A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,906
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting project bag -improved pictures!- w/ written tute  (Read 20813 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitch81
« on: October 26, 2009 11:19:28 AM »

What is a person to do when faced with the reality of having to frog her latest project?  Throw it in a corner and make a bag!

I've been looking at several knitting bags online, and just haven't found one I like... so, after thinking about what I want my bag to have, and what I want it to hold, this is what I came up with.  I used materials I already had in my stash, so I think total it maybe cost $5.

Features... magazine/pattern slot.  Detachable yarn bag (has magnets to hold it to the side of the bag, additional pockets for my needle roll and circular needle case.  Water holder, key fob, and zippered pocket on the outside.

Finished measurement are  9 inches tall, 16 inches wide, and 6 inches across.

Knitters carry-All Tote

Outside:

Cut 2 pc. Of pattern fabric   22 x 17
Cut 2 pc. Of black canvas 7x 22
Cut 2 pc. Of black canvas 3x 22
Cut 2 pc. Fusible stiff interfacing 22x 17

Iron interfacing to wrong side of patterned fabric

*Lay out interfaced pattern fabri can from the top, measure 2 inches down and draw a line across the length (22 inch) of the fabric

Measure from the bottom 6 inches and draw a line across the length of the fabric.

Using the lines as a guide, lay your 3 x 22 inch black fabric just below the top line.  Using inch seam sew along the black fabric (so your sew line will be inch below the line you drew).  Now fold the black fabric upward and press.   The black fabric should be flush with the interfaced top of the patterned fabric.  Do the same for the bottom.  Place your black fabric just above the line, and sew along the length using  inch seam.  Now fold the black fabric down and press.  The black fabric should now be flush with the bottom of the interfaced pattern fabric.  Baste along the top and bottom.  **

Repeat *-** for second out pc.

If a zippered pocket is desired, add that now.  (I am not good with describing my zippering process, so youll have to look that up, Ill just confuse you)

Lay the two outside pcs. Right sides together and sew along the sides using 5/8 inch seam allowance.  (use 5/8 allowance from here on out unless otherwise specified).  Press seams open and top stitch on both sides of the seam to hold in place (this greatly reduces bulk).

Now sew along the bottom of the bag,   Press bottom corner together so the side seam and bottom seam come together.  This will form a triangle or point at the bottom corner of the bag.  Measure 2 inches from the point  and then sew across the point.  Do the same for the other side.  Now, press open the bottom seam  (you will have to take a few stitch out of the corners to allow the seam to lay flat.)  Top stitch the bottom the same way you did the sides.  Tack the points under.

INSIDE:

Cut 2 pcs. Black canvas 22 x 17
Cut 2 pcs. Patterned fabric 38 x 8

Taking the black fabric, lay them right sides together and sew one side only.  Press open seam and topstitch in place.

Place patterned fabric right sides together and sew all around leaving an opening to turn and press.

Measure 3 inches from the bottom of the black inner fabric and using a fabric pencil, draw a line all the way across.

Now measure 3  inches from each of the raw edge sides of the inner fabric, make a small mark with the fabric pencil.

Using these marks, lay out your patterned fabric, so that it is 3  inches from each side, and 3 inches from the bottom of the black fabric.  Pin in place and sew bottom and sides of the patterned fabric.

From either edge of the patterned fabric, measure 14 inches, sew a line down.  (this forms the magazine pocket).  Then from the other side, measure 8 inches, sew a line down.  This forms the pocket for my circular needle case.  Then from that line, measure 6 inches, (this holds my needle roll),and sew a line down .  The remaining pocket forms the water bottle holder.

Now sew the remaining side seam of the black inner fabric..  press seam open and topstitch.  

For the magnet tabs, I purchased some small round super strong magnets.  I made 4 small pouches and sewed the magnets inside.   Sew your first magnet tab about 6 inches from the bottom of the black inner fabric on the seam.  Sew the second magnet tab 3 inches above that.   Now sew along the bottom of the black inner section.  Follow the same rules for making the corners, and folding them under as you did for the outer layers.

I cut and covered a 15 x 5 inch pc. Of sturdy plastic to give the bottom support and placed that between the outer and inner layer.

Make handles as desired, at desired length.

Now place the inner bag into the outer bag and fold edges together so the raw edges are hidden.  Pin your straps in place between the layers.  If you wish to have a key fob, make that and pin in place between the layers.  Sew around the outside top edge of the bag.

DRAWSTRING YARN BAG:

Cut 2 circles 6 inch diameter of each black and patterned fabric
Cut 2 pcs. 12 x 19 1/2  of each black and patterned fabric

Sew circles together with wrong sides together.

Sew black fabric at side seam (12 inches)
Sew patterned fabric at side seam

Put black and patterned fabric together with wrong sides together and baste along the bottom.

Sew circle in place.  Serge the seam.

Push inner fabric down to the inside out of the way.  Using button hole function, make 2 holes for the drawstring about 3 inches down from the top of the black fabric.  Pull up the inner fabric and fold the sides together so raw edges are hidden.  Sew around the bag just below the button holes.  Thread cord through and attach drawstring stop.  Had sew remaining 2 magnet tabs to the out side of the bag.  Be careful to line them up so the magnets are attracted to each other.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer any questions.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 11:44:32 AM by stitch81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zgms mommy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009 11:30:59 AM »

This is really great! You are so creative! Do you have a tute for this or some pointers for making one of my own? Thank you for posting this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009 11:37:27 AM »

I've been sitting here trying to write out what I did... when I get it done, I'll post it.  If I can, I'll see if I can get some pictures to add with the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destiny7877
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 12:03:44 PM »

Wow...I love it. Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogangel
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 12:14:42 PM »

Super, fantastic, amazing, awesome job! Wink I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 12:26:43 PM »

Your bag is awesome! I've got a list of things I'd like in a bag, but Ihaven't gotten around to doing it yet, but it's nice to see it can be done. Great job, it looks really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eaon2002
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 03:25:43 PM »

I may need to make one of these up soon!  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 03:31:25 PM »

I love that you included a place for water! Is it waterproof? i am always afraid that the bottle is going to sweat on my yarn or patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
stitch81
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 04:09:24 PM »

I love that you included a place for water! Is it waterproof? i am always afraid that the bottle is going to sweat on my yarn or patterns.

shoot, no, it isn't water proof... I stuck the water bottle in there just to fill the space, but I should probably add that to the list of things to alter for the next one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixfiredesigns
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 04:45:33 PM »

Oh it's brilliant! I'm going to have to remember to wist this when I get home. (And hey...! I recognize that fabric! Grin )

Your work is always so lovely. And owning a piece of your skillful crafting, I can say that with great certainty!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Let Olivia Palermo, Jessica Alba, and More Be Your Guide to Getaway Style
Who Rocked The Zuhair Murad Frock: Padma Lakshmi Vs. Alessandra Ambrosio?
Must See Winter Fashion Trends
Invest in a Cold-Weather Vest Right Now
Fashion Expert Marcy Guevara Gives Us Style Tips For Plus Sized Women
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...