A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorative Soundproofing?  (Read 1011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KellyMilly
« on: October 25, 2009 10:49:09 PM »

I live in an apartment and one of my rooms is kind of echo-ey, which is probably bothersome to my downstairs neighbors. I currently have nothing on the walls, but was hoping to hang something there to absorb sound. Ideas?

I'm can't spend a lot of money on this, and after doing a bit of research, I found something called homasote, which is a fiberboard. I plan to cover rectangular pieces of it in pretty fabric to hang on two of the walls. I have no idea how much homasote costs, or how effective it would be. Are there other materials I could use? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009 04:27:56 AM »

I once helped soundproof a recording studio (in the basement to residential flats) by attaching egg cartons- the bit the egg sits in- to the walls and then covering it with fabric(I think we used hessian in a couple of layers) It worked really well and once the fabric was over no-one was any the wiser
. I know we also used a couple of cartons glued onto a canvas and then painted brightly in the "lounge" as wall art and the difference on the hollow sound there was huge. It has something to do with sound waves being absorbed instead of just being reflected. Roll Eyes We had some fab parties there as well asdid a lot of professional recording and never got complaints Wink
The carton-art also looked much better than I expected but it took several layer of paint to cover them as they suck up loads before they get glossy.
Usually a room is echo-y when it is quite empty of soft furnishings so I would imagine any fabric or fibre wallhangings would help, as would furniture with soft cushions etc.

If you are worried about downstairs neighbours the best bet would be to add thick floor rugs as heels on a hard surface really echoes down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dogswife
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009 03:40:22 AM »

We have big birds and they are in a room of their own. The noise was just bouncing off the walls so we took insulation board....just styrafoam board.....they come in 4 ft by 8 ft pieces and we cut them in half and covered them in fleece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live well, laugh often, love much
little button
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009 01:08:56 AM »

yes homasote can be used as sound proofing - cost here in Australia of similar stuff recently was AUS$60 for a 120cm x 240cm (approx 4' x 8' US$50), but I gather like most things are much cheaper in USA, and you can get smaller pieces.

Sound reflects off hard surfaces - so if you have a hard floor then covering it with carpet or rugs (cheaper) will help (think of a cinema and all the carpet & fabrics used).  It was very noticable when my DD preschool covered half the room with carpet with how much sound they absorbed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009 02:43:03 PM »

I just read in a book on small spaces that you could line a wall with book cases filled with books as a sound barrier. They also suggested using cork board. I think you can get these in small tiles and if in an apartment you could use some of the that hanging putty so it isn't permanent. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KellyMilly
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009 07:31:34 PM »

Really great ideas. Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 Emmys Fashion Predictions Revealed
Cara Delevingne Models Topshop For London Fashion Week
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014 Highlights: Sporty Trends
NYFW Spring 2014: How Top Models Party Post-Fashion Week
New York Fashion Week Spring 2014: The Most Stunning Street-Style Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...