A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Peacock Costume  (Read 6534 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiecate57
« on: October 25, 2009 10:23:53 AM »

(

Just wanted to share my costume. I went to my first Halloween party of the season last night and the (drunk) people there liked it! Smiley

I wore colored extensions in my hair (x4 @ 3.50 each from Claire's or Icing) and bought some feathered fake lashes ($5 at Walgreens), I had all my makeup on hand (I'm an eyeshadow nut!). I had a pair of peacock clips in my accessories from Forever 21 that I got about a six months ago in Connecticut.

I'd never worn eyelashes before and didn't know whether to do my makeup first or second. Definitely do the makeup FIRST, then apply the lashes!

My dress I got from Sears (I think it was about $35) and it is still functional as a dress, the peacock train is fully detachable. I had my shoes on hand and picked up a pair of sheer pantyhose.

(

For the feather contraption, I used:
  • Gorilla Glue
  • two shades of tulle (1 yard each @ 1.25 per yard at Walmart)
  • an eBay lot of 100 feathers (varying lengths but most are over 3 feet long...and 100 was waaaay too many. I used 30 at the most.)
  • thick elastic for attaching the dress to the feathers
  • thin elastic for attaching the two layers together
  • and elastic jewelry line for attaching the feathers to the second layer, one by one.

I Gorilla Glued the first layer of feathers to the darker shade of tulle from the underside so the feathers would show perfectly in a fan. If I'd had more time or ambition, I could have created a wire bustle underneath using this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxRdDjp67g) tutorial. That was sort of what I had envisioned. So the first fan I used Gorilla Glue but the second fan I tried using the clear, elastic jewelry/fishing line. I tied about 15 feathers in place and scrunched them together in a casual fan shape on top of the Gorilla Glue layer. The resulting layers were tied together using elastic and then attached to the dress. I wore a thick (1"+) piece of elastic just under my bustline, knotted in the back. The piece of elastic was about 18" longer than my bustline so that the end could pop out the back of my dress over the top, like where your bra would hook (That's the white you see on the back of the dress, it was pretty thick elastic). That 18" of elastic was wrapped around the feather contraption and secured. Then a piece of leftover tulle was used to 'cover the raw edges' (which wasn't the most professional job, I admit). I'm happy with how it came out and it was plenty cute and creative for the group I was around (pre-fab costumes that bordered on slutty/oversexed).

If I did it again, I would use Gorilla Glue all the way. It dried kind of stiff so it does give some structural integrity to the piece. I would have done 3-4 cascading layers and left more of the white feather quill part in tact so that the elastic could wrap around that, possibly after using floral tape to first wrap up the white quills/feather edges. I would suggest attaching the feathers at more than one point to the dress simply because to me, in the mirror, it looked better when the feathers were flush with the dress. But at the party, from a practical standpoint, having the feathers attached up high at one point made the feathers more mobile so I could shift them to sit down. It would have sucked to not be able to sit for the whole party.

Comments/criticism welcome but only in a constructive sense. I am also happy to provide more explanation on the construction of the costume. I will be wearing it out again next weekend for actual Halloween Smiley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009 10:24:47 AM by cassiecate57 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
ourlittlebox

www.ourlittlebox.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 12:24:24 PM »

Wow! I love peacocks, and the costume looks great on you. Loving the eyelashes too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happy_haylee_3
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 10:29:57 PM »

Wow I love this! It's better than any peacock costume you buy for sure!
Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indiana
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 05:05:32 AM »

Wow, very original and classy! Great job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 01:47:50 PM »

Yours is very similar to one I made a couple years ago.  Except I had a long dress and mom and I cut it shorter in the front.  But I also wore feathers on top of my head and long gloves, and so many people in the dark bar thought I was like a can-can girl or something.  The feathers on my butt apparently weren't noticable enough.  Yours look better.  The tulle under them was obviously the right choice!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiecate57
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 10:22:44 PM »

chutz,

your dress + feathers looks more put together. I hate how the raw edges of the feathers don't really look "done" at the crux of where the dress meets the feathers. I loved everything about the outfit except that little bit...

Thanks, everybody. I dreaded coming back to the thread for fear of mean comments...I should have known better on Craftser, you folks are always friendly.

I got really inspired by a peacock costume posted on Craftster a few weeks ago...it came across my Facebook feed. I have a personal obsession with them so it only seemed fitting I'd don the look for myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
{faye}
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009 12:06:38 PM »

I love it, and I'm totally sober. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyrefairee
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010 05:38:57 PM »

Oh, that is so awesome! Now to find and occasion so I can make my own version...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ursula Le Guin on Her Favorite Childhood Books
Ursula Le Guin on the Influence of the Earthsea Series
Mark Nepo on Creating the "Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Audiobook
Joanna Brooks Reveals Her Story in "The Book of Mormon Girl"
Kathy Reichs on Her Novel "Bones Are Forever"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...