A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
841 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween Homecoming Award Ribbons/Mums (with tute!)  (Read 3955 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 25, 2009 09:40:18 AM »

For you non-Texans, a homecoming mum is a huge award ribbbon type thing that high school kids wear to the homecoming dances and games.  They are in school colors with small plastic bits representing their graduating year, sports they do, etc on the strings.  Back in the day you used a real mum, now you use craft store kinds.

I held a Halloween party yesterday, and as prizes for best costumes and pumpkin, made the kids some Halloween award ribbons/mums.  They went over HUGE for something so simple and cheap, so I had to share it here.  Some wore them to the Homecoming dance that was later in the evening.   Cheesy

To make, you'll need a packet of three mum circles (about 4 inches) with a hole in the middle- any cardboard with a hole in the center will do if you can't find them.  You'll need several spools of ribbon, fake mums/flowers (I also used a sunflower) and plastic things (I used spiders and plastic fall leaves)

Take 4 or 5 inches of ribbon and do this.  To make a layered ribbon, put them together and do this (put the ends together). Staple to the first cardboard circle like so, until the whole circle is filled.  

Depending on how you want the petals to look, either add the mum to the flip side or the ribbon-filled side, both make a nice flower.  Hot glue it down.  I had to spraypaint some yellow mums to make black.

Take a separate circle and staple down the trailing ribbon ends, at various lengths.  Use lots of ribbon and all different sizes, etc.  

Remember, plastic flotsam is an integral part to a homecoming mum.  Add plastic spiders, army men, tiny babies, googly eyes- your choice.  

Take a large safety pin and hot glue to the back of a third cardboard circle.  Add a bit of ribbon over the edge so it can move around without breaking off.  

Glue all three circles together like this- first the flower, then the dangling ribbons, then the back with the pin  You're done!

To make this ribbon, simple take a very wide ribbon and gather one end, glue down around the edge of a circle, and add your flower and tendrils as with the other mums.  

For this one on the end, add some fake fall leaves around the center hole, and glue mum over top.  

To layer mum colors, pull the mum apart and stack another color inside, then add the original color on top.  Hot glue at each step of the way so all layers will stay.

Cheap & fun!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013 07:15:03 PM by sparrowowl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nmcakemom07

All this acting normal is EXHAUSTING!!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 09:59:04 AM »

These are really cool.  I am totally making these for my son's kindergarten teachers for Halloween.  Thanks for the tutorial.  Hitting THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Given a cape, tiara and a strong cup of coffee, yeah, I could rule the world.

my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/nmcakemom07/
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 10:03:11 AM »

WHAT?!  mums are a texas thing?  i had no clue... 
anyways, these are really cute.  i always thought they got kind of tacky (like, girls with 3 or 4 flowers, tripping over ribbons) but these are fun and i love the pumpkins wearing them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Healynn
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 10:13:02 AM »

These are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 10:27:49 AM »

Great take on the homecoming mum!  We just might have to make some of these.
Oh, one thing you left off the mums.... COWBELLS!   Cheesy  You just can't have a mum without cowbell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BhamBaby

I'm as pure as the driven slush

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009 06:46:48 PM »

We use to make mum ribbons for Homecoming back in the mid 80's back home in Alabama. I saved a few of my favorites, except ours was in our school colors.

I would have loved a holiday themed one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 08:51:48 AM »

Hah, it does need more cowbell!

I have never seen holiday themed ones, but they are coming out again for Christmas!  Imagine all the stuff you can find to put on them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 15/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 12/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 10/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 16/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 15/28
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...