A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 51 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirt, Bolero, and Tie (moderately pic heavy)  (Read 10111 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , bolero , tie , skull , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elphelba
« on: October 25, 2009 02:15:22 PM »

Hello good people of Craftster. I've been hanging out here for a few years now and have really enjoyed the opportunity to see what other crafty people have been creating. I've been sewing for about 4 years now and have made a bunch of projects but haven't had the chance to use a camera to get some pics of my work online. I made my entire outfit (skirt, cami, bolero, bra, and panties) and I made my partner's tie. I drafted all patterns myself. I finished the skirt about 2 years ago. It took about 100 hours of work to complete (it was one of the first times I used silk and I was very new to drafting so making the yoke part of the skirt was very difficult. The cami and bolero are more recent creations. The skirt is very heavily inspired by a Lipservice skirt (it's from their autumn line from a few years ago but I don't recall the details right now and I can't find pics of the original at the moment.) When I saw this skirt I fell in love but didn't have the money to buy it and thought drafting it would be a nice challenge. It is made out of acetate brocade and silk. The cami is a really nice soft jersey with stretch lace, and the bolero is cotton velvet with a crepe satin lining (The lace and lining were added by hand). The tie is made out of the same brocade as the skirt (it's silver and black instead of black on black) and has a satin lining. The skirt looks a little neater in real life, apparently the fabrics it is made out of don't photograph too nicely. Also, the white streaks on the cami aren't stains, that's just the way the light reflected off the spandex in the fabric. Anyways, now on to the pictures.

The both of us together:

The Skirt

Full Front View

Full Back View

Full Side View

Front Detail

Back Detail

The Bolero

Front View

Side View

Lining

Tie

Full Tie

Fabric Detail (this is the same as the patterned fabric on my skirt, except the fabric on the skirt is black on black)

Comments and Criticism are welcome, I've been looking forward to hearing how to improve my designs and sewing skills.

Fabric Information:
Thanks for the lovely comments Smiley. I got the fabric off ebay from Renaissance Fabrics. When I was looking for that store again I saw that Fabric Masterpieces is also selling it. Looks like Renaissance has it for slightly cheaper (and has a fairly large selection of different broccades) but both seem to have good feedback.

*Like most brocades this stuff can be a real PITA to work with, so if you're going to get it make sure you get enough to leave very large seam allowances, and if you're going to use it for something heavy duty with a lot of stress (like a corset) you'll want to back it with something stronger or the fabric will separate at the seams. I wouldn't recommend pre-washing this stuff, it will develop permanent creases and wrinkles. It did seem to tolerate really high heat on the iron very well (some wrinkles wouldn't come out otherwise) and that seemed to make pressing the seams easier than lower heat but make sure you try on a small piece of your own first. Sorry for the mini-novel there but figured some one might benefit from the heads up.

Thanks for being so patient with the multiple screw-ups involved with getting (and keeping) this posting up and running. I've definitely learned a lot from this process and hopefully next time I post something it will work the first time and stay working.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009 10:35:38 AM by Elphelba - Reason: Re-posted pictures that work :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Elphelba
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 02:26:30 PM »

Sorry, I've never posted images here so I'm working to get rid of the links and make them work properly now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Elphelba
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 02:50:02 PM »

Ok, sorry about that. I finally got the pics to work. Goooo me Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weirdlilcraftychic

oh wow look at me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 03:27:53 PM »

Where did you get that skull fabric? Beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
19libra86
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 03:48:59 PM »

The skirt is wonderful, it's very nice and elegant. I'm loving the tie too! Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notanotherxerox
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 07:41:17 PM »

Beautiful!!! I especially love the print on the skirt and tie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009 08:52:52 PM »

The skirt looks so professional!  Everything is lovely.  I'll chime in asking where on earth you got that kick ass skull fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 07:03:09 AM »

Thanks for the lovely comments Smiley. I got the fabric off ebay from Renaissance Fabrics. When I was looking for that store again I saw that Fabric Masterpieces is also selling it. Looks like Renaissance has it for slightly cheaper (and has a fairly large selection of different broccades) but both seem to have good feedback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 11:09:27 AM »

That fabric is to die for! Thanks for the info! And you look Stunning baby! Wonderful job..us gals know how much of a bitch that was to make! Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 12:42:29 PM »

Gorgeous! I have seen that fabric before, at Renaissance, and you used it to excellent effect! I would have never thought to make a tie, but that pattern lends itself perfectly to one! Its wonderful in the skirt as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Visiting Author Jodi Picoult in Rome
Kingdom Wars II: Tartarus Book Trailer
Eric Wight Draws His Character Frankie Pickle
Little Things Book Trailer
Sandra Harper Talks About Over the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...