A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I find good homes for the creations I've made?  (Read 675 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Inner Artist
Dichroic Artist

The Inner Artist Jewelry

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2009 06:57:42 PM »

Hi! My name is Marina Alexandrea Raye and I have a small Jewelry/leather crafting hobby That somewhat is a business called The Inner Artist.  I started in highschool and now I'm in college flooded with all the things I made.

I have 100s of pairs of glass handmade earrings I've made, necklaces, and dichroic glass pendants I've made! Some even have fine silver filigree silver work I did myself! I've gone to the local shops attempting to have them buy or host some of my items, but what i hear from everyone is "economy is rough right now. we cannot take in any new inventory" So what should I do?  I started an Etsy website http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7709643 but haven't sold one thing.  I have 100s of little earrings I have sold at craft fairs for $5 a pair, It seems futile to take so many pictures and try to post them. 

Is there a place that likes to buy said 100s pairs of handmade unique individual earrings and jewelry?  To make matters "worse" I got into leather crafting! So now i have hair clips and costume bracers laying around!  I'm very busy going to college full time and I need to somehow make a profit off of all my creations.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I love all the little things I've made, But I can't make more until I find homes for the ones I have made! 

Thank you for your time and help.  I hope to find some answers!! ~Marina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a look at what I can do for you!
sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009 03:43:32 AM »

I can't really help you with places that wants to buy 100 handmade jewellery, but I can't point out a few things about your etsy store.

I think the biggest thing I noticed with your etsy store is that it lacks a store policy, and that fact you only listed one shipping method. You need to remember that because a potential customer can't see the item physically, there is a lot perceived risks. For instance, if I bought one your $75 necklace, I look at your shipping which is $3, which makes me wonder 'what will happen if the item is lost in the post?'. This is enough to stop me from buying your necklace.

You need to make sure you have a store/return policy in place, and you really need to explain what your shipping method is, whether it cover for loses (if not, will you offer insurance?), and not to mention to not forget to list international shipping as well - if you wanted to sell internationally, that is. I'm from Australia so if I wanted to buy from you, I wouldn't know how much to add on top of the item's price to cover for shipping...and honestly, a lot of online shoppers are too lazy to contact sellers regarding shipping...they tend to want all the information then and there.

The other thing is your measurements in your item description. You seem to alternate between 'cm' and 'inches' which I think will just confuse viewers. Who are you trying to market to? National or International? I suggest either listing in both measurements or stick with inches since alot don't know how to convert from metric to inches.

Don't forget to list in your policy that you are not responsible for customs fees, if the buyer's country has any - otherwise you're going have buyers hassling you about it.

Other than that, you just really need to advertise yourself because, really, there is a lot of competition out there. I hope that helps you somewhat Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009 10:24:55 AM »

You might consider selling "lots" on ebay or Craigslist if you're really stuck with inventory. It's fun to make stuff, less fun to try to sell it. If you want to sell individual pieces on Etsy and the like, you have to spend as much time marketing as you do making (not to mention taking photos and listing). What about gathering other college folk to you who also make stuff, and seeing if you could get a regular table gig right there at school?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009 09:37:08 AM »

Unless you have a huge circle of family & friends Etsy will not make you a fast buck. My stuff is selling very slowly, but I'm not loosing hope. I have a table at a local beauty salon & I sell more stuff there than Etsy.

Your shop does need more details =
- Add more info to your shop announcement (look at other shops for examples).
- Create different sections: necklaces, earrings, etc. to make shopping easier.     
- You have 14 tag options, use them all - who can wear it? what can it be bought   for? color?

As sparkling_gem1987 said, you do need more info on shipping. What CraftyChef said about getting other crafty college folk together & selling your wares is an excellent idea (I bet they need money too). Also, post free ads about your shop every where you can (Craigslist, free classifieds) - you should advertise your shop in your signature line of your Craftster profile even in your email signature line.

Be patient, people are out there, but you just need to get them to see your stuff (advice from my daughter to me).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

noisettemarketing
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009 01:04:04 PM »

Have you thought about jewellery parties? You could put up signs around college or the local area. Most people will buy at jewellery parties. You won't need to take photos of all your stock, just turn up give a free gift to the hostess and sell, sell, sell. Also you could group similar items together into little gift sets.

There is also many things you can do to promote and improve your shop it just depends whether you really want to make a go of it or not.

Also I have to say your hairclips are gorgeous, unlike anything I have seen from other handmade sellers so maybe concentrate on them. 

Good Luck

THIS ROCKS   Logged

classicseamstress
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009 06:19:51 PM »

I was thinking of jewelry parties as well.  Even something like setting up a table in your school's cafeteria during the holidays (if they allow it) could result in some sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Finger Wave Hair
How to Style Long Hair With Jerome Lordet
How to Pin Curl Long Hair
What Are the Best Long Hair Wedding Hairstyles?
How To Do A Quick And Easy Messy Bun
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...