A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,345
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I aint Skeerd of the COLD!.... First Bikini EVER awesomeness  (Read 3251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2009 01:02:32 PM »

I'm a tropical Girl and would wear bikinis year round if I could. Fortunately here in Texas (Houston) the weather is fairly mild enough to pull it off through most of November and granted you have access to a heated pool... But I always dream of Miami!

I will be traveling at the end of November to the Caribbean (be still my heart) via Big Cruise boat... I'm so tired of the affordable bikinis being crap quality and name brand bikinis being so overly expensive and since I just got a new sewing machine (WITH the bells and whistles) I figured it's high time I gave it a shot and made my OWN swimwear.

The outer fabric was insanely thin and most definitely unsuitable for "family friendly vacation environments" so in the top I made a double layer of lining and installed "headlight deflectors" (ie storebought swimwear pads) between the layers in the cups. I also lined the inside of the cups with the outer fabric, so it's the same pattern on both sides. I know, I think I went a little overboard with the layers of linig and fabric and realized this halfway through the project, but hey I'll know better for the next one!
For the bottoms I only did one layer of lining between the outer fabrics and used a complimentary colored fabric for the inside... that I also used to create the string ties. The back side is cut somewhere between a Brazilian and a full coverage I don't know exactly how I managed to get that shape but I like it... LOL now I just need to work on making my butt look more like that Brazilian supermodel's and then I'll be all set!

I am VERY pleased with how it came out and see many more of these in my future! I will post "Action Shots" later after I return home from the trip!

Full COlOr Version...

HAHA!! No my boobs ARE NOT lopsided.. HAHAHAHAH!!

I had a better pic WITHOUT the body spray bottle in the way.. but this one is more comical! CHeeky CHeeky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnieBowser
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009 02:10:05 PM »

That is nuts!
I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009 02:49:54 PM »

Awesome!  Have a great trip!  I've been mentally trying to figure out how to make my ideal bikini top for awhile now... This is inspiring enough that maybe I'll actually get to it this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 27
RyuuDolly
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 03:14:32 PM »

I want one !!! lol  I love the pattern.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 03:35:54 PM »

I like the style of top you made. maybe layers are good for when it gets wet though. did you try wearing it in the shower or tub to see what happens when it does?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Elphelba
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 11:08:40 PM »

Nice job Smiley that looks really professional (and expensive). The pattern really works with the cut of the swimsuit and I think it looks great on you. I hope you have a great trip.

Also, I see some one mentioned the "wet test"- I STRONGLY suggest doing this. I made a swim suit a while back and didn't anticipate how very much the fabric would stretch, and this is the only thing that prevented me from losing my bottoms in front of my partner's family  Embarrassed. Mine didn't tie though, so that might make yours more friendly to stretching out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
patchyemm
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009 10:18:36 PM »

Fantastic work - that looks really professional, and the style looks terrific on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eaon2002
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009 12:29:09 PM »

Thats awesome! 
(i live in houston too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clockrille
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009 05:59:11 AM »

Never would have guessed it's not store-bought.
Good job, it looks great Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Be Bold: How To Wear a Bright Red Wig
How to Curl Your Hair With 3 Different Styling Tools
VF COLLECTIONS: Bora Aksu Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
VF NEWS: Holly Fulton Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
The Amazing Hair Evolution of Jared Leto
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...