2009/01/easy-balaclava-this-pattern-was-part-of.html  A dorkier idea would be a black knee high stocking with a face hole cut out...hey burglers wear them all the time.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009 12:20:35 PM by Feywalker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make that...
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009 12:40:40 PM »

Wow.  You're a whole lot nicer than I would be.  I'd tell my bro to do it himself.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials
Simple Balloon Clover Tutorial
How to Arrange a Tulip Bowl Centerpiece
How to Make a Capelet from an Old Sweater
The Basic Supplies to Make a Monster Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...