A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting project bag -improved pictures!- w/ written tute  (Read 19588 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitch81
« on: October 26, 2009 11:19:28 AM »

What is a person to do when faced with the reality of having to frog her latest project?  Throw it in a corner and make a bag!

I've been looking at several knitting bags online, and just haven't found one I like... so, after thinking about what I want my bag to have, and what I want it to hold, this is what I came up with.  I used materials I already had in my stash, so I think total it maybe cost $5.

Features... magazine/pattern slot.  Detachable yarn bag (has magnets to hold it to the side of the bag, additional pockets for my needle roll and circular needle case.  Water holder, key fob, and zippered pocket on the outside.

Finished measurement are  9 inches tall, 16 inches wide, and 6 inches across.

Knitters carry-All Tote

Outside:

Cut 2 pc. Of pattern fabric   22 x 17
Cut 2 pc. Of black canvas 7x 22
Cut 2 pc. Of black canvas 3x 22
Cut 2 pc. Fusible stiff interfacing 22x 17

Iron interfacing to wrong side of patterned fabric

*Lay out interfaced pattern fabri can from the top, measure 2 inches down and draw a line across the length (22 inch) of the fabric

Measure from the bottom 6 inches and draw a line across the length of the fabric.

Using the lines as a guide, lay your 3 x 22 inch black fabric just below the top line.  Using inch seam sew along the black fabric (so your sew line will be inch below the line you drew).  Now fold the black fabric upward and press.   The black fabric should be flush with the interfaced top of the patterned fabric.  Do the same for the bottom.  Place your black fabric just above the line, and sew along the length using  inch seam.  Now fold the black fabric down and press.  The black fabric should now be flush with the bottom of the interfaced pattern fabric.  Baste along the top and bottom.  **

Repeat *-** for second out pc.

If a zippered pocket is desired, add that now.  (I am not good with describing my zippering process, so youll have to look that up, Ill just confuse you)

Lay the two outside pcs. Right sides together and sew along the sides using 5/8 inch seam allowance.  (use 5/8 allowance from here on out unless otherwise specified).  Press seams open and top stitch on both sides of the seam to hold in place (this greatly reduces bulk).

Now sew along the bottom of the bag,   Press bottom corner together so the side seam and bottom seam come together.  This will form a triangle or point at the bottom corner of the bag.  Measure 2 inches from the point  and then sew across the point.  Do the same for the other side.  Now, press open the bottom seam  (you will have to take a few stitch out of the corners to allow the seam to lay flat.)  Top stitch the bottom the same way you did the sides.  Tack the points under.

INSIDE:

Cut 2 pcs. Black canvas 22 x 17
Cut 2 pcs. Patterned fabric 38 x 8

Taking the black fabric, lay them right sides together and sew one side only.  Press open seam and topstitch in place.

Place patterned fabric right sides together and sew all around leaving an opening to turn and press.

Measure 3 inches from the bottom of the black inner fabric and using a fabric pencil, draw a line all the way across.

Now measure 3  inches from each of the raw edge sides of the inner fabric, make a small mark with the fabric pencil.

Using these marks, lay out your patterned fabric, so that it is 3  inches from each side, and 3 inches from the bottom of the black fabric.  Pin in place and sew bottom and sides of the patterned fabric.

From either edge of the patterned fabric, measure 14 inches, sew a line down.  (this forms the magazine pocket).  Then from the other side, measure 8 inches, sew a line down.  This forms the pocket for my circular needle case.  Then from that line, measure 6 inches, (this holds my needle roll),and sew a line down .  The remaining pocket forms the water bottle holder.

Now sew the remaining side seam of the black inner fabric..  press seam open and topstitch.  

For the magnet tabs, I purchased some small round super strong magnets.  I made 4 small pouches and sewed the magnets inside.   Sew your first magnet tab about 6 inches from the bottom of the black inner fabric on the seam.  Sew the second magnet tab 3 inches above that.   Now sew along the bottom of the black inner section.  Follow the same rules for making the corners, and folding them under as you did for the outer layers.

I cut and covered a 15 x 5 inch pc. Of sturdy plastic to give the bottom support and placed that between the outer and inner layer.

Make handles as desired, at desired length.

Now place the inner bag into the outer bag and fold edges together so the raw edges are hidden.  Pin your straps in place between the layers.  If you wish to have a key fob, make that and pin in place between the layers.  Sew around the outside top edge of the bag.

DRAWSTRING YARN BAG:

Cut 2 circles 6 inch diameter of each black and patterned fabric
Cut 2 pcs. 12 x 19 1/2  of each black and patterned fabric

Sew circles together with wrong sides together.

Sew black fabric at side seam (12 inches)
Sew patterned fabric at side seam

Put black and patterned fabric together with wrong sides together and baste along the bottom.

Sew circle in place.  Serge the seam.

Push inner fabric down to the inside out of the way.  Using button hole function, make 2 holes for the drawstring about 3 inches down from the top of the black fabric.  Pull up the inner fabric and fold the sides together so raw edges are hidden.  Sew around the bag just below the button holes.  Thread cord through and attach drawstring stop.  Had sew remaining 2 magnet tabs to the out side of the bag.  Be careful to line them up so the magnets are attracted to each other.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer any questions.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 11:44:32 AM by stitch81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zgms mommy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009 11:30:59 AM »

This is really great! You are so creative! Do you have a tute for this or some pointers for making one of my own? Thank you for posting this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009 11:37:27 AM »

I've been sitting here trying to write out what I did... when I get it done, I'll post it.  If I can, I'll see if I can get some pictures to add with the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destiny7877
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 12:03:44 PM »

Wow...I love it. Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogangel
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 12:14:42 PM »

Super, fantastic, amazing, awesome job! Wink I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 12:26:43 PM »

Your bag is awesome! I've got a list of things I'd like in a bag, but Ihaven't gotten around to doing it yet, but it's nice to see it can be done. Great job, it looks really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eaon2002
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 03:25:43 PM »

I may need to make one of these up soon!  Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 03:31:25 PM »

I love that you included a place for water! Is it waterproof? i am always afraid that the bottle is going to sweat on my yarn or patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
stitch81
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 04:09:24 PM »

I love that you included a place for water! Is it waterproof? i am always afraid that the bottle is going to sweat on my yarn or patterns.

shoot, no, it isn't water proof... I stuck the water bottle in there just to fill the space, but I should probably add that to the list of things to alter for the next one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixfiredesigns
~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 04:45:33 PM »

Oh it's brilliant! I'm going to have to remember to wist this when I get home. (And hey...! I recognize that fabric! Grin )

Your work is always so lovely. And owning a piece of your skillful crafting, I can say that with great certainty!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
stitch81
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009 06:57:09 PM »

Oh it's brilliant! I'm going to have to remember to wist this when I get home. (And hey...! I recognize that fabric! Grin )

Your work is always so lovely. And owning a piece of your skillful crafting, I can say that with great certainty!  Wink

lol... thanks phoenix!  I had to destash and loved that fabric.   Now I have to go out and buy more durable canvas since I ran out.  I'm going to make a couple more for christmas gifts for my knitting friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009 09:36:06 AM »

That is a mighty fine looking bag you made lol.  I know what you mean about doing something else when you have to frog something - need to recharge those creative batteries.  Okay. That did sound as dorky as I thought it would but I had to put it in since well, it is a ridiculous comment and maybe someone will get a chuckle out of it.  Cheesy
You did a super job and thanks for the tutorial - I might have to make one up for a friend of mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009 10:31:30 AM »

Great Job, I love the pockets you put in for everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009 10:45:18 AM »

Wow, this is fantastic!  I've already wisted it and hit It Rocks.  I love the detachable yarn bag, the places for water, etc..  I may have to try my hand at this after Christmas.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
stitch81
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009 12:07:27 PM »

That is a mighty fine looking bag you made lol.  I know what you mean about doing something else when you have to frog something - need to recharge those creative batteries.  Okay. That did sound as dorky as I thought it would but I had to put it in since well, it is a ridiculous comment and maybe someone will get a chuckle out of it.  Cheesy
You did a super job and thanks for the tutorial - I might have to make one up for a friend of mine!

That's it exactly.  It was so discouraging to have to frog that project, that I just had to get away from it for a while.  And since I've been wanting a project bag for quite some time, I decided it would be a nice change of pace.  Now that I have my niffty bag, I'm ready to get back to my knitting! lol.   (And, no, it didn't sound dorky) lol...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suddenlysandra
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009 01:07:07 PM »

Yep yep yep - this *definitely* rocks - great project, great tutorial - thanks for posting it for us!  Now where did I put that stiff interfacing ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009 06:04:34 PM »

You should totally be ridiculously pleased with it!!!  That is a bag to envy and drool over!  Great job!

I'll take mine in a nice torquoise with black trim please  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
justforme
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009 06:48:53 PM »

I love your bag, love the colors and the design is perfect. Good Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. -Indian saying.

True regret is not what you've done but what you have not done.
Lellibo

Failiure is always an option

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009 05:31:40 AM »

That is really good. I may have to attempt one for my crochet stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes
Shade of Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009 07:34:21 AM »

Owww I love it! Lovely colors too.
I have to give this a try sometime!
Did you use anything to give it extra strength or is the fabric just firm enough. I don't like a knitting bag to be too floppy if you know what I mean. Yours looks just perfect.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch81
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009 07:52:17 AM »

yep, used stiff interfacing on the outside pieces, and the inside lining is sturdy black canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Heaz
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009 04:10:38 PM »

I've come to believe that the only way I'll ever find THE perfect knitting project bag is...well...to design one. Yours turned out beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009 05:40:33 AM »

What a beautiful bag!  I love the enclosed magnets idea...brilliant!  Thanks so much for sharing and posting the tut!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
soorawn
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009 09:52:40 AM »

This is deadly pretty, and so practical!  The magnets for holding the yarn bag are a great idea!  Thank you for posting the instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
eaon2002
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009 08:21:51 PM »

Just wanted to give a heads up... working on this bag... just finished the outside... BEAUTIFUL!  I am so stoked to have this one done.... It a Christmas present for my boyfriends mom.
Ill post pictures just as soon as its finished.
I will be making my mother one as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eaon2002
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009 12:52:18 PM »

Ok so its all done.  I just want to forewarn anyone working with canvas, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE DRYER.  I had to get it drycleaned, which didnt get all the wrinkles out of it.  I just worked around it.
This is a christmas present for my Boyfriends Mother Smiley

Thanks for looking! 
And thanks for posting the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009 01:07:31 PM »

Beautiful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiLynn85
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009 01:31:00 PM »

I am just about to start working on this today, but I really really really want to see your pictures eaon2002!!!! Its says that photobucket is unhappy with you on my computer and they're not showing up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
eaon2002
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009 02:40:37 PM »

sorry, i reorganized my pictures.  I actually ended up making a second one, which i was just about to spam Smiley
Ill post all the pictures up in just a minute, cause they are still downloading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eaon2002
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009 03:18:51 PM »

Ok well that only took 30 minutes... having probs with photobucket.

Here goes.
This is the first bag.  Christmas present for boyfriends mother. Basically just the shell of the bag, none of the fancies in the inside.

Heres the second go-around.  My mom requested a bag just like this one with a couple of mods.
She wanted something to hold her laptop on the inside, and a water bottle and umbrella pocket on the outside.  So TADA!  this is it Smiley

So there you go a couple of inspirations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiLynn85
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009 03:47:45 PM »

Thanks!!! They look great!!! Now if only I can stop lurking on the forums and get to work on mine....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

TheRobotSays
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009 08:52:14 PM »

i've been so lazy about making myself a bag for all my supplies. I should get off my butt and make one.
I love your design btw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JodiLynn85
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009 08:58:06 PM »

Got the outside done tonight. Looks great. Even with the interfacing (dummy me accidentally grabbed the wrong kind - its the tear away kind for machine embroidery) its a little too floppy. Will this be rectified when I add the inside of the bag? Or should I figure out something to do about this now before I add the guts to the bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

eaon2002
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009 06:58:08 AM »

I would def say go out and buy some super stiff interfacing.  I dont see why it would be a problem if you did is on the inside pieces.  The bags i made are a bit soft, but they still have stay up power.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiLynn85
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009 02:38:39 PM »

Took me a while (actually, just a huge intermission inbetween for the holidays) but I finished the bag.

Here it is:

And here it is all loaded up:

The pockets ended up different sizes than what they were supposed to be, but its allright. The bag itself is a little wonky, but it was a first for me in many ways. First bag of this size (I've always done smaller), first time working with canvas, first time installing a zipper in about 12 years, etc etc. I don't mind its wonky. It'll still work.

Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

crystabrittany

my 4-year-old cousin is my idol.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010 09:05:36 PM »

So.  I'm super excited about this tutorial, and I finally went out and bought my fabric and start sewing away.  First I find that the interfacing I'm using isn't quite as stiff as I'd want, but the fabric is pretty intense, so I'm okay with it.  Power through, I say!

Well.

I didn't really use my brain, so when I sewed the canvas pieces to the outside pieces, I sewed them to the WRONG side of the pattern fabric.  Just now perusing all of your lovely examples (while trying to figure out how to make the bottom) I realized my mistake.  Aaaccch.  This is not something you can power through.  Or, you can, and it'll be a waste of time. 

*sigh*  Now to find my seam ripper...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cygnet_Flying
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010 07:34:48 AM »

You had me a Cyclone fabric! This is a great project to do for a friend who happens to be an ISU grad and a knitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010 09:13:29 AM »

Wink Wow it looks so professional, just awesome.
Thanks for the tute. Will have to book mark it & save it for latter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Poppet vs. Ami Swap"/partners

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
wademinor
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010 06:26:31 PM »

I wish I could sew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ariethine
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010 08:51:04 PM »

Heya! I've had this bookmarked for some time now, and I'm really excited that I did, because I've learned how to knit!! Cheesy Thanks SOOO much for the text tute! It's really awesome. (I'd love to get started on it right away but I have a few swap items to make and I don't have super stiff interfacing atm!!) If I do make one, then I'll definitely show it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Honeybeee
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010 08:44:13 AM »

This is a really great idea. I always just use whatever bag i have lying around and all my needles are in a bundle with an elastic. I think I am going to follow your example and make a knitting bag w/ accessories to suit my needs. Thanks for the idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{*~*}
Ariethine
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010 10:51:35 AM »

This is a really great idea. I always just use whatever bag i have lying around and all my needles are in a bundle with an elastic. I think I am going to follow your example and make a knitting bag w/ accessories to suit my needs. Thanks for the idea

SAME!! Lol! Smiley I'm looking for fabrics for this now, so hopefully it will get done within the next two weeks. ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowfox
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012 08:48:58 PM »

So I made this bag, and it came out pretty good!  I didn't quite center the zipper (oops), and the only thing that really bugs me is that my pockets came out rather flopping (the inside pockets).  I don't sew a whole lot, and nothing this complexity.  Anyone have any ideas how I can improve it next time and get better pockets?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012 09:16:24 AM »

I love the fabric you chose, shadowfox! I don't have much in the way of sewing skills either so sorry I don't have any advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012 07:38:16 PM »

I am not a knitter but I LOVE this bag!  Size and shape are perfect!  So cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jupandy
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012 06:57:23 PM »

It's awesome.  As to the water bottle sweating and getting the yarn and magazine, patterns wet-make a cozy for your water bottle.  Then it wouldn't sweat.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
How to Make Blueberry Pie
How to Make Roasted Peaches in Basil Mascarpone Cream
Lighter Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Chefs Corner: Whoopie Pies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...