A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drow elf from the Underdark - and princess Leia? What the...??? Lots 'o pics  (Read 5602 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , halloween_costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La Maestra
« on: October 25, 2009 08:42:12 PM »

So, I was wondering if I should wear this costume for Halloween - I worked so hard on it, and am proud of how it turned out, but the make-up is time consuming to put on (and to remove even longer) - and I'm thinking that not so many people are going to recognize the character - who really knows what a drow elf is anyway, except SciFi/Fantasy readers?

Leia and the drow elf strike a pose

The gauntlets of death

Leia trying to subdue the evil elf using the force

The hooded drow (why is it when somebody is taking your picture they don't tell you your hood is all askew?)

I don't know who this guy is, but he's a demon, so I had to kill him.  With a smile.

The green leather was so very much on sale at Tandy - gee, I wonder why?  But it's perfect for a dark elf.  I'm planning on adding a tooth necklace, maybe (a whole row of these greyish, long tooth-looking beads I found, like from the creature I took the hide from) - or would that be too much?  I am going to add more dreads and braids to the wig, when I get time to make them, and maybe some spider beads - too much?.

The first time I wore this was a couple of weeks ago, and I used makeup that was soap based face paint (came highly recommended by the costume shop - Graftobian, with a fixative) - it was awful and wore off all over the place.  This time I used black eyeshadow - takes a long time to get on, but took almost 6 hours before it showed signs of wear and sweat smearing (the picture with the demon is the last one before heading to the room - very sweaty and shiny at that point, and a little patchy, but not noticeable at a distance).

So - should I wear it?  Or just save it for the SciFi/Fantasy conventions?  Any tips?  Comments/ Suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoeless sailor
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 08:48:50 PM »

Who cares if those not in the know don't recognize exactly what you are; you look like something! And maybe you can draw a few people over to our side, the side of awesome geekiness. Its a really great costume, I say go for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 08:56:38 PM »

I don't recognize the character, but I can tell that it's an awesome costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 09:00:35 PM »

Who cares if those not in the know don't recognize exactly what you are; you look like something!  

I totally agree.  Also, obviosly I don't know what you used to get it off with, but if you try baby oil (or olive oil) and just rub it in and then wash it off with a good dish soap.  Dawn would be the least harsh on your skin.  Just keep repeating this till its all gone; then follow it with your regular face routine.  Dish soap can be very drying, but if you're slathering oil on your face first, it won't be too bad.  It shouldn't take too long either, the oil will cut right through the eyeshadow and the Dawn will cut the oil!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 09:17:18 PM »

Who cares if they know what it is! It's a great costume! Rock it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 09:27:01 PM »

That is a really really AWESOME costume!  You should definately wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 05:14:07 AM »

As a fellow geek, I say WEAR THE COSTUME!!!!!!   You've put a lot of effort into it, you'll have a lot of comments (even from people that don't know what you are, they'll react to the awsomeness of the costume)  Also, you'll get a thrill everytime someone comes up to you and KNOWS what you are (you may find some people you would've never thought were geeks Wink)

I work @ Magic Kingdom/Disney and always go out of my way to comment at the Halloween parties on exceptional and/or unusual costumes.  I'm always excited when I see something I recognize and the person wearing it is always excited too (someone came dressed as Spoiler from the Batman books last year, I was one of 2 people to recognize her)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
sugarpumpkin
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 01:15:03 PM »

I have always wanted to make a Drizzt Do'Urden costume...except that I'm a girl haha

Your Drow is AMAZING!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sequins-and-stripes.blogspot.com

Today, today its all or nothing, all the way, my praise goes out to you, yah all my praise goes out to you.
Today, Today I live for one thing, to give you praise in everything I do, yah all my praise goes out to you!
La Maestra
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 06:55:50 PM »

I have always wanted to make a Drizzt Do'Urden costume...except that I'm a girl haha

Your Drow is AMAZING!!!!!

Thanks for the compliments everybody!  Grin Grin Grin  You made my day!

I modeled my idea after what I thought Drizzt might look like if he WERE a girl Wink. I just need to splurge and get purple contacts now.

The makeup comes off with soap and water - it just gets inside my ears, around my eyes, etc - and there's of much of it to remove, regular makeup wipes are out of the question!  I just hopped in the shower to get the majority off - then spent another 20 minutes doing detail cleanup.  I'm still finding it behind my ears and in my nose.  Maybe I'll give this a go if I end up at any adult parties - if I hang out with Princess Leia I may have to wear my  Stargate jumpsuit just to be less dramatic.  (I really need to make something Star Wars so I match that Leia kid.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamdolleyes
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 07:45:08 PM »

if it helps i totally knew what it was even from the thumbnail

(but i think i am a nerd!)

if people ask, just say "dark elf" Cheesy

thats commitment, painting yourself black...i did it last year! haha never again!

i hope you decide to wear it, or go somewhere you feel like wearing it b/c it is awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Painted Umbrellas
DIY: Turning Flowers Into Beautiful Works Of Art
DIY Easter Baskets with Dian Thomas
DIY Statement Necklace with P.S. I Made This
How to Make a DIY Chalkboard
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...